Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeaky Clutch Pedal

bonjo

I noticed my clutch pedal squeaking when pressed. Similar to the noise/feel you get when you press it with wet synthetic sole shoe.

I have lubed as much as can the components inside the cabin.

I mentioned it to the dealer at the last service & was told it is the rod that goes from the pedal through onto the master cylinder. There is a rubber where it joins. Replacing it means taking the master cylinder out.

The outcome was that as it didn't affect the braking efficiency it was an unnecessary expense.

Has anybody had this issue.

More important, is there another solution?

I noticed my clutch pedal squeaking when pressed. Similar to the noise/feel you get when you press it with wet synthetic sole shoe.

I have lubed as much as can the components inside the cabin.

I mentioned it to the dealer at the last service & was told it is the rod that goes from the pedal through onto the master cylinder. There is a rubber where it joins. Replacing it means taking the master cylinder out.

The outcome was that as it didn't affect the braking efficiency it was an unnecessary expense.

Has anybody had this issue.

More important, is there another solution?

Try an application of rubber lubricant between the shaft and the rubber.

[OK I know there will be loads of innuendo but I couldn't think of another way to express a possible solution :rolleyes:]

• Like 1

Try an application of rubber lubricant between the shaft and the rubber.

[OK I know there will be loads of innuendo but I couldn't think of another way to express a possible solution :rolleyes:]

If you mean this from the inside of the cabin, I have already done so. However I just got hold of a synthetic oil than initially runs and gradually thickens to the consistency of honey. I'll have a go with this

Thanks

This may not be related to your problem, but a while ago I had a squeaky clutch mechanism that that drove me mad.

I don't know how sure you are regarding the source of the noise, on mine it was very difficult to locate as the noise was reflected off other parts.

I eventually traced it to the slave cylinder (or so I thought). I bought some excellent silicon rubber lubricant spray from Halfords and sprayed the rubber parts, no luck.

Finally I found the cause of the squeak was where the clutch release fork pivits inside the clutch (on the release fork support).

It took 20 minutes to fix, you can remove the square rubber cover where the clutch fork lever exits the clutch housing and the you can insert your finger with a small dab of grease on the end to lub the pivit. Re-inserting the rubber was a bit fiddly but it went back in the end.

Solved my squeak.

PS

The Halfords silicon lubricant is great for rubber squeaks (yellow & silver can), be very careful using inside the engine bay especially around the air intake as silicon kills oxygen sensors. Use a cloth to stop any over spray.

Ian

Clutch_unit_components.pdf

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I have the same noise as IanXT4 describes but don't have the manual dexterity to solve it... so I'll ask the garage to do it next time the cars in - thanks Ian.

Gosh this is a post resurrected from the past !!

I would recommend that anyone doing this uses a dab of black moly grease (molybdenum disulphide) as its more resistant to drying out.

More confusing to me was that the squeaky CLUTCH pedal didnae affect BRAKING EFFICIENCY..........thank goodness for that then?

• Like 1

The only rubber on the master cylinder is the dust cap around the actuator rod - the rod itself rests in a recess on the piston and it's usual to put a dab of rubber grease on the contact point. I wouldn't have thought that this rubber shroud would squeak but contrary to dealer advice it can be removed without removing the master cylinder - there's enough movement on the metal pipe exit the cylinder to pull the cylinder forward of the bulkhead. I don't know about the Rav but most Toyotas have a rubber block between the actuator rod adjusting nut and the clevis. You should be able to see it if you look up at the point where the rod connects to the top of the clutch pedal. It's a sort of rubber bung inside a metal cylinder and this will often squeak when compressed - presumably the rubber bit becomes loose and rubs against the cylinder. The rubber block assembly comes as part of a new master cylinder but I would imagine that it's available as a separate part. To test it - give the rubber end a good dousing of WD40 to check if matters improve.

A 100% sure way of getting rid of the squeak....trade it in for a Automatic :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links