Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Injector Problem

elsee350

Hi, has anyone else had to replace their injectors on a 2.2 D4D avensis? I've just been told mine needs to have all four replaced at a Toyota garage and they are

quoting me £2100. The car has done 80,000 miles and started running 'rough' around about a week ago, is this normal for the injectors to go like this? It seems very expensive to me, can anyone in the know shed any light?

Thanks

Paul.

its not as common these days to replace injectors as in years gone by

check for other things before the injectors.... like the Air filter,Fuel filter

Egr valve etc ...the fuel filter is a replacement at 40,000 mls has yours been changed??

whats the air filter like???,is the egr blocked all these things contribute to rough running ....also is the turbo ok???

Hi, has anyone else had to replace their injectors on a 2.2 D4D avensis? I've just been told mine needs to have all four replaced at a Toyota garage and they are

quoting me £2100. The car has done 80,000 miles and started running 'rough' around about a week ago, is this normal for the injectors to go like this? It seems very expensive to me, can anyone in the know shed any light?

Thanks

Paul.

If I was you, I would ask to find out how exactly they came to this conclusion. If a Diagnostic Scan pointed bad injectors, ask to see the print out with the injector values. In my opinion it's not that common all 4 injectors to go bad if any at all. I have had bad experiences with Mr T. Some of the guys there could be quite ignorant and or looking for business.

Thx for the replies guys, the car was given a full service 2 months ago with all filters being replaced. I'm waiting to speak with the Technician later today to go through what his diagnostic came up with ill keep you updated with what i find out.

Cheers.

After speaking with the technician it seems all four of my injectors are out of spec? they gave me a spec of +3 to -3 tolerance of what the injectors should be,

mine are all between +5 to -5. I do not profess to understand what exactly he is saying but to me for all 4 injectors to just go out of spec all at the same time doesn't

seem to make sense, I wonder if they don't really know what the matter is? I'm taking the car out of the garage & trying some injection cleaner first before deciding what to do if nothing clears up. Has no one else had this problem? Any comments/advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Paul

Take the car to Feather diesel http://www.featherdieselservices.co.uk/ in Elland just outside of Halifax. They fixed one of my injectors 12k ago and are trained to reprogramme any injector on any diesel vehicle. These guys are professionals and came recommended by several garages and saved me £2400 by NOT going to the main dealer in Bradford. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Paul

Guanocascade,thanks for the advice I have just booked the car in with Feather Diesels monday morning. will let everyone know how I get on.

Cheers Paul.

After speaking with the technician it seems all four of my injectors are out of spec? they gave me a spec of +3 to -3 tolerance of what the injectors should be,

mine are all between +5 to -5. I do not profess to understand what exactly he is saying but to me for all 4 injectors to just go out of spec all at the same time doesn't

seem to make sense, I wonder if they don't really know what the matter is? I'm taking the car out of the garage & trying some injection cleaner first before deciding what to do if nothing clears up. Has no one else had this problem? Any comments/advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Paul

if your looking for system cleansr try these www.fueltechexperts.com. its not cheap but reviews claim its the one to go for.

but dont they all.

Last weekend my car displayed the engine management light, together with TRC OFF and VSC. It seemed to run ok, but obviously the traction control wasn't working.

I took it into my local dealer a day later and they told me the diagnostic code referred to number 3 injector (TRC Off etc being "one of those things"....). They said that they're going to change them all (which is fine by me, as it's under warranty). I'm just awaiting the injectors arriving and then they'll have my car to do them.

It is a bit concerning though - my car has only done 44K. I'm just relieved it's under warranty, as the prices I'm seeing here are frightening!

It's also persuaded me to take out an extended warranty next year, just before the original 3yr warranty expires.

Hi i needed new injectors in my t180 after 12k the car had a heavy rattle performed ok just had noisy injectors. Was told that this was commonm on early t180 engines. 30k later all seems ok with the new set of injectors.

Hi Guys, just to keep you all updated, car went to feather diesels for diagnosis - 2 injectors failed other 2 on the limit, decided to have all four replaced anyway with a total cost of £1380. :crybaby: compared to the Toyota cost of £2100 this saved me £720 :yahoo: they reckon that in six months time software will be available to allow them to repair my type of injector. can definately recommend them they really do know what they are doing v.proffesional setup.

Car is running great now.

Paul

Thanks

Paul.

hello Paul

The only atomizer tips must be changed + adjusted an opening pressure on the fuel stand. It costs gradually less than offered even iin reliable workshop dealing with fuel injectionparts repair.

Besides - even though you change them , you'd inspect an EGR valve whether or not is is blocked even partly + flexibility of tubrocharger vanes drive. Good luck/Igor

• 3 years later...

I've just had an injector go. Car was running a little rough yesterday - removed the engine cover and there's injector #1 spitting fuel out, as if the union fitting is not intact. Also the injector seems not to be centred in the injector port?? It seems to be sitting off centre especially compared to the other injectors.

Does anyone have any ideas?

^^ This is a 2.2 litre D4D version ^^

Hi John,

I don't have a picture at present - I never thought of taking one. I'll take one this evening and post it on here.

I have a question though: What do you mean by "popped out"? Surely a high pressure common rail fuel system such as this would be torqued etc. such that an injector could not "pop out"?

Thanks,

Damian

They are usually just pushed in and fastened at the top,

You said " injector #1 spitting fuel out, as if the union fitting is not intact. Also the
injector seems not to be centred in the injector port?? It seems to be
sitting off centre especially compared to the other injectors."

So from you description sounds like its not sitting in the cylinder head correctly

Yes, I agree, with what my description sounds like. I was querying the possibility of how the injector "pops" out?

From another thread where somebody had posted a diagram of the assembly I see where it appears that the injector is clamped in place. It sounds as if the clamp may have loosened from your description / response.

I will post photos this evening.

Thanks,

Damian.

Photos attached

I hope these are appropriate. If you need any more detail, just shout. I can take more photos if required.

Thanks,

Damian

post-124112-0-21964900-1402940501_thumb.

post-124112-0-69357000-1402940535_thumb.

post-124112-0-22260400-1402940591_thumb.

Have you tried to tightening up the union nut on the injector? Is it this union nut that you are saying is not sitting straight?

Can you take a picture of #1 injector from the top, where the wire goes in..is this not sitting straight either?

Is it Definitely diesel and not oil spraying out?

what exact year and engine type do you have...

It's a 2006 2.2 D4D - engine type B21? I think.

I was reasonably sure it was diesel spray ....

post-124112-0-35278000-1402949616_thumb.

post-124112-0-74025100-1402949628_thumb.

post-124112-0-00883200-1402949637_thumb.

I just had another check - it's actually oil.

Also as I look at the photos above I notice that the top of the injector #1 (where the electrical connection is) seems to be sitting higher than the other injectors. This, and the fact that the fuel line is offset above the centre of the port, would have me think that the injector has actually been displaced upward.

I did start the car and there was no oil being sprayed out, although this is maybe because the engine is cold?

It may have come loose or maybe a seal has gone? Will it push back down?

I dont know this engine type....im pretty sure you have dreaded 2AD engine....with all the problems.......might be worth looking at the 2AD engine problem sticky in the Rav forum...

heres one with the cam cover off maybe the clamp bolt has come loose?

http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/271298621588_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg

Thanks John - I left it round with my mechanic this morning - the info I got here was of assistance.

Cheers,

D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links