Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clicking Noise From Steering

forevered

for the past few weeks ive noticed a slight clicking noise as i turn the steering wheel slowly when stationary or at parking speed. sounds like its coming from the steering column and is only slight .only hear it once per turn in each direction

i cant be certain it hasnt always been there, but as i say have only noticed it over past few weeks, toyota tech says he dosnt think its anything to worry about ,and was happy for me to drive away from dealer with no action taken, but ive asked for steering column to be stripped and problem sorting whatever it is.

has anyone else had this problem ?

for the past few weeks ive noticed a slight clicking noise as i turn the steering wheel slowly when stationary or at parking speed. sounds like its coming from the steering column and is only slight .only hear it once per turn in each direction

i cant be certain it hasnt always been there, but as i say have only noticed it over past few weeks, toyota tech says he dosnt think its anything to worry about ,and was happy for me to drive away from dealer with no action taken, but ive asked for steering column to be stripped and problem sorting whatever it is.

has anyone else had this problem ?

I had the same problem. This is a quite well-known problem, lots of other Auris users had the same problem. However it is not so serious (right now) you should go to another service the change the whole (!) stirring column.

Sorry.

I had the same problem. This is a quite well-known problem, lots of other Auris users had the same problem. However it is not so serious (right now) you should go to another service the change the whole (!) stirring column.

Sorry.

No, I doubt the noise Forevered can hear has anything to do with the know issue, and to say you need to get the whole steering column replaced is over the top. There was a TSB to carry out some remedial work to the column, I would hope your dealer checked it was outside the range of chassis numbers for affected vehicles. I suspect the noise you can hear may have something to do with the indicator canceling switch, but I think you should return to your dealer and ask him to check your car against the campaign list of cars affected, just to be on the safe side

Kingo :thumbsup:

If i turn my wheel quickly like from one direction to the other... theres a weird noise that I cant describe... only when you turn the wheel quick though, like a rubbing noise on the steering wheel? :s

thanks for the info guys, my cars booked in next monday for investigation, hopefully they will sort it in one visit,also going to mention a intermittent squeak from gearlever when engaging first gear, it only seems to happen when first driving the car , and goes away when car warmed up.sods law says monday will be one of the days when it dosnt do it !

• 2 weeks later...

squeaky 1st gear problem sorted, lack of grease.

clicking noise from steering not sorted ! my car was returned to me from dealer with steering supposed to have been sorted, a part was replaced(cant remember what they said it was called)noise was still there ,maybe not as noticable.phoned to complain to service manager who after a chat with the tech that worked on car said they would order a complete new steering rack , hopfully next week.manager rekons toyota tells them to try replacing the part they fitted first, then the rack :huh:

Sorry.

No, I doubt the noise Forevered can hear has anything to do with the know issue, and to say you need to get the whole steering column replaced is over the top. There was a TSB to carry out some remedial work to the column, I would hope your dealer checked it was outside the range of chassis numbers for affected vehicles. I suspect the noise you can hear may have something to do with the indicator canceling switch, but I think you should return to your dealer and ask him to check your car against the campaign list of cars affected, just to be on the safe side

Kingo :thumbsup:

After the replacement the noise faded away. As I know, I was not the only who needed this replacement.

Yes, the steering column was replaced in my car too. When I did some search on Internet the problem seems to be quite common. The question is: is the new steering column/ rack fault free?

Hi. Just traded in my 2007 auris however I had this same issue and they replaced the steering column twice as the first replacement did the same thing on day 1 after install (to the extent they didn't give me the car back until it was replaced the second time)!

The TSB related work I had done was on the rack not the column.

I had squeaking between gears 1 and 2. They greased it and that was it. It happened again recently. I've never had a car with no grease on the the gear rods!!

my cars in on tuesday for the new steering rack, along with a few more problems.

i have complained to the dealers genral manager about all the problems ive had since buying it in june this year.

squeaky brakes, squeaky clutch, squeaky gear change, i have asked them to look into the clunk/clank noise when letting the clutch out when changing up from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gears{plenty of other owners on here have had same problem}nobody appears to have had it cured though ? and the latest complaint is i am now getting a slight rattle from the engine when it is semi warmed up at idle, maybe after traveling say a mile then listening to it at idle,just hope it will replecate itself when dealer has it the general manager wants to inspect all my problems himself with the dealers head tech

hope all will be sorted, have my doubts though :huh:

I had squeaking between gears 1 and 2. They greased it and that was it. It happened again recently. I've never had a car with no grease on the the gear rods!!

The gear rods were replaced in my car as they worn out. This seems to be another common issue according to Toyota tech.

• 1 month later...

I had same problem and it was down to "intermediate steering shaft" that was quite worn. They said its not dangrous, but I'm not sure if I believe them.

• 1 month later...

Not sure what it adds to the discussion, but I had clicking when turning the wheel whilst reversing, Toyota replaced the whole Steering Column for £800 (works invoice shows the cost) and all the nuts, bolts, mounts etc for it. Clicking is now gone and was completed under warranty.

• 7 months later...

Auris 1.6, 2008. 20k miles.

I have an issue with steering clicking noise when turning after going off pavements(most noticeable ones), as well as when turning at parking speeds.

Toyota service replaced intermediate steering shaft, and now clicking is gone in majority of cases, but there still is sometimes after going off pavements.

Is it normal?

My concern is that intermediate steering shaft was worn, but that there are other causes too :-(

Also, I can notice now sometimes a friction in the steering wheel while at the end points, I think it was not there before :-

Any suggestions?

My warranty is valid 6 more months...

Thanks...

They replaced a clip when they did mine which was apparently catching... may be worth a phone call checking to see if it could be the same thing? Other than that its a MrT job.

They replaced a clip when they did mine which was apparently catching... may be worth a phone call checking to see if it could be the same thing? Other than that its a MrT job.

What is exactly clip?

Thanks...

What is exactly clip?

Thanks...

No idea?! Sorry.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links