Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

All Steamed Up!

Mitsuoka

Is this peculiar to my 1990 Carina 11?

Invariably when I return to the car the windows are steamed up on the inside and when driving the rear window is steamed up( I have figured out how to de-steam the other wondows and windscreen when I am travelling)? Why is this happening? I could use the rear window de-mister but is it for this? I could leave one window partially open?

If you have water in the car somewhere the windows do get steamed up like that. Most likely it is some water in the luggage compartment. Have a look under the spare wheel. I have noticed (on my Carina E) that the rubberplugs in that area sometimes get hard and then you get the water in there.

You should also have a look on the sides behind the wheelarch inside the luggage compartment. I had water there rather often in my old Corolla.

Don't forget to check the floor inside the car. It might also be from wet carpets inside.

Good luck.

Invariably when I return to the car the windows are steamed up on the inside and when driving the rear window is steamed up( I have figured out how to de-steam the other wondows and windscreen when I am travelling)? Why is this happening? I could use the rear window de-mister but is it for this? I could leave one window partially open?

hi mate

your problem is either blocked an A/C filter or you have to switch the sam A/C ON - because of a moisture + adjust A/C to re-circulate air inside the car -- this will help to demist it.

Cheers/Igor

Hi mate,

the 2 previous posters are right but also be prepared to find out that a car of your age could have a weeping heater matrix the little radiator that is part of your heater system which is usually situated close too or behind the dash.UGG! water inside a car makes its own attmosphere thus the steaming effect on your widows. Check the water leval in your engine radiator

what is an a/c filter? Because our car has air con but i can't find an A/c filter?

D

Don't Recirc the air!! Just draw fresh air in.

That is assuming there are no leaks letting water in.

what is an a/c filter? Because our car has air con but i can't find an A/c filter?

D

A/C filter is a filter insert belong to an air conditioning system and it must be inside the cacbin where a gloves box is located, just behind it under the plank cover. This filter is to be changed/cleaned each service period. In your case you should inspect it and either change of blow by air compressed. Cheers/Igor

You need to dry the car out properly - heating on, windows part open, long drive - and see if the problem comes back. It may just be that the interior is a bit damp. I know that on mine the whole thing is damp from being used on rainy days - with driver & passengers wearing wet clothes - and it never gets a proper chance to dry out, and that's why it steams up so fast at the moment.

Sorry for the delay in replying but just come back from hols ( 700 miles in all sorts of weather without any problem and good mpg) and thank you for your replies which struck a few chords!

There is dampness ( and rust ) in the car.

I have noticed a dark area- dustcovering on the headlining in the rear corner of the car and this I assume is to do with a rusted metal rail which runs the length of the car on one side( fitting of roof accessory?)

Also, I explored the boot to check the spare wheel and found underneath water standing and in the lockers either side at the back of the wheel arches. Yes, rubber bungs were hard and there were holes in the metal . I thought that the water was entering via the boot lid but it could be that the water is coming in through these holes in the metal? Should these holes allow collected water to leave the boot or if the water is coming in through them from the road then perhaps they should be covered up?

My car doesn't have air conditioning fitted so presumably no filter?

When I start the car up first thing and accelerate , I hear fluid swoshing about the otherside of the windscreen?

I will try to dry out the car as suggested.

Thanks Howie.

• 2 months later...

Hi Howie,

Is the sowashing sound of water from the front of the windscreen? To me it sounds like you have water standing in the air inlet pipe to the fan.

Hi Howie,

Is the sowashing sound of water from the front of the windscreen? To me it sounds like you have water standing in the air inlet pipe to the fan.

Thanks for replying-

Yes, the bonnet side of the windscreen. It occurs on start up but then goes - is this normal.

With regard to the holes in the boot floor are they there for drainage or what ? Presumably water is coming in off the road through tmem and not via the boot lid as I suspected? The previous owner had a polythene sheet under the boot floor carpet presumably to combat it?

Howie

I have not heard any swoshing sound of water during start up.

The only holes I have seen is those with big rubber plugs. They need to be soft and nice to keep a good sealing to the edge of the hole. I believe that if you have any other holes the previous owner might have made those for drainage and then put the polythene sheet to not letting any water / moisture coming up to the carpet.

I mentioned the sound of water swoshing about when at Toyotas for something and they dismissed it as the cooling system in operation?

I cannot tell whether the holes in the boot floor are 'official or unofficial' but I think I will get suitable rubber seals as you suggest.

It is a lovely car the 1990 Carina 11 but the continual misting up especially on a bleak rainy day is annoying and is probably all to do with dampness.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links