Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noisy Clunky Gear Box

grizzleybear

I've just moved from a 95 Diesel RAV with a four speed box to new 2.2 diesel with a five speed box. Changing through 1,2 and 3 is like stirring a can of marbles with a stick. I know this issue is documented on the web but is Toyota doing anything about this problem?

Many Thanks

Sorry make that a six speed box.

:eek: you found another gear? Don't tell Mr T - they'll make you pay for it ! :lol:

The 4.1 gearbox was a pretty good unit.

Seems like the new versions leave a bit to be desired.

Thanks Bothwell

Really disappointed as my previous RAV was great. It seems everyone knows about this but nothing happens. The Dealer was as vague as vague can be. It doesn't stop this being a good car but it could be a great car!!

Thanks

If you have a brand new vehicle then your gearbox is significantly better than the earlier 6 speeds. It is a very special gearbox with two countershafts and some fairly whizzy technology. Unfortunately by comparison with a conventional design it can feel notchy in the lower gears. Take your time changing and it should feel better. However, there are a couple of owners that have recently cited boxes bad enough to be changed under warranty.

I don't expect any changes to the design that will revolutionise the quality of the gearchange. You will probably get used to it. I do know exactly what you mean though :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Ive also been very frustrated at this notchy gear change. See my earlier posts. Great car though!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links