Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boot Light

Soeley

Yeah, sorry for not including where to get them. I actually bought mine from DFS* in Shrewsbury and they were about £4 each at the time, I bought three. Nice to know Amazon sells them too. Using the orginal sticky backed velcro (used so you can take out the batteries for replacement/charging) that come with the lights will be far better than the stick on velcro strips I used. But hey, it's already a 'make-do' solution. They do give good light in the boot area and where I placed that one you can see if the light is still on when you close the tailgate. As long as you remember to look, otherwise, recharging the batteries will become an annoying past time.

Oops! Not DFS, Dunhelm Mill. Doh! My memory isn't so good any more. Bet you was all wonderin' why they would sell these at a fric... erm, a furniture store right? My bad.

• 2 weeks later...

As a quick update on this for anyone looking at doing this, but is unsure about how bright these little lamps are here's a video clip.

Clicky. It's 12MB in size and although it's a .MTS extenstion it opens in MS Media Player.

David, where did you get the resistors and what core type is required for the cable? Or should I just come for a visit with a nice bottle of red? ;)

Fish

As a quick update on this for anyone looking at doing this, but is unsure about how bright these little lamps are here's a video clip.

Clicky. It's 12MB in size and although it's a .MTS extenstion it opens in MS Media Player.

David, where did you get the resistors and what core type is required for the cable? Or should I just come for a visit with a nice bottle of red? ;)

Fish

Hi Dan I downloaded the video and played. I can't see the actual light fitting because it is too dark and obviously when on the light saturates it. What information do you have on them? Do you have a part number I can look up. Do they run on 12v? Where are you intending to fit them. The modification I do to the original light requirers the removal of the original smt LED and printed circuit board and a new board fabricated and a 3watt LED soldered into place.The original circuit board had 3 x 180 ohm 1/4 watt resistors in series to dissipate the power of the sit LED. These have to be replaced with 3 x 47ohm 3 watt ceramic resistors and the circuit board modified so they are in parallel and not as the original was in series. They are available from Maplin code W47R @ £0.55 each The 3watt replacement LED requires 3.6volts at 700ma So the resistors have to dissipate 700ma @ 10 = 7watts. The three resistors in parallel have a rating of 9 watts and a resistance of 15.66 ohms. Simples If you want to extend switched feed of 12v to other lighting then there are 2 points i need to point out to you to connect to.This is how the mod works. If you give me all the info on what you have bought then I can advise and tell you what is and what is not possible

David

Just ask Tarquin who just installed,! upgraded the interior light and added rear lights that shine into the boot area. Although I would hardly class it as a true boot. It's so tiny.

• 3 months later...

I thought i would update this thread as seen as i started it (seems ages since).

Well the 4 LED Round lights I mentioned earlier in the thread have now been fitted, along with a Tarquin Light (modified interior Dome light).

Just for comparison here is the STD Dome light and then the Modified Dome light.

WP_000050.jpg

WP_000051.jpg

With the Modified Dome light, Tarquin fitted me two DC sockets, one for each pair additional lights. The loom I made up with the DC plug on the end simply pushed up between the top of the windscreen and headlining, over at the door appature pulling the door seal away reveals a nice gap between the body work and interior trim. The loom just slotted into place.

Down in the LH foot well with the panel removed a lot of electrical connectors are revealed.

WP_000052.jpg

I had to make sure my new lights had enough space behind the trim panel (the RH side has a lot less electrical connectors).

Panel removed and drilled 11/4"

WP_000053.jpg

Light that will slot into place.

WP_000054.jpg

One down three more to go.

WP_000055.jpg

WP_000059.jpg

Over to the RH side, you can see the trim panel removed with light attached and the loom carrying on down along the sill to the rear of the car.

WP_000057.jpg

At the back, all I needed to do was pull away the door seal and use a mouse to thread the loom over the wheel arch and out through the access panel.

WP_000060.jpg

More drilling, plenty of room behind here (to be on the safe side, I placed a piece of wood behind the panel to prevent damage from the drill).

WP_000061.jpg

WP_000066.jpg

Exellent Mark I see they are directional ones as well great install!!!!

David

just noticed you have some kneel on mating, looks like what marlin sell 6 bits for £20 interlocking nearly crippled myself kneeling on that ridged concrete will get some

david

Very nice installation. What a difference from the single overhead light.

Exellent Mark I see they are directional ones as well great install!!!! David

Yes, you can turn them to get the best angle for illumination.

just noticed you have some kneel on mating, looks like what marlin sell 6 bits for £20 interlocking nearly crippled myself kneeling on that ridged concrete will get some david

They sell it in Costco from time to time, I have my shed floor covered with it. It also acts as an insulation.

Very nice installation. What a difference from the single overhead light.

Yes, the modified Dome light is a must, now I have seen the difference first hand. I'd recommend it to everyone.

I also forgot to thank David for his help and advice, so "Thank You" David :thumbsup:

Well Mark you've gone and done it now! Nice job. Like the pics you posted too. The difference in lighting must be great. Very professional work, with the wire loom and all that. Did you use a drill bit like those used for drilling holes for rear/front parking sensors? What a result though, bet you're chuffed to little mintballs (MINTBALLS? WTF Must be a northern saying I picked up somewhere).

Are those the lights we saw on that American web site? Or did you source them from E-Bay? Nice and shiny. Wouldn't look out of place in a Roller, or a Bently. So, all these lights come on when you open the door/s, tailgate? I can hear a song coming on... 'Blinded by the light...'

:band:

Liking the brightness of the lights, but sorry to say I'm not feeling the lights themsselves, ok except Davids. ;)

Fish

Well Mark you've gone and done it now! Nice job. Like the pics you posted too. The difference in lighting must be great. Very professional work, with the wire loom and all that. Did you use a drill bit like those used for drilling holes for rear/front parking sensors? What a result though, bet you're chuffed to little mintballs (MINTBALLS? WTF Must be a northern saying I picked up somewhere). Are those the lights we saw on that American web site? Or did you source them from E-Bay? Nice and shiny. Wouldn't look out of place in a Roller, or a Bently. So, all these lights come on when you open the door/s, tailgate? I can hear a song coming on... 'Blinded by the light...' :band:

Bob, thanks for the compliments. The difference is fantastic. Yes a hole saw is what I used like you described. Mintballs? lol. Yes they are the light all the way from the Big Rig Chrome Shop in the US of A. I thing the style of light compliments the chrome Dome light. All the 4 extra are wired to the central Dome light so they do what ever that does.

Liking the brightness of the lights, but sorry to say I'm not feeling the lights themsselves, ok except Davids. ;) Fish

It's OK Fish, you don't have to feel them just see the light coming from them lol, and to be honest you can't really see them from the seating position.

Very nice indeed, More interior lighting is high on my priority list. :)

Craig.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links