Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Throttle Body Cleaning Fluids ?

IanXT4

I have decided to clean my throttle body and I remember comments stating that many throttle bodies these days are coated with a non stick Teflon/PTFE and that some carb cleaners can strip this off. Apparently Ford have even now gone to the effort of putting warning stickers on their throttle bodies regarding carb cleaner?

Searching my local suppliers shows up a number of carb/throttle cleaners, however, non that I have found sourced in the UK state on the web that they are Teflon safe. Looking at the safety sheets some of these sprays are composed of some pretty aggressive stuff (eg acetone or Xylene), however, I am not sure exactly what compounds would strip the Teflon.

Can anyone recommend a brand that is easily available and states on the tin it is Teflon safe ?

Many Thanks

Ian

I tend to remove the MAF sensor and just clean that. I have both carb' and brake cleaning fluids that seem to disolve gunge quite easily. You could look inside to see if it is Teflon coated (I don't think so) but you could also start using high grade petrol that would keep it clean after.

Thanks for the info, I must admit I have no idea if Toyota throttle bodies are Teflon coated but it seemed like a good idea to get a tin just in case. However, teflon safe throttle body cleaner its obviously located next to the rocking horse s**t .

With regards to comments about the petrol, I thought the throttle body deposits were due to crank case gas recirculation which was more oil related. ?

Possibly Ian but if the petrol is said to clean deposits, it should help anyway.

Tyre buffing solution is Awesome !! It moves anything.. Pop into You local tyre dealer and ask them to either donate or sell You some... Job done guaranteed

Could you use petrol? On a rag, very very carefully :D

Just stay away from any charged batteries if you do this

How on earth would using high grade petrol in the fuel tank help clean a throtlle body when the fuel is injected via an injector system??

You could try using isopropanol - as test try a few dabs on the throttle body wall first using a cotton bud.

How on earth would using high grade petrol in the fuel tank help clean a throtlle body when the fuel is injected via an injector system??

By magical witchcraft :lol: that's why people pay the extra don't you know :yes:

Looks like you got it sussed Yoda. Fuel companies have a good marketing strategy.

Reminds of a mate of mine who opened a small shop which obviously wasn't being very sucessful. I comments to him on this. His repley was:- If there's at least one mug out there who believes the buls*** posted up on the shop window I'm in with a chance. :lol:

I guarantee that tyre buffing solution will outperform anything like petrol and isopropyl alcohol !! Half the price as well ...

Where can one fill up with buffing solution Charles?.......now that does sound like it will clean my engine :lol:

Good point James. Just off to fall on the sword.

Just in case anyone else is interested I had a look at the various safety data sheets for a couple of Carb/Throttle body cleaners I could source locally. After comparing the active ingredients I bought a can of Normfest VC 980 Throttle Plate cleaner from Euro Car Parts. I have used Normfest products before and they have been excellent.

I cleaned the throttle body today and it definitely has no coatings to worry about. Mine was very dirty but the carbon deposits instantly dissolved with the VC980 I did not even need a brush. All back together and working perfectly.

• 1 year later...

Hi IanXT4,

Did you remove the complete Throttle Body and ICV to clean as per the pinned instructions or clean both in situ?

Which could make the job a little easier and save having to replace gaskets etc?

Just that the VC 980 instructions say the following.....

"Application:
Spray generously on the surfaces to be cleaned and leave for 2-3 minutes. Start the engine and a jet of liquid from the spray nozzle to remove loose dirt.
important:
Only for spark-ignition gasoline engines!
Warning:
Highly flammable. Harmful by inhalation and skin contact. Irritating to eyes and skin.
Do not breathe spray. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. In case of contact with eyes, rinse with plenty of water and seek medical advice. Use only in well-ventilated areas.
Pressurized container. Do not expose to sunlight or temperatures above 50 ° C. Do not pierce or puncture and dispose of in fire. Do not spray on a naked flame or any incandescent material. Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking. Keep out of the reach of children.
"

HI

Before I cleaned the throttle body I was suffering from an erratic idle and the car would not creep on tickover in 1st. I decided to remove the throttle body so I could confirm that any cleaning was a 100% and to polish the surfaces.

(Note my 2004 does not have a ICV and the idle is controlled by very fine movements of the butterfly valve)

Removing was very simple, I bought a new gasket (rubber with a metal grid molded in) which was a few £.

The carb body is fed with engine coolant via two pipes, I clipped these off with brake pipe clips.

Attached are a couple of pictures of the gasket and the carbon build up

You probably could clean in situ but any carbon residue and dirt is going straight down into the engine, probably not a good idea.

post-16780-0-91445200-1381510099_thumb.j

post-16780-0-41406800-1381510100_thumb.j

post-16780-0-90519100-1381510100_thumb.j

post-16780-0-79372000-1381510910_thumb.j

Thanks Ian,

Great info and pictures too. Very helpful. :)

I have ordered both throttle body and ICV gaskets now as I would rather see that the whole lot is spotless rather than a spray and hope half hearted effort!

I didn't like the thought of it going into the engine either.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links