Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bulb Upgrade

Myles Taylor

Hi folks is there a headlamp bulb upgrade for the IQ as I find high beam a little lacking ,and I am reluctant to put extra lighting on the front . The bulbs available the HIR2 or 9012 only come in as 55w which is a bit lame i think .

Dip beam is fine but could use a little more illumination on highh beam as I work nights and most of my driving is in the dark.

Thanks in advance Myles

I use these:

philips-x-treme-vision-h4_138_138.jpg

Philips X-treme Vision H4 is a performance product. They provide the maximum amount of light on the road whilst still remaining road legal. We would recommend choosing X-Treme Vision if you are looking for:

• Maximum road legal performance
  • A high performance lamp that also offers good durability

Auto Express Review - BEST BUY, November 2011

"Precise positioning of the filament explains the performance of the plus 100 per cent X-tremeVision. Every bulb is inspected, which is why it’s so pricey. But it pays off, with a bright hot spot nearly 75 metres away."

Product history:

X-treme Vision has now replaced the multi award winning Xtreme Power. The original X-treme power gained itself an excellent reputation by winning the ‘Best Buy’ award in Auto Express between 2007 and 2010. This was given due to it’s performance and endurance. The new Xtreme Vision now gives 100% light on the road, 20% more than its predecessor which gave 80%.

Are they legal to use and do I need to modify my vehicle?

The bulbs are fully road legal and no adaptations or modifications need to be to your vehicle. The bulbs are directly interchangeable with your existing bulbs and are just a straight exchange.

How does the product generate more light when the wattage is standard and are they safe to use on plastic lenses?

X-Treme Vision use a halogen/xenon gas mix and a refined design of the filament. The xenon gas is a very efficient and produces a brighter, whiter light than when halogen gas alone is used. This means that the bulbs have a greater output of light on the road. The bulbs are all standard wattage, this means that they are completely safe to use with plastic lenses and they are fully road legal.

Awards:

• 'Best Buy' - Auto Express, November 2011
  • ‘Recommended’ - Auto Express, October 2010

http://www.powerbulb...headlight-bulbs

But I don't think the HIR2 bulb can be replaced by a H4 bulb. Neither optical centre of the filament nor the socket is the same.

Philips has a model called 9012, which has the same optical, electrical and mechanical interface as the original HIR2 bulb. I think the lumen output also is higher. I actually has bought a piar via eBay which I will install these in time before the long, dark swedish winter....

Best regards

Jon

I use these:

philips-x-treme-vision-h4_138_138.jpg

Philips X-treme Vision H4 is a performance product. They provide the maximum amount of light on the road whilst still remaining road legal. We would recommend choosing X-Treme Vision if you are looking for:

• Maximum road legal performance
  • A high performance lamp that also offers good durability

Auto Express Review - BEST BUY, November 2011

"Precise positioning of the filament explains the performance of the plus 100 per cent X-tremeVision. Every bulb is inspected, which is why it’s so pricey. But it pays off, with a bright hot spot nearly 75 metres away."

Product history:

X-treme Vision has now replaced the multi award winning Xtreme Power. The original X-treme power gained itself an excellent reputation by winning the ‘Best Buy’ award in Auto Express between 2007 and 2010. This was given due to it’s performance and endurance. The new Xtreme Vision now gives 100% light on the road, 20% more than its predecessor which gave 80%.

Are they legal to use and do I need to modify my vehicle?

The bulbs are fully road legal and no adaptations or modifications need to be to your vehicle. The bulbs are directly interchangeable with your existing bulbs and are just a straight exchange.

How does the product generate more light when the wattage is standard and are they safe to use on plastic lenses?

X-Treme Vision use a halogen/xenon gas mix and a refined design of the filament. The xenon gas is a very efficient and produces a brighter, whiter light than when halogen gas alone is used. This means that the bulbs have a greater output of light on the road. The bulbs are all standard wattage, this means that they are completely safe to use with plastic lenses and they are fully road legal.

Awards:

• 'Best Buy' - Auto Express, November 2011
  • ‘Recommended’ - Auto Express, October 2010

http://www.powerbulb...headlight-bulbs

If you can get this type of bulb for your iQ, they are well worth the money. Philips Xtreme vision bulbs are a quality product, I,ve used them in my Urban cruiser for the last 2 years and would not be without them.

Regards Clare

The original fit iQ bulbs are indeed a bit unique and no H4 bulb will fit The iQ bulbs are only a single filament bulb too, the low and high beam is changed my moving a reflector or something inside the light fitting.

I think there are some HID bulbs that can be made to fit but technically they can't be fitted due to the lack of light washers or wipers on the iQ.

I assume you have tried the headlight height adjuster inside the car? I raise mine up a bit at night to illuminate a bit more road.

Craig.

Dual filament H4 type bulbs will not fit the iQ, So many web pages have that information wrong.

The iQ has a single filament 55W bulb with only 2 connections on the back and they fit in the holder with a bayonet type connection. Here is some pictures of the bulb from my 2010 iQ3

Craig.

post-116364-0-90810000-1341004698_thumb.

post-116364-0-46842600-1341004713_thumb.

post-116364-0-06758200-1341004725_thumb.

The original fit iQ bulbs are indeed a bit unique and no H4 bulb will fit The iQ bulbs are only a single filament bulb too, the low and high beam is changed my moving a reflector or something inside the light fitting. I think there are some HID bulbs that can be made to fit but technically they can't be fitted due to the lack of light washers or wipers on the iQ. I assume you have tried the headlight height adjuster inside the car? I raise mine up a bit at night to illuminate a bit more road. Craig.

Yes mate have raised the adjuster to the point where its just below the horizon so as not to bother other drivers. The lights are ok and I can manage with them but I just wondered if there was a quick upgrade ;)

Like I mentioned before. the odd glass enclosure is specific to the IQ probably because of the motorised flap for main and dipped beam. By the way, I have changed mine to HID far better

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links