Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise When Rev Needle Is Between 1500Rpm And 2000Rpm

sub77

I had an issue when rev needle was between 1500RPM and 2000RPM there was a noise like a blown exhaust. this happened in gear and when not in gear, just pressing accelerator would cause the noise. Thanks to L666DER from this forum for the tip I was able to get it sorted. If anyone has a similar issue here is a guide on how to fix it.

Step 1

Unclip the air box and uncscrew the lip for the rubber hose

78381738.jpg

Step 2

Remove the air filter and the bottom three bolts in the bottom half of the air box

81653472.jpg

Step 3

Remove the air box out you will see the pipe that is causing the vibration, follow the pipe toward the headlight and undo the bolt there. The pipe can then be take out. Replace the sponge circled . I used a foam sticky tape around the pipe.

p32y.jpg

Step 4

I added some extra foam to stop the pipe foam. Hope that helps

fixxi.jpg

• Like 1

i guess its that time of year again, as soon as the weather starts to cool down a little this minor problem rears it's head

• 4 months later...

Hi Sub77,

I have the exact same issue with my 2.2 d4d, thanks for the instructions, however i cannot see pictures you have attached

many thanls

• 10 months later...

Can't thank you gents enough I hope this works as the noise sounds expensive but the car goes like a stabbed rat.

Regards

Dave

• 4 months later...

Worked a treat for me, amazing how quiet your car is after this simple fix.

I struggled for weeks working out what this is until I forgot to check the site for this.

Note when re fixing the air box make sure you push the two parts together so the node' sticking out comes through to ensure a good fix to the air box. - it does take some pressure to fix

Worked a treat for me, amazing how quiet your car is after this simple fix.

I struggled for weeks working out what this is until I forgot to check the site for this.

Note when re fixing the air box make sure you push the two parts together so the node' sticking out comes through to ensure a good fix to the air box. - it does take some pressure to fix

You can see this is step 3 photo on the 2nd highlighted circle sticking upwards :)

Thanks for this. My 2.2 Corolla Verso is making the same noise! Before a take things in bits, what have people been using to replace the damage sponge? Is this something that can be bought from Toyota or will sticky foam suffice?

Many Thanks!

I used a 3M draft / vibration tape from aldi that was about £3'

Others can be found on eBay Amazon etc with various sizes eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gray-Draught-Excluder-seal-strip-Foam-tape-for-door-window-Weather-Draft-Guard-/330852275874

Don't waste money with Toyota any will do, and Toyotas original tape is about 2cm square !

Thank you for that Packard, I'll have a go when it stops raining long enough for me to do it! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update: Finally got round to doing this job yesterday (took about 40 minutes). I'm now a rattle free zone! :D Thanks to sub77 and Packard for your helpful posts! :cheers:

• 1 year later...

The images are completely gone, all that's left is a advert for ImageShack - and the direct links just go to Imageshack videos and ads. Please can someone re-post the photos, and/or a written description of where the air box is?

thanks,

rob.

hi there,

i have had a rattling noise similar to this but only when driving, and it happens when between 1700 and 2000 revs. this always happens in gear 3,4 and 5.

to be honest i had this for over 2 years and i always disregarded it but since i see here a similar issue, i was wondering if this ring a bell to anyone.

or shall i just blast some music and forget it.

regards

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Sorry yes this will I'm sure be the issue, it only take pounder ten minutes to carry out the fix and even clean a it of the engine bay at the same time.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

Can anyone upload new pictures pls as the other links don't work. This noise is driving me nuts lol

I've a sold my verso but if you take the top cover of the air filter box - remove the filter (lifts out) you will see where the black Circle pipe (air flow) joins in it clips in badly this is the bit you can put 2 self tappers through

if you take a photo of the box I can show where

it crazed me also ! 

On 09/01/2017 at 6:59 PM, Packard said:

I've a sold my verso but if you take the top cover of the air filter box - remove the filter (lifts out) you will see where the black Circle pipe (air flow) joins in it clips in badly this is the bit you can put 2 self tappers through

if you take a photo of the box I can show where

it crazed me also ! 

Ok brilliant, will do 👍🏻

All sorted now thanks Packard :-)

Edited by tommowr