Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water In My Boot - Anyone Else Had This Please?

Sunny7

I had the same problem...in my case it was an easy fix...removed the rear lamp from the side where the water was coming in and I just applied some silicone sealer and fitted it back in. Problem solved.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just an update on mine. I seem to have stopped the leaks... after pulling back the trim it did look like mine was comign in through the air vent on the passenger side (on the wheel arch, abit of silicone around that seems to have doen the trick.. i also put silicone around the rear light cluster aswell just to make sure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have just purchased a 2012 Auris after a few days I noticed water in the boot under the tray.Lucky for me the car was still in the 30 day change it period . When I took it back to Toyota they thought it was the rear light seals and changed these so far it seems to have worked . The weather has been bad for a couple of days with the car on the drive so no water so far.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem.

• Like 1

Sorry folks for not replying here much sooner.. as my membership had expired to the club .. I assumed (incorrectly) that the ability to post had also.. my car has been 'fine' re the water problem for some time ....until this last week and the other day after it had been in for new brake pads and discs and had a wash there by Toyota, that it has condensation again in the left rear lamp casing. Thank you for your suggestions re sealant etc and I will get my son to try the things you suggest and hopefully rectify the problem! It is the car that just keeps on giving ....;-) (problems that is)

also for another member to say it isn't a safety issue therefore it shouldn't be recalled is folly, it is clearly a design, manufacturer or component fault which is affecting thousands of cars so therefore should be down to the manufacturer 'Toyota' to resolve it, if said member bought an expensive tv which had a serious common fault would the said member happily pay to fix it himself or would he contact the manufacturer to fix it.

It quite clearly isn't a safety issue that would involve an official recall. The car's ability to drive safely isn't affected, and the Government body (DVSA) which works with manufacturers to investigate and arrange recalls won't be interested unless the car's safety IS affected. That isn't to say there may not be a design or component fault - there may be.

As regards repairs, once a car is outside warranty, as with a TV, it isn't realistic to expect a manufacturer to provide repairs free of charge - they, of course, may do under goodwill if the car has a satisfactory service history.

Had the same issue. In my case it was the driver side tail light (the left one) - the nut that was holding it in place on the inside of the boot got lose, so if you pulled the tail light, you could literary stick your index finger there, so every time it was raining or when carwashing the car, the boot got filled with water. Once we figured where the leak was comming from and tightened the nut, I drained all the water under the spare tyre and then it never came back.

• 3 years later...

Hi guys,

I've currently got this problem. Noticed it when I had to replace the tyre with the space saver and saw the area around the spare tyre and to the left of it extremely wet. I check the right side under the lamps and it is dry, so am thinking either it is the left lamp or the vent on the left wheel arch.

Has anyone got a picture/videos tutorial of the work required especially where the vent on the wheel arch is. My car has been hit on the corner of the rear bumper on the same side recently, I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Thanks

Hi,

I just started to unclip the carpet around the boot sides. Once you get them off (ok i broke some clips but have stayed on) i got some silicone and put a small bead around the vents (dont cover the vent holes) and smoothed it with my finger. Think i did this on both sides.

I also noticed water leaking from the boot lid break light cluster. (probably explained why the car didnt have a parcel shelf when i bought it. The water was coming through a rubber plug that sits just under the spoiler. Opened the boot, popped the plastic cover off the lights (from the inside) bit of silcone on the rubber plug.

Took a total of about 15 minutes and a little bit of silcone no problems since. Still running the car.

• 6 months later...

Hi folks, I also have this dreaded water leak in the boot. Am I right in thinking I can just pop the lights off, clean the surfaces then put some silicone between light cluster and body? Also I will seal around the passenger side vent. 

You can try, but it's not always the light cluster. Best would be to roll back the carpets a bit, remove the plastic around the lock for the boot (bottom side) and have someone pour water on the car, while you watch it from the inside. Then you can easily see where it's coming in.

I "fixed" mine 2 times until i did this to identify the leak,. in my cause it was going through the bodywork joints, which were not sealed by silicone at the factory.

Hi All, I am also a Toyota swimming pool owner but I believe Toyota call it an Auris TR 1.6. 2008. The spare wheel well in the boot was submerged and the carpet was soddened. While the car was parked on a level surface, I removed the rubber bungs to drain the pool and dryed out the carpet and surrounding areas. I was able to place some paper towel around the offside boot area as there was condensation inside the rear light cluster. After a couple of days of rain, the water was flowing freely. Removed the light cluster and checked the vent seal by using a watering can to pour water in the area below the light and there was some drops of water on the top of the plastic vent seal. I am off to buy some silicone tomorrow so thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

My brother's 2009 Auris was also letting in rain water, even the back seats were getting wet.

After seeing this thread and similar, I determined the leak was coming from the nearside rear corner, and could see it was wet more around the vent than the light cluster. I see some people talking about sealing from the inside, but wasn't sure how that could be done effectively as you can't get to the seals from the inside. So I removed the rear bumper - surprisingly not that hard (just awkward), just two bolts and 8 of those plastic fastener things.

I could see on both sides the foam seal around both vents had disintegrated, and was missing in parts. So I removed the vent assemblies (which can only be done after removing the bumper - they only push out from the car), cleaned up the surfaces, and replaced the foam with silicone sealant. I put some silicone around the nearside light cluster seal too just in case.

I also stuck a dehumidifier in the car for about 12 hours or so, and it collected about a litre of water. Of course now it's stopped raining, so I don't know if my work has been successful.

NB: The bolt thing holding in the spare wheel was totally seized from rust, so be sure to sort that out before you're stuck on the side of the road with a flat tyre and no WD40!

IMG_20200119_163010.jpg

• Like 1