Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Stall

Tedlooney

In the scenario where you traded in to a toyota dealer, then in order for the dealer to re-sell as approved used, they would have to inspect the car and rectify the fault....so therefore this shouldn't affect another customer purchasing the car in the future.

Yes but do they? they also stamp your service book as a new service been carried out but as others on here would testify, along with myself. How can a newly serviced car with a stamp in the book dated the day before have thin black oil and a fairly clogged air filter. They must of judged it by its age, gave it a look over checked its functionality and valeted it.Also with Tedlooney's car, it became symptomatic 3 days after purchase, which i can testify it is also an intermittent problem with it.

David

Rather than pay a solicitor, why not contact your Trading Standards Office, under the Sale of Goods act the the car should be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose, obviously it isn't so Trading Standards would be my first choice.

I'm not sure the dealer did anything apart from stick a MOT on it and give it a wash. I've been advised to get the vehicle inspected by an independent motor vehicle expert to try to determine if the fault was likely to have been there at the time of purchase.

Yes, trading standards is an option. I'll definately be contacting them about aggressive sales practices regarding the warranty.

The sad thing is that Toyota Worldwide and Toyota UK knew that this was an upcoming problem with many vehicles before the 3 years Manufacturers Warranty expired & just buried their head in the sand.

I would Contact Toyota UK in writing and give them the opperunity as a Goodwill gesture to do the repair.

In writing & by Email

Then contact and raise a Case with your Trading Standards over the dealer that sold the car.

I really can not blame the Dealer as this is something that Toyota know and us on forums but not widely known in the Motor Trade.

Trading Standards might get a response out of Toyota UK if you try that route.

Forward all Emails to Motoring Magazines and Editors.

Toyota need to come clean & repair cars going out of warranty.

Their attempts at Green Cars is backfiring.

Expensive or costly to repair future second hand cars for many sadly.

george

You're right George, a poor show by Toyota I think. I was considering trading my own car in for something smaller and Toyota was favourite but I'm not so sure now.

Reading this post please correct me if i'm wrong, the car was not purchased at a Toyota dealer? If this is the case then as trading standards will confirm the posters contract is with the place they purchased the car from and not with Toyota or one of their dealers. The "sale of goods act" exists between the poster and selling dealer only and not as in this case it appears with Toyota or a Toyota dealer.

You can of course ask Toyota if they would offer some good will and they may offer a contribution, how much this will be is based on certain circumstances.

* How far out of warranty the vehicle is

* Mileage covered

* The actual fault (confirmed by a Toyota dealer)

* Are you the original owner

* Do you use a Toyota dealer for servicing and repairs

* If a second owner did you buy it from a Toyota dealer.

In this case the contribution if any will most likely be quite small as they are not:

* The original owner

* They have not used a dealer for servicing

* They chose not to but from a Toyota dealer

Devon

All correct.

It will be interesting to see how Toyota act as there are more and more cases like this

They have had to be dragged by the hair to accept there were problems with owners cars that were purchased and serviced by the original owners as per Toyota Servicing.

Faulty parts and design so Toyota might well have to act.

It is not fair to expect to be babied for life when buying something,

But Toyota designed and sold a vehicle with many problems of which most were fixed under recall.

It seemed to take 2 1/2 years for this problem to develop where it was going to and they just let owners go along on a wish and a prayer.

Buyers of second hand 2009-2010 iQ's need to be aware that they might as well budget for having to pay for the remedial work to be done.

Just another nail in the coffin of Toyota as a very poor Customer Service Company.

Euro 4 engines with this problem, then you get Euro 5 and when the fault no longer exists they are giving 5 year Warranties.

That is just really not acceptable to use your Customers as your real life road testers.

(not only Toyota do this, VAG/VW seem to be just as bad for it.)

'The car in front is a Toyota',

so if an older iQ you can expect it to stutter and die as it tries to exit junctions.

george

• Like 1

Ted

Has the dealer you purchased it from witnessed the fault first hand? I can tell you that on my car, some days it would pull onto a round-a-bout normally and others, without warning, it would be like i just walked out into the road with on coming traffic Very dangerous!!

David

• 6 months later...

Hi David, the dealer is well aware of the issue. Unfortunately I have had to take legal action against the dealer.

Ted

Has the dealer you purchased it from witnessed the fault first hand? I can tell you that on my car, some days it would pull onto a round-a-bout normally and others, without warning, it would be like i just walked out into the road with on coming traffic Very dangerous!!

David

Isn't it a disgrace that Toyota puts your life and that of others in danger? Shouldn't our beloved car come with a huge warning sticker on the wheel?

All I can say is that if we win our case and can return the car we will be buying a Kia.

Toyota may or may not monitor topics and posts on TOC - don't know.

If they don't, making posts on TOC suggesting recall or similar action may be wasted effort.

If owners are concerned about problems with their vehicle which may be safety related, there is a mechanism for reporting vehicle safety defects via VOSA - see https://www.gov.uk/report-vehicle-safety-defect (which also includes some guidance on vehicle safety defects). This may be a more effective method of making Toyota aware of your concerns.

• Like 1

Let me tell you, that Toyota IS reading this topic and if they don't at least potential new buyers are. If I sell my car I will tell people to be careful because it might stall. But then again I would feel very guilty if something happened to somebody who bought my car unlike....

I have said enough about EGR valve and Toyota over the last few days.

It will only die down as a IQ forum issue when Toyota make it a Re Call item

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links