Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Adjustment In 4.2

Lyons

I bought a 4.2 petrol XT3 for a workhorse a few weeks ago but cannot get used to the biting point, mostly in 1st and 2nd.

Is this a common trait to the Rav4 and something I need to put up with? I drive many different cars in work and can adapt to the various biting points without difficulty, which leads me to think this is not normal. That said I've very little experience with Toyota before.

Is there any adjustment in the clutch?

Top left corner diagram on second sheet of the PDF [copied from pinned section at top of forum page] shows correct settings so you can at least check Ian.

I have no idea how the pedal is adjusted though. Doubtless someone will be along later who can advise.

2003 4.2 petrol clutch adjustment.PDF

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that. I'd be keen to see how its done and have a tinker.

It would be great if it was something so simple!

The Rav does have a very low first gear and its often mentioned how rough the change is between first and second.

I have never liked starting off in the RAV since new, its always a hurry to get into second. Its possibly the worst 1st and 2nd gear change I have ever owned.

So maybe what your experiancing may be "one end of normal".

Best thing to do is cadge a test drive in another 4.2 and see if you really have a problem.

And on the subject of "baulky" gear changes, don't forget to use a gear oil of 75W-80 in the box, rather than the originally specified 85W-90. It makes changes much easier, particularly in cold weather.

Would it be worth changing that now? Dear knows when it was last done.

DIY job?

Easy DIY job, its in the technical information section of the forum. Personally I use Castrol Universal 75W90.

Opie Oils will normaly give a great deal if you shop arround on the internet, then email them for a competitive quote.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-744-castrol-universal-75w-90-semi-synthetic-gear-oil-formerly-castrol-syntrax-universal.aspx

Good thing about this oil is that it meets the specs for the Transmission, Transfer box and rear diff. So you only need to keep one oil. (negative is its a bit more expensive)

Ian,

4WD manual transmission . . . 3.4 litres, 75W-80, either GL5 or GL4.

Avoid xxx-90, as its unnecessarily heavy, and makes gear changes more difficult.

Do the oil change first (easy and cheap) before investigating anything else.

Chris

Brilliant, thanks. I'll get the oil ordered and have a go at the weekend. Any particular make?

Can anyone else clarify if there is adjustment in clutch or not?

I can assure you the only adjustment is on the pedal. If the pedal is set up as shown in the pdf and the clutch works OK, don't worry where it bites. Make sure there are no mats under the pedal then worry none.

When I said clutch, I meant the pedal! Apologies, I didn't mean the clutch plate itself!

Anywho, I arrived home last night and the wife had got her dad to adjust it a little, so it seems better than it was. Might get it done a little more to see.

Will definitely do the gearbox oil too.

• 4 years later...

Is there any - how to's - for adjusting the free play in the clutch pedal on here. It's the small things that help like removing certain covers that make the job easier.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links