Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Buying Tips

bifski

Hi all, intending to buy a T180 (07 plate) this week, any last minute tips or advice on what to look out for....?

Regards

Hi all, intending to buy a T180 (07 plate) this week, any last minute tips

Regards

Don`t ! :dontgetit:

Oh...okaaay...........any particular reason?

Although many folks have liked their T180's, there are rather a lot who've had problems too. This car has had several recalls & also has an ongoing problem with failing headgaskets & partial engine replacements. Toyota has done a pretty good job of helping owners out, but realistically most folks wouldn't want the hassle involved. So I wouldn't recommend a T180 either - especially if you do a lot of city driving or short runs from cold.

Oh...okaaay...........any particular reason?

As Uncle Buck has mentioned there will be many owners who love them and had no problems but they can have BIG issues and to my mind just not worth taking the risk. (have a look in the Rav4 section of this forum)

It goes without saying that if you do go ahead with your purchase I wish you luck and hope its a gudden !

Although many folks have liked their T180's, there are rather a lot who've had problems too. This car has had several recalls & also has an ongoing problem with failing headgaskets & partial engine replacements. Toyota has done a pretty good job of helping owners out, but realistically most folks wouldn't want the hassle involved. So I wouldn't recommend a T180 either - especially if you do a lot of city driving or short runs from cold.

I always find these posts somehow funny. Do you know a car brand or models that goes without any "issues" at all?

With car prices in UK I´d skip the whole Toyota, to be honest, and started looking for other brands.

With my Auris 2.2 D-CAT 2007, absolutely no problems or "issues" whatsoever.

"short runs from cold"? that calls for a petrol engine. Diesel is diesel with it´s ups and downs.

Hi

I have a T180 and have owned it for four years. Worst car I have ever bought. Toyota RMB a joke. Please avoid them. I have had the new engine fitted, still not happy. You have to ask yourself why Toyota have signed a deal with BMW to use their Diesel engines?

I have had numerous Toyota's in the past and loved them all, however after my experience with a T180 and RMB I am afraid Toyota have lost a loyal customer......

I had the T180 for 2 years before ridding it as it was showing signs of problems (EML and constants DPF regens and white smoke). If you insist on the T180 then look out for these things:

1. White specks of dried coolant in and around the engine surfaces as this cold suggest a coolant leak (pre head gasket symptom)

2. Persistent and constant smoking from exhaust

3. Rough cold starting (mine was plagued by this)

I was generally happy with the car, it had decent performance and roomy but rather poor fuel economy. Mine averaged 38mpg through those 2 years, which however you look at it, is poor for a diesel even for a 180bhp.

Good luck finding a good one, I'd imagine majority of them would have some sort of a DPF or head gasket related issue by now judging by how many times I have read about these problems.

Thanks for your comments everyone, very helpful. I decided against the T180 I was going to buy as the SH was patchy and unverifiable (not main dealer).

Whilst forums are a great source of information, the fact that, as in my case, you are researching potential problems and inviting negative comment, a false impression of a car can be created because you are surrounded by talk of problems. However, on this occasion, because no one appears to be defending the T180 and there is no positive comment to offset the negatives, I have decided to abort my search for a T180.

Thank you all for your valued comments.

Just as a footnote;

I contacted my local Toyota dealer to try and get some clarification as whether Toyota had put an extended (7 year) warranty on the 2.2 diesel engine - as someone on here had suggested they had - and they denied that the engine had any problems at all.

However, the technician finished by saying that if a customer was to experience such a problem, provided the SH was solid, Toyota would usually try to help the customer out.

PS.......excuse my ignorance but what are EML and DPF regens...?

Thanks for your comments everyone, very helpful. I decided against the T180 I was going to buy as the SH was patchy and unverifiable (not main dealer).

Whilst forums are a great source of information, the fact that, as in my case, you are researching potential problems and inviting negative comment, a false impression of a car can be created because you are surrounded by talk of problems. However, on this occasion, because no one appears to be defending the T180 and there is no positive comment to offset the negatives, I have decided to abort my search for a T180.

Thank you all for your valued comments.

I am, in many ways, defending Auris 2.2 D-CAT. I´ve never heard of any engine problems. At least no more than with any other cars. There´s always bad apples in the basket. Also, I have talked with Toyota mechanics here, read magazines during these years, followed the scene so to say.... no severe problems mentioned. Auris in all it´s forms is one the most sold vehicles where I live.

My point was that there´s really no point telling someone not to buy "that particular car". People have different needs and no car is perfect for everybody. there´s no such thing as perfect car. They all have their pro´s and con´s. Making your decisions based on some forum talk...? Well that´s up to you of course. Had i the money enough i wouldnt choose Toyo but that´s me.

Comparing two totally different things, say petrol and diesel, is pretty much waste of time. pro´s and con´s again. Or Toyota or BMW, whats the point in that. They dont play in the same field anyway. Why Toyota decided to start using BMW´s engines might also be something else than the quality of the engine in the first place. That doesnt make Toyota diesels bad per se.

If the idea of Auris 2.2 is interesting and you want a bit more of a "something" do skip Toyota on go for BMW 120d.

I can tell you more about the good sides of Auris 2.2 in private msgs. I have lots of winter experiences too, driving in cold climate, etc, etc.

Usually i dont reply in those MPG-topics because I find it silly to buy a powerful car and then start to complaining "whats wrong with my MPG"... when we all know there are 1.6 and 2.0 diesels available, too. It´s not the car´s problem if someone can´t afford to drive it. In Auris you get exactly what you pay for. It is a great vehicle.

Just as a footnote;

I contacted my local Toyota dealer to try and get some clarification as whether Toyota had put an extended (7 year) warranty on the 2.2 diesel engine - as someone on here had suggested they had - and they denied that the engine had any problems at all.

However, the technician finished by saying that if a customer was to experience such a problem, provided the SH was solid, Toyota would usually try to help the customer out.

PS.......excuse my ignorance but what are EML and DPF regens...?

EML = engine management light

DPF = diesel particulate filter

The regen refers to the cleaning cycles that the DPF goes through as it builds up the ash deposite where it literally heat the content inside to burn it off, problem comes when the filter is no longer able to clean itself.

Buying tips..

Don't buy this car if:

- You're expecting good fuel economy. The majority on here, including myself average mid 30's mpg. On a run I average about 41mpg. There are exceptions to this however which have been posted on here.

- You're expecting hot hatch handling - because it's not and it isn't suppose to be.

I'm not in anyway saying this is a bad car, just it's a bit.. bland. It does the job, without fuss.

I like how:

- It's spacious

- It's well engineered compared to my previous french car

- It's a sleeper, it can surprise many... many cars out on the road

- It's sort of well built

My opinion:

- Driving position is so high up, makes it easy to get in and out of the car I guess!

- Steering is too light

- Handling is rather soft, even though the ride at times can appear to be rather hard?

- Rattles... interior rattles everywhere!

- Comparing this Auris to my previous 2004 Megane, it's not very refined on the motorway

- I have faith that it won't break down even though I've had a fair share of niggles and faults

- Servicing is cheap at Toyota compared to other marques - remember there's no timing belt to change as it's chain driven!

- Toyota UK and my dealer have looked after me well, which to me would make me recommend the Toyota brand

- This French designed, British built car doesn't have that solid feel of older japanese cars like the Corolla

- Comparing the interior to say, a VW, my mindset is that the money has gone into the engineering and not to make it look all fancy and plush inside.

I did my research before I bought this car, so for me I'm happy with my car therefore I would give it the thumbs up.

• Like 1

I think what some people are missing here is the fact that if a potential owner asks for the opinions of current owners, then why not give an honest appraisal. I like my car and it has many merits, but I wouldn't recommend it for owners doing lots of stop/start runs. It wasn't designed with that in mind & experience has shown that many owners have had problems with the DPF or EGR as a result. That is useful fact & not fiction or hearsay. The head gasket/EGR/DPF issues are extremely well known & commented on this very forum. Toyota have gone some way to acknowledge these problems by extending the warranty with certain conditions.

I also understand why some folks complain about their MPG - if I was getting 32 MPG where my previous petrol car was getting more than that, I'd be a bit peeved as well ! While VAG group 170 TDI's are compareable to our cars (SR180), most of the owners I know are getting high 40's MPG. That has to mean the Toyota 2.2 is not as good as it for economy. I will however, be the first to admit that the Toyota unit feels a lot smoother & is also quieter. The Audi engine can suffer from oil pump issues too, so you take your choice & live with it or sell on .......

I think you have to balance up many factors when buying a car not just the car but also the total package incl servicing, reliability purpose / usage.

For me it was something which provided space, pace and reasonable servicing / reliability. I have had company cars in the past so like some peace of mind so Service Plan & Warranty are big on my list. I have also generally only had good service from Toyota dealers less so with other Marques!

The Auris SR180 ticks most of my boxes I have now owned this car for over 4 years and clocked up nearly 54k miles it currently has nearly 66k on the clock.

No car is without its faults from any of the manufacturers despite what they may tell you at the dealership.

The Auris suits me and is perfectly at home on multi hour motorway journeys less so in terms of MPG in town and has been said earlier will never really handle like the sharpest of the hot hatches - horses for courses. My MPG for this type of driving is mid to high 40s so with the performance not really too bad.

I intend to keep mine a while longer until finances improve and at the moment I am at a loss what I would replace it with, perhaps another diesel VW or ( X Class) BMW cause I like 4wd cars. But a lot wil also be determined by whether shorter commuting is a regular part of my mileage in which case a petrol model may offer the best solution.

I will probably look first at Toyota and see at the time what is available although need to see some sportier Auris or BMW engined variants to make my mind up on new incarnation.

Pete

I'm a relatively new owner of a T180 so I can't vouch for the reliability in the same way as the other contributors, however these were the main reasons I made the purchase:

- spacious and practical (5door)

- got a good spec model with sat nav, bluetooth, sunroof, keyless entry etc

- good on tax and insurance

- better mpg than my previous car

- cheaper servicing costs than VW/Audi/BMW

- cheaper outright cost than equivalent VW/Audi/BMW with similar spec

- decent BHP and especially torque

- wanted a Japanese motor

Of course, the Auris is the antithesis of flashy, and has none of the brand/image factor of Audi A3, VW Golf or BMW 1-series equivalent diesels. But I like owning something a bit different, and I think many people are quite surprised by the performance. I've always had good treatment by Toyota and so I wanted to continue with a Japanese motor.

I did read some of the comments on this forum before purchasing, particularly regarding MPG. When I bought mine I was achieving approx 30-33mpg around town and 33mpg on motorway runs, so pretty crap really. However, having recently fitted a Lindop tuning box from PartsKing, the MPG has increased to 43-45mpg around town and 48-49 on motorway runs (plus a little additional power), so i'm very pleased with this. I think to be getting this kind of MPG from a car with approx 195bhp and >450Nm torque (obviously with box fitted) is great. I've only driven petrols previously, so couldn't imagine getting this sort of MPG from a car with this much power.

Time will tell whether any of the major problems listed by others will arise, but so far so good (touch wood). Given the Auris with the tuning box was cheaper than an equivalent basic-spec 120d , I'm not regretting the purchase.

Oh and if anyone is interested, the insurance increase on a box being fitted was <£50.

• Like 2

I'm assuming the T180 is the same 2.2 as my SR180? In that case I'll share my pro's and con's as well:

PROs:

>Easy to drive (Great rear visibility for parking)

>The high mounted gear stick is surprisingly comfortable

>Spec is good (I've got iPod, Keyless entry, A/C that works!!)

>Performance (I've had some faster cars in my time but this is pretty good)

>Looks (Understated and very much a sleeper. If you wanna cruise along you don't get harassed by 17 year olds in Corsas wanting to "have a go", but at the same time car people know you're driving "The fast one")

>Dealer support (My dealer's service has been commendable)

CONS:

>MPG is awful! I had a 240bhp Fabia vRS running a hybrid turbo that did 43mpg all day long. It did 50mpg + before the hybrid turbo running a 179bhp remap. My 150bhp Astra CDTi got 47mpg. Infact my average of 39.9 is only 3 mpg better than the Peugeot 306 GTi I ran a few years ago and that was a 169bhp 2.0 petrol that was 10 years old when I had it!)

>Interior build quality (This is the worst car I've owned for rattles. When I bought it I had 4 CONSTANT, and I mean CONSTANT rattles. And the passenger's seat squeaked. It's been back to the dealer twice and they've quietened it but not solved it.)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links