Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Tailgate / Spare Wheel Capability - Chapter1

jolly-friar

Introduction

As requested by a few members on this forum.

This is our account on how we replaced the tailgate on my RAV4 to the version which has the spare wheel mounting option.

Please understand that we are not mechanically trained, or qualified. So, any comments are welcome, especially if we have made any mistakes, missed anything important, or just require further info.

Chapter One – Initial purchases

Tools required/used : None

Cost this chapter : £520

Cost to date : £520

From what we could establish, there are only three different types of tailgate. One with the option to mount the spare wheel, and two without.

It is not possible to convert an existing tailgate, they are very different in design, externally, and internally, below the window.

gallery_56959_1576_4636.jpg

Tailgate : £300 – Second hand from internet auction website.

Luckily, the same seller also had two other parts required, from the same vehicle.

gallery_56959_1576_4174.jpg

Wheel cover back : £40

gallery_56959_1576_1514.jpg

Wheel cover front : £120

Delivery: £60

The parts were removed from a 2009 RAV. An important thing to remember when looking for a suitable tailgate, is that the main frontal area below the window, is made up from four separate plastic ‘garnish’ panels. These can be easily be damaged, especially after the tailgate has been removed from the vehicle.

• Like 2

Nice one !! I looked seriously at doing this a while back but the cost escalated as I looked further into doing it ! I reckoned with the cost of used parts the wheel the painting ect ect it was going north of a grand.... Well done !

• Like 1

Nice one !! I looked seriously at doing this a while back but the cost escalated as I looked further into doing it ! I reckoned with the cost of used parts the wheel the painting ect ect it was going north of a grand.... Well done !

Thank you... I really like it.. so happy we did it.

Not added up full total yet, but probably near to £1500... it could have been cheaper if I had not wanted the skirt..

Yes, I remember reading some old posts from you...

Infact, it was one of your posts which helped me decide to do it.. :) so thank you... :thumbsup: :D :cheers:

• Like 1

Nothing short of stupendosity, Liz (and Mr.Liz......). Totally believe you are not mechanically trained, but you must be very single minded folks to plan then execute.......good wan.

Big Kev

• Like 1

Nice job, and of course you can sell your old door to recoup some costs back?

Nice job, and of course you can sell your old door to recoup some costs back?

Thank you..

Yes, I have a list of parts which will appear on a certain auction site soon.. :)

1) tailgate ( ready for reverse camera )

2) spoiler ( inc brakelight )

3) rear window

4) toyota reverse camera

And I'm sure there is more...

I need some money ready for my next project..

Edited by jolly-friar

When whe follow up chapters are posted I will knit them all together and pin them. Thanks Liz and OH.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links