Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pre Purchase Queries - Spare Wheel And Seats

andyfr

Space saver spare for the Auris here (Toyota dealer's ebay site)- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-AURIS-GENUINE-17-STEEL-SPACE-SAVER-SPARE-WHEEL-/350822626782

Probably from the first generation but should be OK.

Is there any genuine reason why they say this wheel is not suitable for the hybrid? I thought the new Auris hybrid has the same chassis as the "normal" engined cars? I know my boot space and foam inserts look the same as the earlier picture.

Don't know. Perhaps Devon Aygo or Parts King will comment (though Parts King won't reply before Monday).

A couple of other things I'm wondering about. I haven't seen any mention of an alarm in the spec, does it have one? Also does it come with two keys both with remote?

You can have the space saver on a Hybrid HOWEVER

The Hybrid trunk floor structure is different to the conventional model due to the hybrid Battery location. If the space saver is fitted, customer will no longer be able to use the trunk floor mat/lower floor

Kingo :thumbsup:

The brochure doesn't seem to state what security the car has.

Think as with the first generation Auris, the 2013 Auris comes with an effective immobiliser and deadlocks. Pretty sure it will also come with two remote keys - both my 2009 and 2012 Auris did.

• Like 1

The ordinary Auris Excel has the sunglasses holder in the roof with the front interior lights.

However, the Hybrid has the ultrasonic volumetric alarm sensors & disable switch in the same place.

So... Looks like the Hybrids have Alarm & Immobilisers as standard. (At least in the UK - YMMV)

Whereas the ordinary cars just have the Immobiliser.

G...

Think most car theft now is done having got hold of the keys (taking without owners consent) due to the effectiveness of current security systems.

I find it strange that there isn't an alarm as standard. My wife's current Skoda Fabia has one.

I take your point Mike. It's just that it's a long time since we bought a car without an alarm. Before that we used to get one fitted.

Alarms are not very common these days. Cars are rarely broken into to steal, they break into your house and steal the keys these days, and with radio units built in, there is no market for stolen radios as there was once was

Kingo :thumbsup:

Our last three new cars (two Auris and an Hyundai i20) haven't had alarms - just the factory fit immobilisers and deadlocking. Before I retired the 2009 Auris was regularly parked in and around Birmingham city centre during the day, where car crime is a bit more prevalent than Inverness-shire, and I had no issues. My partner's i20, because of her job, is regularly parked in some poorer areas of Birmingham, and again (touch wood), we've had no problems re car security.

Good points made by all. I suppose we have come a long way since it was possible to "hot wire" a car. We used to live in Sheffield so got used to locking and alarming all the time. :D

I cannot remember the last time I had to do an estimate for theft damage, it just does not seem to happen these days :thumbsup:

I really don't see why cars even have alarms these days. When was the last time you heard a car alarm and thought "Oh my gosh a car is being stolen" ... nope you just think its gone off accidentally and wished some one would switch it off

The only time my car has been broken into was when a bunch of them in one area had windows smashed and odd things taken... they didnt bother with the £2 change i had in the well, but they took my lionel richie CD :mad2:

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a space saver for my Auris Icon. Looked in boot and they had just shoved a full size wheel in boot.

Pointed out that this was no good to me as I would like to have some boot space. They took car away and returned saying space saver now in place. It was but it doesn't really fit snugly and can't lower bottom lid fully. No place to store tools either. Had to wrap them up to stop from rattling now just hoping there is no noise from boot lid as its not in place properly.

Salesman said that Toyota had not planned for space for wheel in boot.

Copied from post 29 of this topic:

The Hybrid trunk floor structure is different to the conventional model due to the hybrid Battery location. If the space saver is fitted, customer will no longer be able to use the trunk floor mat/lower floor

• 11 months later...

I am taking delivery next week of a 6 month old Auris Tourer Sports Hybrid Excel. When I asked about a space saver spare wheel, the salesman (new to Toyota) said that Toyota dont do them.

When I got home, I found that they do supply them for £125.

I called the salesman and he is ordering one for me (pricing to be discussed!).

My question is, do these cars come with a jack by default (didn't look for one when viewing the car), come with the space saver kit or do I have to purchase one?

Thanks in advance.

I have been told that the price for the space saver includes the jack (in the process of purchasing a new Auris)

If I'm not mistaken there isn't space for a spare wheel in the Hybrid model. Possibly to do with the Hybrid Battery.

I have a couple of questions that 3 dealers along with Toyota Tech services either dont know the answer or are giving conflicting information.

The questions are concerning the parking assist on the Auris Excel.

1) I know that parallel parking between two cars at the kerbside works but is there a secondary facility to help reverse park between two cars in parking bays eg. side by side in a car park? (I have seen a YouTube vid that shows both available on the Prius)

2) Is there a way of using the parallel kerb side parking on the right hand side, eg. when driving in Continental Europe.

3) If I purchase the "Protection" pack, does that have sill scuff plates for the two front doors or all four doors.

I am so surprised at the appalling lack of product knowledge shown by some Toyota sales staff. I am about to spend 20 odd thousand on a new car and I cannot get several questions answered.

Thanks for any advice.

If I'm not mistaken there isn't space for a spare wheel in the Hybrid model. Possibly to do with the Hybrid battery.

The Hybrid Battery is now under the rear seat of the Auris and I was told that the space saver and jack will fit, but see my post above....it is anyones guess.

I am taking delivery next week of a 6 month old Auris Tourer Sports Hybrid Excel. When I asked about a space saver spare wheel, the salesman (new to Toyota) said that Toyota dont do them. When I got home, I found that they do supply them for £125. I called the salesman and he is ordering one for me (pricing to be discussed!). My question is, do these cars come with a jack by default (didn't look for one when viewing the car), come with the space saver kit or do I have to purchase one? Thanks in advance.

The new models do NOT come with tools, however, if yours is 6 months old, it might do. The cost of jack, Tools and Bag is £30

• Like 1

I have been told that the price for the space saver includes the jack (in the process of purchasing a new Auris)

Thanks. I cannot find the jack as an option in either the Auris brochure or the Toyota price list (July 2014), so hope you are right.

2) Is there a way of using the parallel kerb side parking on the right hand side, eg. when driving in continental Europe.

3) If I purchase the "Protection" pack, does that have sill scuff plates for the two front doors or all four doors.

;

2) I downloaded a manual for the car and yesterday I found a section that said something like "If you want to park on the right hand side, turn on your right side indicator to change over".

I have tried to find the section again and failed (528 pages!!!).

3) I have the Protection Pack on my car. It is only the 2 front doors that have the scuff plates.

The new models do NOT come with tools, however, if yours is 6 months old, it might do. The cost of Jack, Tools and Bag is £30

Thanks for that.