Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Sr (T22) - A Few Jobs

Radiodanno

Hi

Got a few jobs to do on my car. Hopefully you guys can give me a bit of steer? (Motoring pun intended)

1) Two dash lights are now out. One behind the ODO and one behind the clock. What bulbs are these, and is it a complete pain to change them? I see the screws I need to undo, but is it an absolute ball ache with bits falling out everywhere the second you do the screws?!

2) Car has become a bit hesitant on occasions. If you come off the accelerator and let the car freewheel (in gear) then it can feel a bit lumpy. No misfire, no EML on - just a bit lumpy. Could this be spark plugs? The clutch is worn on the car but does not slip at all. Just wondering what your thoughts are?

3) Have found a puddle in the boot under the carpet where the jack is stowed. Got the water out through the conveniently placed hole, but not sure how it got in there!!

4) Best way to drain and replace coolant (which looks like dishwater!) without the dreaded airlocks.

5) Coldest setting for Air Con is actually at Full heat (28!). Then the next coldest is 16 then 17 etc. Is this just the heater control unit which is knackared? I think it might be because the there's a dodgy fan speed selector on it too.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm determined to keep this lovely specimen alive for as long as is possible, so want to keep on top of the jobs as they come (despite being an absolute novice!)

Hi Daniel,

I will answer your questions using the numbers to your questions. Haynes manual may cover some of your issues, so will be useful to have. You say your car is T22 which ceased production in 2002. Can you confirm the year of reg please?

If T22 model then the following may help.

1) The dash bulbs are not too difficult to change. Lower the steering column. There are two screws in the upper part of the surround, remove these then tilt and pull the upper part first to release the lower clips. The trick I use is to twist the surround top part towards you then bring the lower part of the surround up lift over the instruments to remove. It took me a few minutes to work that one out. Then you will find 3 screws holding the instrument panel, 1 top centre, 2 lower at the ends. Remove the screws and tilt the instrument towards you face down. The bulbs are in bayonet holders. Try not to touch the bulb directly. Use a clean tissue or wear clean rubber gloves.

2) Try the HT leads if the car is pre vvti, but generally look at the plugs. Look at all the vacuum pipes too. Need more info on engine.

3) There is a vent in that area. The wheel could be spraying through. I cannot say much as I have never had that problem.

4) The radiator has a plastic drain tap at the bottom drivers side of radiator. On the rear left-hand side cylinder block(pre-vvti), is the other drain tap. Vvti 2 litre has it in the oil cooler hose but I cannot give anymore info on that.

Fill the radiator first the expansion bottle. Run engine to bleed and squeeze hoses.

5) I cannot answer this one. I seems that the control system is not working properly.

Once you have given more details about your car, someone on the forum may be able to advise. I will say again get the Haynes manual which covers the mk1 (T22) petrol Avensis from 1998 - 2003.

Kon

Thanks for your help so far. Brilliant stuff.

It's a T22 (Mk1) with the 2.0 3SFE engine.

Happy to help Daniel.

I gave you more of info based on your car so the answer should benefit you. The 3SFE engine is a very nice engine.

When changing the HT leads make sure they are good quality, and try and get the Denso spark plugs.

Apart from the engine and the fact you have the boot to my hatchback, most of the car are virtually the same.

Your air-con and heating is puzzling.

Kon

I'm pretty confident that the air-con item is the Heater Control Unit. £12 on eBay so I can't really go wrong!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links