Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid Excel Space For Spare Wheel?

Bazbell

I'm just going from the old Auris Hybrid T Spirit to a new Excel Hybrid. I believe the new car has a tyre repair kit instead of a spare wheel. Would the spare from my old Auris fit the new Auris and is there a well in the boot of the new Auris to store a spare?

Already been covered in the Auris forum. Have a read through this topic (which includes references to the Hybrid - look at posts 19 and 29 in particular): http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/150798-pre-purchase-queries-spare-wheel-and-seats/page-2

Thanks Frostyballs, that was a quick reply. I guess I'll be taking the spare and any securing bolt out of my current Auris so I'm prepared

If you are part exchanging the car, please advise the seller what you are proposing to do ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

On the old car, replace the spare tyre with the gunge - dealer can not complain unless they have been lying to their customers about the gunge being just as good as a spare tyre. :nopity:

I've put a 500ml tin of Holts Tyreweld in its place, it's probably just as good as the Toyota stuff I'll be getting with my new car and easier to use

Whilst I thought it would be an interesting test, I wonder if you can actually get away with it.

Are you sure that when the dealer assessed your car for trade-in and made you an offer that they hadn't checked in the boot for the condition of the spare wheel?

Have you answered any questions about your old car that state that it includes all original equipment and is not modified in any way or something similar?

Will you be using another dealer if you have problems with your new car?

Oh no, you've made me feel guilty now ... I think I'll leave the wheel in the old car

Whilst I thought it would be an interesting test, I wonder if you can actually get away with it.

Are you sure that when the dealer assessed your car for trade-in and made you an offer that they hadn't checked in the boot for the condition of the spare wheel?

Have you answered any questions about your old car that state that it includes all original equipment and is not modified in any way or something similar?

Will you be using another dealer if you have problems with your new car?

Thats why I say have a word with your dealer, he may be happy for you to swap the wheel out

On the other hand he has priced your car "as is" and you would be in breach of contract to start removing things from it.

In the past I have seen people remove all sorts from cars, taking accessories off, swopping the standard radio for some cheap knacker, putting worn out tyres on the car. I have seen quite a few deals undone over the years for this type of abuse

I spoke to the Toyota dealer today and after he checked with the workshop he said an offset on the old Auris spare wheel was different plus the boot in the new Auris would need extra parts to fit a spare wheel in. There is a Spare Wheel including all the parts needed available for £100 so I guess that's the way to go.

I spoke to the Toyota dealer today and after he checked with the workshop he said an offset on the old Auris spare wheel was different plus the boot in the new Auris would need extra parts to fit a spare wheel in. There is a Spare Wheel including all the parts needed available for £100 so I guess that's the way to go.

They are in short supply at the moment and might not be available for a while. It is the spacesave tyre that is the issue, not the wheel

Doh, thanks for the heads up Kingo, are we talking weeks or months here?

As it stands at the moment, weeks, HOWEVER there has been a huge demand for spare wheels, and I can see a time when the tyres are not available. The tyre manufacturers make spacesaver times once a year, in one run. this may change, who knows, I would order one now and wait for it to come in

On the Auris Hybrid, it needs to be pointed out it does not sit flush in the boot and you will lose some boot space

Thanks Kingo, as a matter of interest how much can you get them for or would that information not be permitted by forum rules?

Am I correct in assuming a space saver will not allow the boot floor to fit flush if the boot floor is in the lower position but the floor will be flush if it's in the upper position?

Thanks for the help John, I've placed my order and yes they said it would 'probably' be mid September

• 3 months later...

Space Saver Spare Auris Hybrid Excel ordered today from my dealer, delivery 2 to 3 days cost, including parts, just under £100

... On the Auris Hybrid, it needs to be pointed out it does not sit flush in the boot and you will lose some boot space

I had a similar problem trying to upgrade to a full size spare wheel on my Gen 3 Prius - there's more than enough room under the boot floor, but the design of the under floor tray is specific for the space saver, so my options were:

1. have the upper boot floor sticking up about 1½ inches

2. loose the under floor tray and have things a bit loose and risk the upper floor sagging if heavily loaded

3. find a firm that could make a new tray or modify the exiting one (presumably disproportionately expensive!)

4. stay with the space saver for now

I chose the latter

I know the arguments for and against giving choices etc, but I still find it hard to comprehend a firm that can come up with such an advanced drive system, can get their heads round simple matters like this - for the sake of just 1½ inches surely it would have been a no brainer to build in flexibility

... On the Auris Hybrid, it needs to be pointed out it does not sit flush in the boot and you will lose some boot space

I had a similar problem trying to upgrade to a full size spare wheel on my Gen 3 Prius - there's more than enough room under the boot floor, but the design of the under floor tray is specific for the space saver, so my options were:

1. have the upper boot floor sticking up about 1½ inches

2. loose the under floor tray and have things a bit loose and risk the upper floor sagging if heavily loaded

3. find a firm that could make a new tray or modify the exiting one (presumably disproportionately expensive!)

4. stay with the space saver for now

I chose the latter

I know the arguments for and against giving choices etc, but I still find it hard to comprehend a firm that can come up with such an advanced drive system, can get their heads round simple matters like this - for the sake of just 1½ inches surely it would have been a no brainer to build in flexibility.

Toyota do make a different floor unit for cars with a full sized spare ( upto 195/65r15 not 17" wheels ) you need part number 64993-47030

Toyota do make a different floor unit for cars with a full sized spare ( upto 195/65r15 not 17" wheels ) you need part number 64993-47030

Thanks Lee - I've emailed my dealer for a price.

Looks like I might be eating some of my words!

I bought a space saver when I purchased my Auris Excel hybrid. I however did not get a fixing bracket to go with the space saver. I have the jack and the towing hook etc, but I believe you can get a kit to fix the space saver so it doesn`t move around in the boot. I have been overseas since I bought the car (only had it for a week before I left UK). However making a quick return for Christmas and New Year and want to know if there is a part number for such an item as don`t have much time so if such an item as the fixing kit exists be good to do to dealer with the part number.

Here's the full list of parts with prices that were supplied by my dealer:-

T64778-02040 Protector, Spar 4 in no £2.44 + VAT each

T09120-02130 Bag, Tool £3.06 + VAT

T51931-02020 Carrier, S/Wheel £1.53 + VAT

T64716-02130-C0 Cover, Deck Tri £9.16 + VAT

T42600-05810 Wheel Assy £66.90 + VAT

• Like 1

I ordered space saver spare for new Auris Hybrid Sports Tourer, from my dealer on 10th Dec, they included the other parts in the order, took the car in 12th and they fitted the
lot in 10 minutes. No loss in boot space, jack and tool kit sit
securely on or around the space saver - total cost £97. Small price to
pay for peace of mind. At least in the case of a puncture I can
quickly get going again, albeit at only 50 mph but I will not need to
use the ridiculous sealant and compressor and not held hostage to cowboy
tyre dealers in the event of damaged tyre. The polystyrene cutout,
from the boot wheel well, is now in my attic complete with compressor
and sealant for when I change my car.