Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Steering Not Centering

dub 24

Hi Folks

Just joined the forum as I have just bought a Yaris from my mother and on driving it home for the first time found the steering did not return to the centre after turning. I asked the mother did she notice anything wrong and she said no " thats the way it has always been ".

Anyway I gave it to a mechanic mate who plugged in the computer and found two faults which he cleared but the problem is still there. He then brought it to a Toyota garage and when they plugged it in they found no faults.

I have checked previous posts relating to this problem but found no solution in any of them can anybody shed some light on what could be the problem ?.

Looking forward to your replies

Thanks

Dub 24

Hmm, somebody else reported a similar problem a few months or so back; Alas I can't remember what the fix was! I think something was dragging and preventing the auto centering because it looked like you were still holding the wheel to the power steering.

If my search-fu is working I'll post the link... :)

Thanks folks for the replies.

I will take all the possible faults to my mate and will let you know how I got on.

Thanks

Dub 24

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks

Well I got my steering problem sorted out. The first thing I did was to get the odd thread tire on the front changed so that the tyres had the same profile, I then got the four wheels laser tracked and the report showed that the toe in was out. The result of all this was that the steering was marginally better but not right. My mechanic mate then sourced a second hand steering motor and ECU, he fitted the steering motor at first and recalibrated the steering etc and this also improved the steering vastly but it still wasn't right. He then fitted the ECU and on reclibrating etc solved the problem entirely.

Hope this info is of some help

Thanks

Dub 24

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links