Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Light Disfunction

bobbinman

Hi, has anyone else had this problem? we have a September 2012 IQ2 and all has been great up until a few weeks ago. We tend to leave the lights on auto (unless we need to turn them on for fog etc) When we have finished our journey, turn the ignition off, lock the car either with key fob or touching door handle the lights would always go off. Perfect. Not now, following the above procedure the lights just stay on and on and on!!!! Local Toyota dealer said this was a feature "Guide me home"and the lights would go off. They don't.

Booked in next week for them to look at the problem. but has anyone else had a similar problem as they have said it's never been reported as a problem world wide!!!!!

Thanks

Sorry about the typo in the subject line, don't seem to be able to edit it. sorry.

• Like 1

I can tell you that what activates the function to turn the lights off is the door switch. As soon as the door is opened they normally go off and at times when its quiet you can hear a relay drop out. Could be the door switch or relay etc. PS dont be too surprised if they have trouble finding it. They are generally not good auto electricians

David

Hi David

Thanks for the quick reply. I will make a point of telling the service department to look at the door switch/relay that may explain why the interior light does not always come on when opening the door (yes, it is switched to the correct position)

Thanks again chris

It sounds like you have just identified the problem ;)

They don't have guide me home lights as you know by them previously switching off.

Often wondered why the lights wait for the door before turning off. Sometimes if I'm waiting for someone I have to open the door just to turn the light off then close it again.

I should point out I don't make a habit of waiting on street corners, it's normally a well lit train station! ;)

David's suggestion of the door switch sounds very logical to me.

Craig.

I believe there is an option in the car software for the lights to stay on for a period after you stop and get out or the "guide me home" lights as you say.

I'm sure it's there, just not normally switched on in the UK cars.

Craig.

Here we are, under the customize parameters. These should be available with the computer system at the dealer. providing they have all the correct software for the iQ.

Default is off.

Craig.

post-116364-0-25080000-1381438267_thumb.

Thanks guys, you have all been very helpful It seems there is a lot more knowledge on here than in the service department!!!! one of their comments to my wife was she had to wait for 15 minutes after turning the ignition off for the automatic lights to turn off. Oh come on, please do not be so silly!

Here we are, under the customize parameters. These should be available with the computer system at the dealer. providing they have all the correct software for the iQ.

Default is off.

Craig.

Hmm, must have missed that when I read the manual, and yes I did read it :)

Don't think it's in the manual but it's in the workshop manual CD that I very luckily got to see. :)

Shame I don't have the software as I could have fun playing with the parameters. :)

Craig.

On my DRL's i installed, they stay on after the engine has been stopped for a further 3 seconds. Which can be useful. 2 other ideas about the problem, what if your passenger opened their door instead of you? I haven't tried it to see if it has to be the drivers side door that activates the lights off mode. I would have thought it is either side because of left and right hand drivers without a software change. Worth a try or just lean over and open the door that would eliminate the door switch on the drivers side being the problem

David

Another idea,if you suspect the door switch, open the door and using only your finger nail, hold the black plunger in. Then let the plunger slip away from your nail quickly so it shoots out very fast and the switch slaps together hard. Do this a few times as it clears any tarnishing that may have occurred

David

Tried that this morning when I got to work. The lights only seemed to turn off on opening the drivers door so guess they are on different circuits?

Craig.

Drat drat and double drat. Or is it sensing via the seatbelt pressure switch what seat is occupied when the door is opened? Will check when i go out shortly

David

Hi David

I tried your suggestion with the door switch trick but with no luck also exiting the car from the passenger seat and door. When the lights are set on auto and you turn the car ignition off, exit the car and lock it the lights just stay on. Lets hope Toyota can sort it but I don't have high hopes.

Sorry i tried that today myself. Same result. The only mechanical item controling the interior light and the lights off function is the door switch. It suplies an input to one of the ECU's which examines other inputs before deciding what action to take. Good luck with it mate

David

Also when the driver door is opened you can hear the power driven steering lock come on. Check that you can hear it. Again all controlled by the door switch. You can remove the door switch for examination using a Torx driver

David

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

David, thank you so much we took the IQ in this morning to the local Toyota dealer for them to sort the lights out. Telling them of this forum thread and that the problem was more than likley the door switch as you suggested. They have fixed it!.

Many many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

Well thats good news. I was adding to the thread, trying to give you all the parameters that should occur when the ignition is turned off and the door opened. One of course is to listen for the steering lock applying. You could of ( if it happens again) remove the switch your self and use fine sandpaper ( flour paper) to take off the fine layer of tarnishing on the switch contacts. You just need a star driver . I mention all this for the benefit of others later who may suffer the same problem

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links