Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D Rattling When Under Acceleration

Seanyboy45

Bought a new 2013 Verso with D4D engine last year and am still suffering from strange engine noises. Reported to main dealer at first service but (of course!) couldn't replicate it and told me it was my driving!

Symptoms are: when engine is warm and under acceleration there is a horrible rattle from around the top right hand side of the engine bay. The rattle is like 'pinking' in an old engine. Only evident in the higher gears between about 1600 to 2000 rpm (ie under higher engine loading). Definitely going back to the dealer again, but does anyone have any ideas? Could it be fuel injectors?

• Like 2

Could conceivably be injectors I suppose but I'd be pretty miffed if a vehicle barely a year old had bad injectors. What sort of mileage has it done?

I'd try to rule out mundane things like fuel quality first. If you use supermarket fuel, try filling up with a branded diesel (BP, Esso, etc.) for a while and see if that helps.

If it's done a lot of short journeys, it may be getting gunged up (technical term there). Drop a can of BG244 in the tank and see if that makes any difference. Hell of a lot cheaper than having people rip injectors out to test them...

Could be teaching granny to suck eggs here but could it possibly be a mechanical rattle from something loose under the bonnet?

For what it''s worth, my 2013 D4D Verso is as sweet as a nut...well, as sweet as an oil burner can be anyway. I use normal BP diesel, not that pricey ultimate stuff though.

Could it be fuel injectors?

It will be

• Like 1

Hi there, just been looking at your post on the rattling under acceleration and though that sounds familiar.

We recently bought a 2013 Verso new 2.0 D4D and have noticed the same problem under load getting a strange noise from the engine bay when accelerating. We have found that the noise is less pronounced or disappears when you drop down a gear.

The gearing on this is a bit different to the verso 2.2 D4D we traded so sometimes find myself in the wrong gear to give it too much throttle perhaps, never noticed this problem on our older verso though.

Anyway we will have to get it into Mr Toyota at some point, although no warning lights or real performance issues leads me to believe it cannot be anything too damaging, could be injector bounce as mentioned.

I guess there must be other people out there with a similar issue to this, but the 2.0 engine in this model was a revamped version of the previous design.

Look forward to more comments within the forum !

Thanks for all your responses. Car is due in for a service within the next 4 weeks so I will report on the findings. I had a 2010 verso D4D with the same engine and gearing but never had this problem. Its interesting that Bois has had the same experience. Keep you posted.

I believe you are experiencing this:

Technical Service Bulletin

EG-0014T-0114

Subject:
1AD-FTV V-Belt abnormal noise
Models:
AURIS; AVENSIS; COROLLA; VERSO
Model codes:
ADE150; ADE157; ADE186; ADT250; ADT251; ADT270;
ADT271; ADE150; AUR20; AUR21
INTRODUCTION
This Technical Service Bulletin is to inform you of a revision to the BELT, V-RIBBED.
DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON
Some customers may experience and report squeaking/rattling noise from BELT, V-RIBBED around
1500~2000rpm, due to slipping of the belt on the pulleys.
PRODUCTION CHANGE
The design of the BELT, V-RIBBED has been changed to avoid slipping.
Go to your local dealer refer them to this bulletin and get the modified belt fitted, I have had plenty of people reporting this issue only on 2012/2013 2.0d4d models and all of them have been cured with this modified belt.
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Brilliant, just called my dealer, usual evasive attitude, could really recall my original complaint but are aware of the notice.

Just shows, the info is out there somewhere.

Devon. what was the date this was issued?

Thanks

pme

Brilliant, just called my dealer, usual evasive attitude, could really recall my original complaint but are aware of the notice.

Just shows, the info is out there somewhere.

The bulletin was issued 24/01/2014

Update having had this work finally carried out on our verso, so far so good no strange noises anymore.

Took a few phone calls and weeks to get parts in but only on the ramp for 1 hour, nothing to pay either so wife was happy.

Keep my fingers crossed now for the next time car is fully loaded for a true test up hill.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally taken the Verso in for it's 20K service and had the belt replaced under warranty. No more noises - yippee. Well done Devon Aygo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had same problem on my 2013 Verso D4D. Pointed the dealer at the Devon Aygo's info and the belt was changed under warranty, absolutely no quibble. Cheers Devon.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I drove my father inlaws 2013 D4D Avensis saloon, a few days ago, he wanted me to see how the engine noise compared to mine. It pinked away merrily under quite light acceleration, in 3rd and 4th; especially into a hill. I never had to load the engine in too high a gear, and cause it to lug to generate the pinking. In fact his car at all times felt way more lively to drive, than my 2010 Avensis TR. It breezed up fast hills with ease, but just pinked away. I wouldn't have described it as a horrible rattle, but definitely not the norm.

I think secretly or not so secretly the pinking is driving him mad. He hasn't said so directly but is very interested in a new car.

He has been told by Toyota, that the noise is normal and is the result of the latest emissions tuning.

Could the symptoms i describe be caused by the same belt issue above. I'll get him to ask them about it.

Any comments, ideas or solution are appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,

I drove my father inlaws 2013 D4D Avensis saloon, a few days ago, he wanted me to see how the engine noise compared to mine. It pinked away merrily under quite light acceleration, in 3rd and 4th; especially into a hill. I never had to load the engine in too high a gear, and cause it to lug to generate the pinking. In fact his car at all times felt way more lively to drive, than my 2010 Avensis TR. It breezed up fast hills with ease, but just pinked away. I wouldn't have described it as a horrible rattle, but definitely not the norm.

I think secretly or not so secretly the pinking is driving him mad. He hasn't said so directly but is very interested in a new car.

He has been told by Toyota, that the noise is normal and is the result of the latest emissions tuning.

Could the symptoms i describe be caused by the same belt issue above. I'll get him to ask them about it.

Any comments, ideas or solution are appreciated.

Cheers

Yes the belt noise could be the cause of this issue, quite a few of my customers described the noise as "pinking"

• 7 years later...

Hi guys just bought a Toyota verso with high miles but a full dealer service history, can anyone tell me is this belt fixed for free by Toyota or do you have to pay to have it sorted, thanks for any help 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Devon Aygo I don't suppose you know the part number for the new belt at all? Toyota want £75 just to look at mine

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links