Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Multimode System Is Rubbish

dlwebb

I have had my Auris 1.6 MM for about 5 months having previously had 2 Corollas and a Carina and I have to say that it is the worst car that I have ever driven. When driving it in manual you have absolutely no control when coming down through the gears which makes it particularly dangerous when pulling away at junctions and roundabouts. Driving it in "E" mode is even worse because it goes from 1st to 2nd to 4th and then back to 3rd. The mechanic at the dealers has explained that it will always choose the highest gear based on the number of revs but admitted that Toyota have received a number of complaints about multimode and suggested that I should use the "Es" mode instead but this seems to defeat the whole purpose of buying an economic car as it very rarely ever goes into 5th gear in this mode.

My main problem though is that when I slow down at a junction and then pull away quickly I get stuck in 1st gear and find myself doing 5000rpm without the gears changing. I have to either stop completely or flick the the gear stick into manual and change manually to enable it to move to 2nd gear. The mechanic has also experienced this in 3rd gear but his supervisor says that there is nothing wrong although admits that he thinks that multimode is a very poor system. The salesman has offered to exchange the car for a new manual model but I will lose £5,000.

I will take it back to the gararge again on Monday but does anyone else have similiar issues with multimode.

Thanks,

Dave.

I have had my Auris 1.6 MM for about 5 months having previously had 2 Corollas and a Carina and I have to say that it is the worst car that I have ever driven. When driving it in manual you have absolutely no control when coming down through the gears which makes it particularly dangerous when pulling away at junctions and roundabouts. Driving it in "E" mode is even worse because it goes from 1st to 2nd to 4th and then back to 3rd. The mechanic at the dealers has explained that it will always choose the highest gear based on the number of revs but admitted that Toyota have received a number of complaints about multimode and suggested that I should use the "Es" mode instead but this seems to defeat the whole purpose of buying an economic car as it very rarely ever goes into 5th gear in this mode.

My main problem though is that when I slow down at a junction and then pull away quickly I get stuck in 1st gear and find myself doing 5000rpm without the gears changing. I have to either stop completely or flick the the gear stick into manual and change manually to enable it to move to 2nd gear. The mechanic has also experienced this in 3rd gear but his supervisor says that there is nothing wrong although admits that he thinks that multimode is a very poor system. The salesman has offered to exchange the car for a new manual model but I will lose £5,000.

I will take it back to the gararge again on Monday but does anyone else have similiar issues with multimode.

Thanks,

Dave.

I know how you feel.I had a Corolla 1.4d4d MMT for 30 months.Believe it or not I bought it without a test drive believing it to be a full auto.Very surprised when I found out what I had to do to change gear.Believe it or not toyota abandoned full auto as a choice for customers in favour of MMT.Now Toyota do not make many mistakes when it comes to judging the market but this time they have really messed it up.Most manufactures have gone with some sort of semi automatic transmission but I do not see it as the way forward.I have now had 2 seperate sales people from my local dealer admit that they have trouble selling MMT once people know what they are getting.

I have also been told that Toyota are close to abandoning MMT.I think they have just tried to cover development costs but this must be very frustrating for you.We chose a manual Auris diesel because neither of us could face going back to MMT.

All the faults you you mention are in fact not faults but characteristics of the transmission.Taking it back to the dealer may elicit tea and sympathy but I fear very little else.They know how people are ****** off but just have to go through the motions.

No matter how hard I tried I could just not learn to love my MMT and was glad to see the back of it.I know some people on the forum will love it but someone put up a poll and see.

I wish you luck.

I must be odd, because I've found the MMT gearbox on my Yaris to be brilliant. I had to have a non-manual change gearbox, and after reading messages with similar comments I was concerned about buying a vehicle with the MMT, but a test drive and the experience with my Yaris I've been very pleased, and that includes owning other vehicles with conventional auto gearboxes.

As long as you accept it is not an auto and adapt your driving to it it's a very good system, by use of the accelerator pedal it's easy to control gear changes with a slight lift off of the accelerator, as for roundabouts if it's a busy one where I know I want a quick getaway I select Es on the approach and then back to E after the roundabout.

MMT seems to be a system which people either love or hate, with no middle ground

I must be odd, because I've found the MMT gearbox on my Yaris to be brilliant. I had to have a non-manual change gearbox, and after reading messages with similar comments I was concerned about buying a vehicle with the MMT, but a test drive and the experience with my Yaris I've been very pleased, and that includes owning other vehicles with conventional auto gearboxes.

As long as you accept it is not an auto and adapt your driving to it it's a very good system, by use of the accelerator pedal it's easy to control gear changes with a slight lift off of the accelerator, as for roundabouts if it's a busy one where I know I want a quick getaway I select Es on the approach and then back to E after the roundabout.

MMT seems to be a system which people either love or hate, with no middle ground

I do not think that you are at all odd.

I drove a Yaris T3 MMT for over 2 years without any problems whatsoever and sang its praises on these forums well before most other people had tried them.

I agree totally with your observations and hope that you continue to enjoy your MMT Yaris

• 2 months later...

I do not think that you are at all odd.

I drove a Yaris T3 MMT for over 2 years without any problems whatsoever and sang its praises on these forums well before most other people had tried them.

I agree totally with your observations and hope that you continue to enjoy your MMT Yaris

I hear you. We drove our MMT Verso for inside of two years with no problems until yesterday when while driving down the road it went into N and that was that. Couldn't get it into any other gear as it rolled to a stop in the middle of the road, with thankfully no accident. It's only a matter of time, I'm afraid. Be ready.

Thanks,

Dave.

Sorry, I've made a hash of trying to reply to this post - and left a couple of blanks!

I fully agree/empathise with your comments (see my previous posts on this forum). I got my 1.6 TSpirit MMT (with Tech, Prot & Style pack) in May & within days wanted my old car (04 1.6 Civic Full Auto) back. My Civic was my first ever automatic & I was delighted with it. I didn't like the design of the new Civic so I decided upon an Auris MMT - foolishly without a test drive! I subsequently spent the next 6 months trying to figure out how I could get another car with all of the same features (including good fuel economy & C02 emissions) for a similar price - even though I knew I'd lose at least a few grand in the process. In short, it didn't take me long to realise that I couldn't and that if I wanted an economical 'full automatic' with relatively low C02 emissions I wasn't going to find one. The choice, therefore, was quite simple: I had to try & change my thinking about Toyota's MMT - and this I have done! When I drive it now in E Mode (which offers the best fuel economy - a very important consideration these days), I accept that it is going to race through the gears & when I slow down to take a right hand corner it will probably downshift to first gear. If I want to avoid this I know that I can either switch to ES Mode or use the Manual option. However, if I choose either of these options I immediately think ("I'm using more petrol"). It's all about choice/priorities really - you can't have it both ways! If money is not a particular consideration & you're not concerned about the environment, go for a full automatic. If, however (like me), it IS & you ARE - then persevere with it! After nine months, I am now close to really loving this car!

Good luck,

Phil

Sorry, I've made a hash of trying to reply to this post - and left a couple of blanks!

I fully agree/empathise with your comments (see my previous posts on this forum). I got my 1.6 TSpirit MMT (with Tech, Prot & Style pack) in May & within days wanted my old car (04 1.6 Civic Full Auto) back. My Civic was my first ever automatic & I was delighted with it. I didn't like the design of the new Civic so I decided upon an Auris MMT - foolishly without a test drive! I subsequently spent the next 6 months trying to figure out how I could get another car with all of the same features (including good fuel economy & C02 emissions) for a similar price - even though I knew I'd lose at least a few grand in the process. In short, it didn't take me long to realise that I couldn't and that if I wanted an economical 'full automatic' with relatively low C02 emissions I wasn't going to find one. The choice, therefore, was quite simple: I had to try & change my thinking about Toyota's MMT - and this I have done! When I drive it now in E Mode (which offers the best fuel economy - a very important consideration these days), I accept that it is going to race through the gears & when I slow down to take a right hand corner it will probably downshift to first gear. If I want to avoid this I know that I can either switch to ES Mode or use the Manual option. However, if I choose either of these options I immediately think ("I'm using more petrol"). It's all about choice/priorities really - you can't have it both ways! If money is not a particular consideration & you're not concerned about the environment, go for a full automatic. If, however (like me), it IS & you ARE - then persevere with it! After nine months, I am now close to really loving this car!

Good luck,

Phil

I think the majority of complaints regarding the MMT is the long term reliability of the gearbox !! yes some people have had problems adapting to the driving style required but it has been said before its not an automatic car .

This may be the way gearbox design moves but in my opinion Europe have been the beta testers for this gearbox.

I am pleased you are happy with your car there are a lot of people who are not

G'day,

Ive just come back from Australia where i hired a corolla (nee Auris). Over there you can only get a 1.8 Dual VVT engine 100kw(?).

Seemed to go very well though, alot faster than my mother in laws uk 1.6.

The car i had was an automatic, but not an MMT, just a standard 4 speeder, which was great at slow speeds( as the limits are lower, 100 kph on freeways) but the MMT was better on the fast stuff because it has the paddles.

I wish they would just do standard autos rather than this MMT stuff. The Aussies dont give a stuff about emissions.

I know ive not got an Auris, but after a week with one i thought it was very nice.

be cool,

The Shuftie

• 3 months later...

sorry but this was the first thread that popped up in my search for problems with the MMT gearbox.

I recently just got a new Yaris T-Spirit MMT 3 weeks ago, I have previously had two other automatic Yaris and LOVED them.

I swear this new car is the worst I have ever driven! Like all new cars, I figured I might just need to get used to it. But after 3 weeks of feeling as though there was a kangaroo in the engine I called my dealer yesterday to complain. I got the distinct impression he wasnt too surprised at my tales of woe. Anyway, the car is going in tomorrow to be 'checked over'. But in all honesty I am bracing myself for a fight, the thought of driving that car for at least three years makes me want to weep.

To summarise, it is jerky, cant find the gears, sounds like I am a boy racer when taking off at a roundabout, is incredibly noisy, has dreadful roll back on even a tiny incline. Shame really because it looks so nice.

Why oh why have Toyota screwed this up so badly? It really saddens me as I have been incredibly loyal to them, encouraged others to buy them etc

• Like 1

sorry but this was the first thread that popped up in my search for problems with the MMT gearbox.

I recently just got a new Yaris T-Spirit MMT 3 weeks ago, I have previously had two other automatic Yaris and LOVED them.

I swear this new car is the worst I have ever driven! Like all new cars, I figured I might just need to get used to it. But after 3 weeks of feeling as though there was a kangaroo in the engine I called my dealer yesterday to complain. I got the distinct impression he wasnt too surprised at my tales of woe. Anyway, the car is going in tomorrow to be 'checked over'. But in all honesty I am bracing myself for a fight, the thought of driving that car for at least three years makes me want to weep.

To summarise, it is jerky, cant find the gears, sounds like I am a boy racer when taking off at a roundabout, is incredibly noisy, has dreadful roll back on even a tiny incline. Shame really because it looks so nice.

Why oh why have Toyota screwed this up so badly? It really saddens me as I have been incredibly loyal to them, encouraged others to buy them etc

I have a 1.6 TSpirit with multimode and I must say that I have grown to love it. You must realise it is not a full automatic, essentially you have to learn how to drive the car to make the most of the multi mode transmission. I have had mine now for approximately 3 months and it drives how I want it. I am almost convinced that it has gotten better with time. It drives like a manual but shifts itself. With clever application of the accelerator pedal it really is fun to drive.

If you approach driving the multi mode with the attitude that it's a full auto then you will be stuck. It is not. Also, note that you will not get the same CO2 emission levels and economy from a full auto transmission.

I love mine and my advise is to learn how to drive it. It really does get better with time, it's almost as if it has a learning feature so it customises to your style of driving. Mine is just perfect at the moment.

Hi Julie

Indeed , the Yaris is great car BUT the MMt gear in it is not the " Ideal Marriage".

To your attention - The MMT gear in Auris Working better then in the Yaris.

I don't know why but it is a fact - Maybe because the Auris is bigger/heavier Or because the the engine is stronger,Or both,

Or the Gear Transmission is differ in the two cars - which I doubt .

Anyhow I drove in Yaris - MMT also = truly, it is not the same.

I can ONLY suggest to you - DRIVE ONLY IN MANUEL MODE - and you will chance your mind

To be fair I think you will find if you look at other manufacturer forums that most MMT type systems are either love or hate scenarios.

You do have to learn a new driving style and some car systems are not inistialised correctly (the computer is told the wrong bite and change points).

When I drove a Citroen with their first stab at this type of system (the sensodrive) I found the most difficult thing to adapt to was not being able to judge the clutch bite point. This is a real pain for hill starts and parking. The other time the system is not good is when you are slowing down for a junction (brake applied) you see it is clear and want power (accelerator applied) the computers have to switch from slowing down changing down mode to speeding up changing up mode and this take a noticable amount of time (even if it is milliseconds).

There are not many car reviews who praise these systems and only half of the owners like them. I would say if you are planning to get an MMT gearbox get an extended test drive first and if the car you buy does not drive the same as the car you tested get the garage to reset the system so that it does.

• Like 1

I have a 1.6 TSpirit with multimode and I must say that I have grown to love it. You must realise it is not a full automatic, essentially you have to learn how to drive the car to make the most of the multi mode transmission. I have had mine now for approximately 3 months and it drives how I want it. I am almost convinced that it has gotten better with time. It drives like a manual but shifts itself. With clever application of the accelerator pedal it really is fun to drive.

If you approach driving the multi mode with the attitude that it's a full auto then you will be stuck. It is not. Also, note that you will not get the same CO2 emission levels and economy from a full auto transmission.

I love mine and my advise is to learn how to drive it. It really does get better with time, it's almost as if it has a learning feature so it customises to your style of driving. Mine is just perfect at the moment.

Just my humble opinion but I don't think you should have to 'grow to love' something as important as the transmission system and I do wonder whether this is people trying to convince themselves that they haven't bought a lame duck and that there isn't, at least with some, a degree of denial going on. For the majority of people, i.e. the non boy racers, the car should simply transport you easily and efortlessly from A to B. Having paid a lot of money you should not have to adapt your driving to the car for heaven's sake.

I am fortunate in having an E12 Corolla with a fully automatic box and the driving experience is fantastic. It truly is effortless, leaving you to concentrate more of your focus on driving. I don't doubt that it is slightly less fuel efficient but it isn't enough to bother me. I get an average of between 38 - 41 mpg which I think is pretty good.

And no I haven't driven an MMT and, from all I have read here and elsewhere, don't intend to. It would be too much of a financial risk. It seems a poor,under developed, technology to me probably introduced to meet the politically correct pressure to market so called greener, more fuel efficient cars. The real sadness about this is that the ordinary punter who relies on their car is being duped by the manufacturers and then left in a stressed up position with a half baked arrangement. I just hope that Toyota and other manufacturers see the light and either significantly improve MMT or dump it and go back to full auto which is a well proven and non intrusive system.

Does Toyota offer MMT in Japan? That might be telling us something if they don't :blink:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would update you all.

On earlier points - I tried to grow to love the new Yaris but it just wasnt happening, I hated driving it, it stressed me out. Sorry that isnt the experience you want from a new car. I have been driving automatic cars for 20 years, my first being an old Volvo variomatic - also jumpy at times but nowhere near as bad as the MMT disaster.

Afraid driving it in manual mode isnt an option for me as I have a disability in my left hand - hence I have always driven automatic cars.

Bottom line is - my Yaris is going back. After just a few weeks and 200 miles on the clock. Why oh why have they done this? I loved Toyota, encouraged my Mum to get one which she also loves - but when she changes her car this year she isnt even considering getting another after my experience.

Thanks for your kind words folks. I really hope this is something they address soon before they lose a serious amount of custom.

Just thought I would update you all.

On earlier points - I tried to grow to love the new Yaris but it just wasnt happening, I hated driving it, it stressed me out. Sorry that isnt the experience you want from a new car. I have been driving automatic cars for 20 years, my first being an old Volvo variomatic - also jumpy at times but nowhere near as bad as the MMT disaster.

Afraid driving it in manual mode isnt an option for me as I have a disability in my left hand - hence I have always driven automatic cars.

Bottom line is - my Yaris is going back. After just a few weeks and 200 miles on the clock. Why oh why have they done this? I loved Toyota, encouraged my Mum to get one which she also loves - but when she changes her car this year she isnt even considering getting another after my experience.

Thanks for your kind words folks. I really hope this is something they address soon before they lose a serious amount of custom.

A real shame and I hope you find a car that suits your needs. As I have already said, I freely admit I have not driven an MMT Toyota but even many of its supporters refer to their having to get used to it or adapt to it etc. I really don't think this is how it should be. The transmission system should be as unobtrusive as possible otherwise you are spending too much of your essential concentration on driving to suit the car - crazy in my view. I remain convinced that MMT is a relatively kneejerk response to the green lobby bullies that has yet to be developed to a stage where it should be released to market. That's not to say that it can't be improved - i really wouldn't know but it sounds like, on balance, it may well not be fit for market currently (and not just in Toyota guise either).

... and as I've said before, is MMT available on Toyotas in Japan? If not that may tell you something!

Thanks,

Dave.

Dear Dave,

Almost 30 years I have driven a Toyota Corolla in several types. The last 12 years I have driven a Corolla 1.6 with an automatic gear box. Especially the last one had an excellent transmission. Because of the fact we liked the design of the Auris we decided to buy one with a multi mode transmission, knowning it would differ from a automatic transmission.

Since November 2007 we are driving this vehicle. My wife does not drive this car anymore for she does not feel comfotably is this. I'm not happy at all with this car. You get shaking for the beginning to end of the trip, escpeically in rush hours. In traffic jams I have the same experience. I'm just back from my holidays in Croatia. What happened over there is the following.
I was climbing a hill of +/- 12% in the manual mode and in its 2nd gear. All of a sudden this thing had to shift down and during this I had no power for some seconds. I stood almost still and all of a sudden I had some power. At this very sime time a big truck almost drove into the back of my car.

I announced my problems already to the Dutch Importer to a sales manager. For the time of 2 months I didn't get a reaction. All of a sudden a got a letter from the customers service. This was just a politcal and commercial correct reaction in a very arrogant way. This sales guy didn´t do anything! To !Removed! arrogant I guess. Do they think we are zombies, who cannot think properly? Does the computer tell us how we have to drive a car?

At this very moment I am still thinking what I can do. I am still looking to reactions in the Netherlands but they are hard to find. I hope to get more reactions on this issue via your experience memo and I hope to receive them on e-mail. All info will be dealth with in confidence. I'm not a dealer or what ever. I'm just a very dispointed Toyata driver who wants to get his safe and happy feeling back again in driving his Toyota.

At the end Dave, I wrote some frustrations but I fully agree with you. In my opinion this device is not worthy to have the Toyota quality certificate.

Farmer *****
s

Thanks,

Dave.

I have just got myself an Auris and during a test drive i asked the sales rep what he thought of the MMT gearbox.

"Its rubbish really, but they plan to replace thier automatic transmissions with CVT gearboxes, i guess starting with the new Prius"

Hope that helps.

P.S. Mines a Manual :P

I wonder how much business they have lost over this. I would need to do a serious test drive in the newly planned CVT gearbox model before I would even consider buying another. It has sadly sort of tainted my Toyota experience. I would think a whole lot more of them if they held their hand up and admitted they had screwed up with the MMT fiasco

I would think a whole lot more of them if they held their hand up and admitted they had screwed up with the MMT fiasco

Like that is going to happen.........Not

What would you have Toyota tell the thousands of very satisfied MMT customers after releasing a statement like that, because there are plenty out there?

MMT is not everybodies cup of tea, but as I keep saying, in the Auris, it is superb

Kingo :thumbsup:

Woah there Parts King no need for that tone, were all happy campers here.

I guess the MMT gearbox system is a bit like Marmite, but if your considering the MMT you should at the very least test drive it before.

In support of MMT..................I would just add that I owned a Yaris 1.0 T3 with the MMT gearbox and found it one of the most pleasant cars I have ever owned.

So I totally agree with your sentiments Kingo.................The only reason I do not drive the MMT now is that Toyota no longer sell the Yaris 1.0 litre with the MMT box.

I have for many years supported the MMT system..........................much to the annoyance of some of the TOC posters on here.

The Multimode System is GREAT :)

I think it' just me and you Red Yaris54...:lol:

Cold-Fusion:

I don't think I was expressing much of a tone, I was responding to your statement that Toyota had made a mistake and should say so. The very many satisfied customers, like Red Yaris54 will tell you that you are in the minorty in not likeing MMT. I have always said people should try it before knocking it, many havnt even sat in one but somehow manage to slate it. The vast majority of TOC members slating MMT are the same people! You see their name popping up time and time again to knock the product, giving an impression that it is the majority of MMT owners having problems, in reality, it just isnt like that

Kingo :thumbsup: