Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blowing Bulbs

gar

Hi, I have just had a funny thing happen to me the other day.

Both my left and right headlight normal beam bulbs blew, at or around the same time!

At first, I thought it was a fuse and was a bit surprised as most, if not all cars that I know of have different fuses for each side, in order to stop them both failing together.

As it was already dark, I had to drive a few miles with high beam, lowered to the lowest setting, until I could fit new bulbs the following day. I know this may dazzle a few people but I never once got 'flashed' by oncoming traffic and I guess that this is because the Yaris lights are a bit naff to start with!!

I have now got the new bulbs and they are working fine but I just wanted to ask if anyone else has ever had this problem arise? I have never had it before on any car I have ever owned and so naturally wanted to know if it is a freak occurance or whether other Yaris owners have had it happen.

To date, this is the first time I have HAD to change a bulb in the car nd it is almost six years old, so not too bad, considering the sheer amount of vehicles old and new, I see driving with broken lights. I have a bit of a thing about this and have never driven for more then a day or so, knowing I have a failed light, even when all the others are working. I once told a neighbour that her brakelights were not working, she said, "Oh, Ok- I will get the mot man to put new ones in when I get it done in a few weeks time"!

How the ***** can you drive, knowing you have no brakelights, for a few weeks? You are just asking someone to rearend you!!

well, the simple basis is - bulbs are based on a filiment having electricity applied to it - which it turns makes it 'glow' and heat up - so it emits both light and heat.

Eventually the filiment is worn down by continued use until it becomes frail and applying electricity causes it to break.

Additional factors such as cold can accelerate the process (making a weak filiment even weaker).

So, assuming they were both fitted at the same time, they will be used an equal amount - and a cold snap meaning they both went at a similar time.

Its rare for it to happen within minutes, but it can happen - as you proved.

well, the simple basis is - bulbs are based on a filiment having electricity applied to it - which it turns makes it 'glow' and heat up - so it emits both light and heat.

Eventually the filiment is worn down by continued use until it becomes frail and applying electricity causes it to break.

Additional factors such as cold can accelerate the process (making a weak filiment even weaker).

So, assuming they were both fitted at the same time, they will be used an equal amount - and a cold snap meaning they both went at a similar time.

Its rare for it to happen within minutes, but it can happen - as you proved.

Hi, thanks for the speedy reply.

Strange though! As I said, I have never had it happen or even heard of it happening in a little under thirty years of driving/riding! I have had many bulbs go, particularly on motorcycles due to the vibration and so I am always checking them to be safe. I absolutely HATE driving/riding without them working properly!

You're damn lucky I think if you hadn't changed any lights in before. My 9 year old Yaris has broken off 4 lights in the past 3-4 months I believe. Imagine my father's surprise when the police stops him to let him know both rear red lights are not working (I only knew of, and told him, the right one).

Happily though, he didn't get fined 'cause he blamed it all on me not changing it, if it would have been me getting stopped I'd be fined without asking. :)

Oh, and the latest light breaking hasn't been fixed yet. I'm driving about with a broken front light ;) (thou in my defense I mostly have to use the headlights in Sweden this time of year since there's little daylight and during those I don't drive much)

by the way - when changing bulbs - try not to touch the glass portion - as your finger will leave grease on the glass with cause internal refraction, creating a higher temperature within the vaccum and shortening the life (sometimes quite significantly) of the bulb ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links