Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Glow Plugs?

MarkR

Hi,

I have a 2004 D4D and will be changing my glow plugs shortly. Should I go for the toyota ones, or is there a better option?

Thanks

I have a 2004 54 Avensis D-4D T4

It has 104,000 miles.

2004 Avensis is my first diesel car.

The engine management light came on, I informed Toyota about this, the guy at the dealership said it would cost me £60 just to connect to the car and have a look for the fault. I was not impressed! I told the guy, why dont you first tell me what the fault is and then I will decide if I want the work carried out, he didnt have any of it, and said just to touch the car they want £60.

In a forum on the net I read someone called their breakdown service to come and have a look at their car, and they were told what the problem is. So I went to work, and called the RAC guys. Told them that a light has come on, dont know what it is, and don't want to drive the car incase it is not safe to do so. RAC guy connected his laptop, it told him the Code was a P0380 (glow plug circuit indicator). He said the car is fine to drive if no loss of power is felt and if the car starts first time.

After a couple of days, I thought as the car has covered 104K i would just get them changed. Toyota wanted £80-£90 for the glow plugs and £120 for labour on top.

I bought the glow plugs for £37, Bosch Glow plugs with 3 years warranty. I took the car to my local mechanic, to whom also I take my other cars, he replaced them for £20, this included him connecting his laptop and the right connection adaptor, going into the management system, finding the fault, reseting it and then running another check. and it came out all clear. Took 10 mins to do all this.

Toyota wanted about £200 for parts and labour. I spent a big total of £57.

You do not need to go to Toyota for this, unless you want to waste your money.

Had this done 2 months ago. Only a 5min job to do. But to turn the engine management light of for this you need to see someone who can connect their computer to the car and reset previous faults.

Regards

M

Normally when you change the glow plugs mechanics want to see the car first, because in some cars they can be akward to get to. But on the Avensis its simple. Just take the plastic cover off and they are infront of you.

If you really want toyota ones then get them of eBay, I saw a set being sold for only £25. I bought mine from All Parts.

I decided to get the Bosch ones because its a top brand. Toyota also use Bosch brakes on the Avensis.

If you want to change them and no light has come up on the screen, then i definitely would not take the car to Toyota.

And even if you still want to buy Toyota ones and still from the main dealer, then plz dont pay them £120 labout money. Anyone will put them in for you. 5 min job. All you do is unscrew the old ones, pull them out, and drop the new ones in and tighten them. Thats it.

M

Hi,

I have a 2004 D4D and will be changing my glow plugs shortly. Should I go for the toyota ones, or is there a better option?

Thanks

hello

i have never used an original plugs on my previous car but only reliable European made OEM ones with the same tech data. It is in fact cheapper but at the same time reliable. but it is understood you'd compare with an original first.

all plugs changing is a simply job that can be done but you in case you've got a special socket tool.

cheers/igor

Thanks guys, I would only have been buying the parts, as a friend of mine is fitting them with the service. I have seen Champion ones advertised locally, anyone any feedback on these?

I have 03 D4D plate model. The car is fitted with Bosch G/Plugs part nu:0 250 202 125 way cheaper than genuine Toyota part. Double check part nu for your car just in case part nu different.

Thanks guys, I would only have been buying the parts, as a friend of mine is fitting them with the service. I have seen Champion ones advertised locally, anyone any feedback on these?

hello

we always pay for the Brand NAME -- so my experience shows that the plug "formula" is the same but the NAME is different. Use only famous and reliable brands that manufacture such OEM plugs. You'll lose nothing but safe your money.

cheers/igor

• 3 weeks later...
Normally when you change the glow plugs mechanics want to see the car first, because in some cars they can be akward to get to. But on the Avensis its simple. Just take the plastic cover off and they are infront of you.

If you really want toyota ones then get them of ebay, I saw a set being sold for only £25. I bought mine from All Parts.

I decided to get the Bosch ones because its a top brand. Toyota also use Bosch brakes on the Avensis.

If you want to change them and no light has come up on the screen, then i definitely would not take the car to Toyota.

And even if you still want to buy Toyota ones and still from the main dealer, then plz dont pay them £120 labout money. Anyone will put them in for you. 5 min job. All you do is unscrew the old ones, pull them out, and drop the new ones in and tighten them. Thats it.

M

mate can u give me the number of the shop u bought the glow plugs from

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd avoid FAI ones. Fitted four lunchtime today in a 2.0 D-4D Corolla. Three went in OK, last one wouldn't go all the way in, then snapped the tip off when I tried removing it to see what was wrong. Removed another one to compare the plugholes, top stud came off, when the plug came out it left the tip and the central core in the hole!

Got to try and get the tips out now, and turning the engine over doesn't shift them. To top it all, I think the last one worked anyway and didn't need replacing!

I'd avoid FAI ones. Fitted four lunchtime today in a 2.0 D-4D Corolla. Three went in OK, last one wouldn't go all the way in, then snapped the tip off when I tried removing it to see what was wrong. Removed another one to compare the plugholes, top stud came off, when the plug came out it left the tip and the central core in the hole!

Got to try and get the tips out now, and turning the engine over doesn't shift them. To top it all, I think the last one worked anyway and didn't need replacing!

Mr T's genuine,Bosch, NGK or Beru. Forget the mickey mouse makes (like FIA), false economy in my opinion.

Mr T's genuine,Bosch, NGK or Beru. Forget the mickey mouse makes (like FIA), false economy in my opinion.

Tell me about it! First foray into the world of diesel, and now my stepfather's got two new, broken FAI glow plugs in the plugholes just to make sure the tips don't shoot out and make holes in the bonnet! First and last time buying FAI anything!

The offending articles. These are brand new plugs, FAI part number GGP98. Yes that's right, the top pulled off one of them.

gp1-small.jpg

Close up of the glow plug ends, one is snapped off, the other just an empty sleeve.

gp2-small.jpg

Spot the glow plugs - yes, the glowing bits are still in there!

gp3-small.jpg

Broken top sections reinserted to stop the tips getting shot out.

gp4-small.jpg

Plug power rail insulated with two layers of heat-shrink sleeving to prevent touching the tops of the faulty plugs.

gp5-small.jpg

Note in the last picture that only the leftmost glow plug is a fully working FAI glow plug. The second one is (I assume) Toyota, as the FAI plug I tried there had a loose top that moved about and I didn't want it shorting out to its own casing. Third is the one that the top came off and the sleeve came out without the core. Last is the snapped one.

This'll have to do until the tips can be extracted, likely to be a head-off job because even the engine compression won't push the tips out!

Blast from the past. I can't remember what brand I used, but I think they were blueprint. And one broke. :wacko: And they are supposed to be quite good!

Well hopefully the Googlebots will pick up this topic, and anyone searching for information about glow plugs for the Toyota Avensis/Corolla/RAV4 1CD-FTV 2.0 D-4D engine will read it and not make the mistake I did!

Well hopefully the Googlebots will pick up this topic, and anyone searching for information about glow plugs for the Toyota Avensis/Corolla/RAV4 1CD-FTV 2.0 D-4D engine will read it and not make the mistake I did!

Looks to me like they were too big in diameter on the glow tips. ALWAYS check thoroughly against the ones removed before fitting new ones, check the tips with a vernier.

Or did this only happen when they failed? If so, they were probably rated for the wrong voltage. I have known 6 volt rated plugs fitted to a 12 volt supply before, the tips overheat and swell dramatically and then become lodged in the cylinder head.

You may have fun removing the tips stuck in there, could end up with a cylinder head removal to get them out (as you mentioned).

Looks to me like they were too big in diameter on the glow tips. ALWAYS check thoroughly against the ones removed before fitting new ones, check the tips with a vernier.

Or did this only happen when they failed? If so, they were probably rated for the wrong voltage. I have known 6 volt rated plugs fitted to a 12 volt supply before, the tips overheat and swell dramatically and then become lodged in the cylinder head.

You may have fun removing the tips stuck in there, could end up with a cylinder head removal to get them out (as you mentioned).

Comparing the ones that DID come back out with the old ones, they're 0.2mm thicker. Don't know about the stuck ones, though. The two that came back out have the taper in the tip machined at a slightly different position to each other, so obviously not much attention paid to quality control!

• 7 months later...
Hi,

Thanks

hi there my slef need is well don't go toyota buy £150=4x.buy at eBay the same like toyota that made by denso the same glow plug you get under £50 item no 330385866235 in eBay or best item no 260559920498 £75 hk toyota don't make them only denso make for toyota i go denso

goodlock :D

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem. Snapped off tip. Will not blow out. Have shortened the shank and reinserted the plug body in case the tip loosens. The other three plugs were renewed successfuly. It would appear that carbon build up is the problem.The tip would appear to be wedged in tight above the tapered section. I have run the car successfuly for 100 miles and intend to leave it as is, might try to see if it blows out one cold morning, protecting the bonnet etc. with a cover.

• 9 years later...

I have a similar issue. Snapped off the tip. Won't victory. Have abbreviated the shank and reinserted the plug body on the off chance that the tip relaxes. The other three attachments were reestablished successfully. No doubt carbon development is the problem. The tip would seem, by all accounts, to be wedged in close over the tightened segment. I have run the vehicle successfully for 100 miles and mean to leave it with no guarantees, may attempt to check whether it extinguishes one cold morning, ensuring the hood and so forth with a spread.

Regards

I have never utilized unique fittings on my past vehicle however just solid European made OEM ones with similar tech information. It is in certainty cheaper and yet solid. in any case, it is perceived you'd contrast and a unique first. All attachments changing is an essential work that should be possible yet you in the event that you have an uncommon attachment instrument.

Regards,

Automotive Engine

• 3 weeks later...

Looks to me like they were too large in width on the sparkle tips. Continuously check altogether against the ones eliminated before fitting new ones, check the tips with a vernier.

Regards,

4b Automotive Uk

• 7 months later...

I have a 2004 D4D and will be changing my sparkle plugs in the blink of an eye. Should I go for the Toyota ones, or is there a superior alternative.

Regards,

Medical Clinic