Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Do You Remove Headlight Housing

turnby

Hey,

I wanted to replace my front indicators with Silivervisions (bulbs that are clear when off and orange when lit) and found after taking off the !Removed! annoying wheel arch thing (Who thought of that!?) That the bulb is clear and that there must be a orange cover inside.

How do you remove the front light housing?

I've removed the two main screws which do loosen it a bit but still not enough for me to take it all out, disassemble to remove orange filter. Do I have to remove part of the bumper to release some catches or anything? If so, How?

This is my Yaris

yaris.jpg

Hey,

I wanted to replace my front indicators with Silivervisions (bulbs that are clear when off and orange when lit) and found after taking off the !Removed! annoying wheel arch thing (Who thought of that!?) That the bulb is clear and that there must be a orange cover inside.

I've removed the two main screws which do loosen it a bit but still not enough for me to take it all out, disassemble to remove orange filter. Do I have to remove part of the bumper to release some catches or anything? If so, How?

This is my Yaris

yaris.jpg

Hi Turnby, In light (sic) of the fact that no-0ne else has instructed you on how to remove a headlight, I am going to attempt to describe the proceedure from the Haynes manual.

If anyone else knows of an easier method, please let Turnby know before he/she goes ahead or gives up! LOL!

1/ Remove the front bumper. (That is a job in itself)!

2/ Remove the two headlight securing screws on top of the unit, and lift the mountings to release them from the front panel.

3/ using a screwdriver, prise up the retaining tab at the front lower of the light unit to release it.

4/ Pull the unit forwards slightly, to disconnect the outer rear securing clip.

5/ Slide the unit forwards, then disconnect the four wiring connectors from the back of the headlight- three bulbholders, one adjustment motor- and remove it.

6/ note that, in the event of damage to the headlight, the lens can be unclipped (six clips in total) and a new one fitted.In this case, check the condition of the seal fitted between the lens and the light unit.

7/ Fitting is reversal of removal.

NOW, Please bare in mind, I have copied the manual word for word, this may NOT be the easiest method of headlight removal (Bumper removal sounds drastic) Also, I think I have read that people have put headlights in the oven on a low heat, in order to soften glue to take the lens off, not just simply unclipping them but that may be certain models/years.

I hope you manage to do the task, let me know how it goes. (Thinking of doing mine, too, or smoking the orange bit)! :yahoo:

• Like 1

Hey,

This is my Yaris

yaris.jpg

Hi Turnby, In light (sic) of the fact that no-0ne else has instructed you on how to remove a headlight, I am going to attempt to describe the proceedure from the Haynes manual.

If anyone else knows of an easier method, please let Turnby know before he/she goes ahead or gives up! LOL!

1/ Remove the front bumper. (That is a job in itself)!

2/ Remove the two headlight securing screws on top of the unit, and lift the mountings to release them from the front panel.

3/ using a screwdriver, prise up the retaining tab at the front lower of the light unit to release it.

4/ Pull the unit forwards slightly, to disconnect the outer rear securing clip.

5/ Slide the unit forwards, then disconnect the four wiring connectors from the back of the headlight- three bulbholders, one adjustment motor- and remove it.

6/ note that, in the event of damage to the headlight, the lens can be unclipped (six clips in total) and a new one fitted.In this case, check the condition of the seal fitted between the lens and the light unit.

7/ Fitting is reversal of removal.

NOW, Please bare in mind, I have copied the manual word for word, this may NOT be the easiest method of headlight removal (Bumper removal sounds drastic) Also, I think I have read that people have put headlights in the oven on a low heat, in order to soften glue to take the lens off, not just simply unclipping them but that may be certain models/years.

I hope you manage to do the task, let me know how it goes. (Thinking of doing mine, too, or smoking the orange bit)! :yahoo:

Here is the Haynes description for front bumper removal. I put it here for Turnby but also, anyone else who may need it.

1/ Open the bonnet and prise out the single clip from the top edge of the bumper, in the centre.

2/ Working in the wheel arch, remove the single screw/fastener used to secure the top rear corner on EACH side (TWO fixings in all).

3/ jack up the front of the car and suppoert it on axle stands.

4/ Remove the engine undercover panels.

5/ Remove the two remaining bolts which secure the bumper lower trim piece at either end and remove the trim.

6/ Prise out and remove the plastic trim clips used to secure the front part of the wheel arch liner, and pull it away from the bumper.

7/ On models with front foglights, reach up behind the light unit and disconnect the wiring plug from each side.

8/ The bumper is now secured by a total of four clips - one at each end and one just inside the lower corner of each headlight.

9/ To release the end clips, pull the bumper ends outwards, sharply.

10/ The two centre clips are made of metal and can be prised upwards using a screwdriver. Once this has been done, the bumper can be pulled forwards and removed from the car.

11/ Refitting is reversal of removal.Have an assistant to help re-align the bumper correctly and tighten the mountings securely.

Thats it. Please remember though, that I am only giving these instuctions as a guide, I make no claim to have tried them or to see if they are the easiest method. Any damage incurred will be at your own loss. I am unsure if you even need to remove the bumper in order to take out the headlights. In typical fashion, Haynes operate on a new or nearly new vehicle

and so componant faliure/damage is remote. They often tell you to remove things that, in a nicely lit, well kitted garage, make sence, whilst out on the road, often make the job seem harder and is often not needed anyway! (I know this from personal experience).

That said, good luck.

Gar. B)

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

For those who try to attempt the removal without extracting the headlight (and therefore cannot see the bulb retaining clips), here`s  pic of them. You bend them in slightly then pull back to release the clips. In fact, if you look carefully at the bulb from the front (whilst it`s in the H/L unit) you can see a little bit of the clips, which will help to explain how they work / where they are.

Yaris headlight retaining clips 800W L10.jpg

I may have put the above in the wrong thread, this thread is the correct one (about a similar subject), so I`ll post it in that as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links