Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Multi Mode

jonmcmanus

Is there any good points going for the multi mode.

I'm sure that there's plenty of good things to say about the MM-T transmission,

but there two came to my mind firstly:

I like especially that you have the possibility to choose when

you'll change to next/previous gear (when using manual +/- mode) , but you

don't need to use the clutch at all. I also like that you can change the gear by

using the shifters placed on both sides of your steering wheel.

Best regards, Alex

Dear Jon Mcmanus,

If you buy one either Aygo, Yaris or Auris you ask for a damn lot of trouble.

I own a Auris for over 1 year and every day I ask my slef why I bought such

a system. The Auris is a beautiful and comfortable car, but the MMT take a

lot a you safety for you cannot rely on it! If you want my advise: buy either a car

with manual transmission or buy an Avensis for that is the first one in line

with a complete automatic transmission. If you want to buy a same class as the

Auris go to a competitive car.

Good luck with your descission!

Farmer *****

Jon,

There are loads of good points about the Auris, it drives well, sits the road well, corners well, is very comfortable on a long run, my Tspirit wil go like stink if I want it to, could possibly be one of the best cars in it's range, until you get to the gearbox MMT, Heath-Robinson designed it and Mr Bean built it, the problem is, it's in my car, Toyota have taken a sales winner and handicapped it totally with this unit.

All the Auris experts on here will rave on with chapter and verse about it's performance, trying to justify the fact that they have it, it is a smoke screen, Toyota have made a big mistake.

I have had the last two Avensis models, both automatic, they are leagues apart from the MMT (should change it's name to PMT), my problem is that I really do like the car

but I still live in fear of someone driving into my boot on a roundabout when Auris decides it won't change up until it feels like it

Hi there,

Bought an Auris SR with MMT in September and love it! I simply can't see why anyone would go for a manual!

The mistake I think most people make is that they treat it as an Automatic. You have to get out of this mindset - it is not an automatic, it is a manual car in which the gear shift is done for you. You either stick it in 'M' if you want to decide when to change gear, or 'E' (or even 'Es' in the SR) if you want the car to make the decision for you. I drive mine in 'M' mode pretty much all of the time, however I let the car decide when to shift down gears. In slow moving traffic, I like to stick it in 'E' and just let the car do all the work! This is the main reason I purchased this type of transmission ... a certain part of my journey home each day is always in slow moving traffic, and I simply got fed up having to work the clutch pedal - none of that now!!

In 'E' mode it can be a bit jerky when shifting up gears, however I test drove the Auris and the Civic on the same day and the Toyota was far smoother.

If you want a true Automatic, my advice is simple ... buy an Automatic! But if you wish to retain the choice as to when to shift up and down gear, yet don't want the hassle of a clutch pedal, then I have found the Auris MMT hard to beat.

I wish people would stop comparing MMT to Automatic - they're simply different. When buying a car, please consider that there are 3 different choices out there!

'uk_driver' ,

You are my man - This is the suprime way to drive the Auris-Mmt .

I'm driving it in M mode - 95% of the time. All my cars before are Manual and I hate Automatic.

Did you try the "Snow Mode" =

"Start going at 2th + change to 3th even to 4th BUT NOT over the 40 km/h so when you slow down it will not change down to the 1th" ?

It is the Smartest mode for trafic and a lot of corners and in-town Red - lights!

The only thing that drive me crasy is that the Mmt's software change from 2th to 1th in the speed too high - 18km/h with an unpleasant knock like a new driver releasing the cluch too fast in a wrong speed.

Are you familiar to this behavior ?

Hi there,

Bought an Auris SR with MMT in September and love it! I simply can't see why anyone would go for a manual!

The mistake I think most people make is that they treat it as an Automatic. You have to get out of this mindset - it is not an automatic, it is a manual car in which the gear shift is done for you. You either stick it in 'M' if you want to decide when to change gear, or 'E' (or even 'Es' in the SR) if you want the car to make the decision for you. I drive mine in 'M' mode pretty much all of the time, however I let the car decide when to shift down gears. In slow moving traffic, I like to stick it in 'E' and just let the car do all the work! This is the main reason I purchased this type of transmission ... a certain part of my journey home each day is always in slow moving traffic, and I simply got fed up having to work the clutch pedal - none of that now!!

In 'E' mode it can be a bit jerky when shifting up gears, however I test drove the Auris and the Civic on the same day and the Toyota was far smoother.

If you want a true Automatic, my advice is simple ... buy an Automatic! But if you wish to retain the choice as to when to shift up and down gear, yet don't want the hassle of a clutch pedal, then I have found the Auris MMT hard to beat.

I wish people would stop comparing MMT to Automatic - they're simply different. When buying a car, please consider that there are 3 different choices out there!

Hi auris2008

I've heard of the 'snow mode' but never thought of using it without snow!! When I drive home tomorrow in my usual slow-moving traffic, I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links