Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aux For 2001 Y Reg Avensis Cdx?

Leozack

Thought I'd try my luck in this forum ...

I have a Y reg avensis CDX (not the 2001+ model) which has been mostly good to me. But the original satnav is not only out of date by 8 years (you can imagine the fun using that) and I'm reliant on a tape adapter to play my mp3 player! Recently the stereo has decided to continually spit out my tape adapter. Sometimes I get a drive that's fine, other times it spits it out wihtin 10s of pushing it in every time and it sends me into mad roadrage lol it's not good to have rebelling equipment and then I have to drive in silence or revert to the 6 CD changer (located in the boot)!

Anyways - I've checked the abck of the stock stereo and there is no AUX :( If I had to upgrade the stereo headunit - the current one is combined with the central screen that provides the mpg/range/satnav/stereo controls and is hooked to the satnav/6changer in the boot aswell as steeringwheel controls and the 6 Speakers - which isn't a good thing x_x It seems if I unplug the CDplayer in the boot I also loose satnav in the boot :(

PS I just found some stuff on here about 2001 avensis stereo adapters

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/car_stereo_fitting_kits/toyota.htm

Toyota said to look at stereos they have to send them away for like 10 days for a quotations and price range from 80 to 300. They said ifI was up for doing it myself I could ask on findapart.com and findapart.co.uk, so I did - just got a reply from someone offering :

stereo headunit 90 days £75.00 used

To replace stock CDX stereo

Delivery: £10.00

VAT: £12.75

Total: £97.75

That's a lot for something that might start spitting my tapes out again x_X and not a breeze to change either.

Damn I want a line-in! ;__;

Does anyone have any thoughts? I found these

http://www.connects2.com/c2search.aspx?cat...2&modID=595

so I emailed 2connect saying

Hi there - I'm looking at using something like your Connects 2 Aux Adapter product CTVTYX001 for 2001 Toyota Avensis CDX. I've heard replacing the headunit disables the satnav - and sure enough unplugging the 12pin from the tapedeck part does disable the satnav (in the boot along with the 6d changer). Does plugging your AUX product in the middle there also disable the satnav do you know? And would I have to set the stereo to play the cdplayer to make the AUX work? Someone said they found playing their AUX also played the 6cd quietly until they disconnected the 6cd (which would remove the satnav again)

who just replied and said

Im afraid that the CTVTYX001 is not compatible with the sat nav system.

So I'm thinking what they mean is either to use their product without the 6cd in the boot playing I have to unplug the 6cd where I plug this in, or they're saying I don't have to unpug the 6cd but regardless it disabled the satnav part of that 12pin plug during the passthrough plug

So ... where can I go now for wanting AUX in my car but also pref not loosing my satnav? :/

I guess I could maybe finally buy a new satnav, but I'd still not know the best way to get AUD into the car since replacing the headunit is still not much fun and there aren't any fascia's etc :(

I ordered one of these : http://cgi.ebay.com/MP3-player-for-TOYOTA-...id=p3286.c0.m14

I don't have satnav, just an internal cd player, so dont know if they are compatible.

Could be you cant have too many accessories plugged in on the 12 pin connector at the same time.

By the way, are you sure your cassette/aux adapter is not faulty?

I ordered one of these : http://cgi.ebay.com/MP3-player-for-TOYOTA-...id=p3286.c0.m14

I don't have satnav, just an internal cd player, so dont know if they are compatible.

Could be you cant have too many accessories plugged in on the 12 pin connector at the same time.

By the way, are you sure your cassette/aux adapter is not faulty?

Thanks for the reply! That built-in mp3 palying thing looks interesting - is it supposed to fit in some dashboard switch hole somewhere? I can't think of anywhere in my car it would go. Also I have a nice mp3 player so really looking just for the AUX but at least this has aux!

Am I sure my cassette/aux adapter is not faulty? What would cause it to keep popping out like that? I bought a cheap one to compare and it popped that out even faster - my friend tried cutting the tabs off the spinny bits so that there would be nothing for the tape unit to turn - but that then meant the tape unit didn't even think it had a tape in at all so spat it back out anyway.

I really don't know much about car stereos or anything. All I know is my Y/2001 avensis CDX has a cassette unit in the front, the central display unit in the front, and the 6cd & satnav units in the boot. Here's some pics I took when having a look in the back the other day. Pic 3 is looking down the back from above as it's pulled out. Pic 4 is looking at the backs of the units - the central display unit is above, the tape unit is below. The satnav & 6cd I guess are connecting to the tape unit via the 12pin? :/

post-47516-1252340747_thumb.jpg

post-47516-1252340762_thumb.jpg

post-47516-1252340782_thumb.jpg

post-47516-1252340795_thumb.jpg

I have the exact same car as you (2001 Y-reg Avensis CDX) with cd changer and sat nav in the boot.

I also used a Connects2 box to connect my MP3 player, and it doesn't stop the Satnav working. You disconnect the cd changer from the back of the stereo and plug it into the Connects2 box, which then plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the stereo. You then have a left and right plug into the Connects2 box from your MP3/AUX/whatever.

The sat nav still works perfectly, and I just disconnected the cd changer in the boot. (Why limit myself to 6 CD's when my iPod has ALL my CD's on it?!)

I'm pretty sure I have the box in the shed so I'll have a look tonight if I remember.

Looking at the Connects2 website I think it's the CTATYS001 that I have.

*EDIT*

Looking at picture 4, I think it is the bottom left 12 pin connector that it uses like you say. It been a while since I fitted mine!

Sweet - finally someone who's been in my position :) I read on a similar thread somewhere that someone disconnected the 6cd beause if they didn't it kept playing the cds quietly anytime their AUX was playing (and for that matter - how do I select the AUX (via connect2 box) for palyback on the stereo? And what controls/steeringcontrols are still usable?

Also you say the satnav works but then say you disconencted the 6cd. I thought the 6cd and satnav both used the 12pin into the stereo? (although why the satnav doesn't connect straight into the main display unit I dunno!!! to stop you upgrading your stereo headunit? thanks guys - it's easily done in the non CDX versions!! :P ). I guess if the 6cd uses the 12pin on the left of the headunit then the connector on the right must goto the display unit above? So where does the satnav connect if not sharing the 12pin with the 6cd? There are no manuals for these things :/ The best I got was the console deconstruction printoff from toyota.

I'm also wondering how best to fit/fix the connects2 box, and what's best as far as routing a cable from the connects2 box to somewhere out the front. And I haven't found a price for the connects2 box yet! :P

The toyota radios (as well as most other built in car audio systems) use a data bus system to select which unit should play at a given moment,

and also select disc, track, pause etc..

I guess all of those units have an address of some kind. Because of that each of them can be connected in parallell with

each other with a Y-cable.

Maybe the connect2 and the cd changer have the same bus address, and therefore can not be connected at the same time.

Try to connect them all with a Y-cable, and if it doesn't work, disconnect the cd changer.

Bare in mind I don't own it yet, though I just saw it's about £30-40 online (anyone recommend a seller?)

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=CTVTYX001

So I can't connect anything yet. If your'e suggesting I need to buy a conenctor other than what comes with it - then what? From what funkyg said I don't have to disconnect the 6cd/satnav though he did - but then I thought they used the same connection so ... still confused on this one for now!

Sweet - finally someone who's been in my position :) I read on a similar thread somewhere that someone disconnected the 6cd beause if they didn't it kept playing the cds quietly anytime their AUX was playing (and for that matter - how do I select the AUX (via connect2 box) for palyback on the stereo? And what controls/steeringcontrols are still usable?

Yes, the CD's played quietly which is why I disconnected it. (Although I suppose I could have just taken the CD's out!)

You don't select AUX, you select CD on the stereo, the Connects2 box becomes your CD changer. The only steering wheel controls that are usable while you're using this are the volume and power. This isn't an issue for me as I have a Drive + Play to control my iPod, see below.

Also you say the satnav works but then say you disconencted the 6cd. I thought the 6cd and satnav both used the 12pin into the stereo? (although why the satnav doesn't connect straight into the main display unit I dunno!!! to stop you upgrading your stereo headunit? thanks guys - it's easily done in the non CDX versions!! :P ). I guess if the 6cd uses the 12pin on the left of the headunit then the connector on the right must goto the display unit above? So where does the satnav connect if not sharing the 12pin with the 6cd?

Yes I think it does still use the 12 pin at the stereo end, but you can just pull the plug out at the other end, i.e. out of the actual CD changer in the boot, but leave the sat nav end plugged in.

I'm also wondering how best to fit/fix the connects2 box, and what's best as far as routing a cable from the connects2 box to somewhere out the front. And I haven't found a price for the connects2 box yet! :P

Where are you going to mount your MP3 player? My Connects2 box just sits in the space behind the stereo and the cable into it goes into the glove box. It doesn't matter that I can't see the iPod because I also have a Harman Kardon Drive + Play, which is brilliant. You get a screen on the dash (mine's behind the steering wheel on the left) and a jog wheel to control it with.

HK-DP1EU.jpg

You can get them on eBay for £30 now (Drive + Play on Ebay)

I'm not selling these, I just really rate the one I have.

If you have any more questions/problems, just give me a shout. Makes a change me be being able to help out on here!

Bare in mind I don't own it yet, though I just saw it's about £30-40 online (anyone recommend a seller?)

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=CTVTYX001

So I can't connect anything yet. If your'e suggesting I need to buy a conenctor other than what comes with it - then what? From what funkyg said I don't have to disconnect the 6cd/satnav though he did - but then I thought they used the same connection so ... still confused on this one for now!

I got mine a couple of years ago and can't remember where I got it from, sorry. I'm pretty sure it came with the required lead to plug into the headphone socket though, no other cables needed.

Yes, the CD's played quietly which is why I disconnected it. (Although I suppose I could have just taken the CD's out!)

You don't select AUX, you select CD on the stereo, the Connects2 box becomes your CD changer. The only steering wheel controls that are usable while you're using this are the volume and power. This isn't an issue for me as I have a Drive + Play to control my iPod, see below.

Also you say the satnav works but then say you disconencted the 6cd. I thought the 6cd and satnav both used the 12pin into the stereo? (although why the satnav doesn't connect straight into the main display unit I dunno!!! to stop you upgrading your stereo headunit? thanks guys - it's easily done in the non CDX versions!! :P ). I guess if the 6cd uses the 12pin on the left of the headunit then the connector on the right must goto the display unit above? So where does the satnav connect if not sharing the 12pin with the 6cd?

Yes I think it does still use the 12 pin at the stereo end, but you can just pull the plug out at the other end, i.e. out of the actual CD changer in the boot, but leave the sat nav end plugged in.

Where are you going to mount your MP3 player? My Connects2 box just sits in the space behind the stereo and the cable into it goes into the glove box. It doesn't matter that I can't see the iPod because I also have a Harman Kardon Drive + Play, which is brilliant. You get a screen on the dash (mine's behind the steering wheel on the left) and a jog wheel to control it with.

HK-DP1EU.jpg

You can get them on eBay for £30 now (Drive + Play on Ebay)

I'm not selling these, I just really rate the one I have.

If you have any more questions/problems, just give me a shout. Makes a change me be being able to help out on here!

Great reply mate and the link to eBay was very interesting for other electronic stuff, this is what makes a forum great ... having such a wide knowledge base and we all have different skills to contribute. :thumbsup:

Regards Pete

Oh yes, almost forgot. I also had to add one of these.

It's a 'ground loop isolator'. My iPod worked if I connected it via just the Connects2 box, or just via the Drive + Play (FM Modulator or tape adaptor). If I tried to connect it using both I got really annoying interference when the engine was running. I think it was because the Drive + Play and the stereo were using different power sources and one introduced interference to the other.

You can get them cheaper than Maplin on eBay but I couldn't be bothered waiting and we have a Maplin in town.

If you are just connecting via the Connects2 you should have this problem, but I just thought I'd forewarn you in case you got any feedback/interference. I know I was banging my head against the wall when I first fitted mine!

Hmm. you also could get one of them fm transmitters for cigarette plug.

I think they come with line in. Don't know if they are any good though.

Hmm. you also could get one of them fm transmitters for cigarette plug.

I think they come with line in. Don't know if they are any good though.

I wouldn't bother. I've tried a standard one, which was absolutely rubbish, and one that plugs into the FM aerial, which was only slightly better than rubbish.

Judging by the price of them, they almost have to be rubbish. :P

OK this is all making more sense now. I'm using a 16g sony walkman mp3 player I bought this year, not an ipod, so I'm not using any addons like the drive+play (so hopefully won't need the isolator either) - the power + volume on the wheel was all I really wanted. I currently keep the mp3 player down by the gearstick and pick it up when I want to change something - it's no problem as I usually leave it on a playlist.

So I think I need to buy one of these connects2 boxes from somewhere and try to hook it up. I'm not sure how I can fix the box in place behind the stereo though?

And I guess I could try and get the cable to come down through the ashtray or past that and out underneath the ashtray? It would be convenient to keep it (and mp3 player) in the ashtray I gues, but now I "rediscovered the ashtray" I'm tempted to put my rubbish in there instead of the central cupholder area since the ashtray I can actually remove and clean unlike the cupholder area :P

Just noticed this

http://shop.audioimages.co.uk/connects-2-c...av4-p-3580.html

allegedly a fascia for the 98-03 avensis but it doesn't look like it would fit anywhere in my console!

But to the connects2, think I may get it from here

http://shop.audioimages.co.uk/connects-2-c...av4-p-3583.html

OK this is all making more sense now. I'm using a 16g sony walkman mp3 player I bought this year, not an ipod, so I'm not using any addons like the drive+play (so hopefully won't need the isolator either) - the power + volume on the wheel was all I really wanted. I currently keep the mp3 player down by the gearstick and pick it up when I want to change something - it's no problem as I usually leave it on a playlist.

So I think I need to buy one of these connects2 boxes from somewhere and try to hook it up. I'm not sure how I can fix the box in place behind the stereo though?

And I guess I could try and get the cable to come down through the ashtray or past that and out underneath the ashtray? It would be convenient to keep it (and mp3 player) in the ashtray I gues, but now I "rediscovered the ashtray" I'm tempted to put my rubbish in there instead of the central cupholder area since the ashtray I can actually remove and clean unlike the cupholder area :P

Just noticed this

http://shop.audioimages.co.uk/connects-2-c...av4-p-3580.html

allegedly a fascia for the 98-03 avensis but it doesn't look like it would fit anywhere in my console!

But to the connects2, think I may get it from here

I was in the same boat for my 2002 Avensis Verso and bought one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-STEREO-BLUETOOTH...id=p3286.c0.m14

It has AUX in for and MP3 player connection but doesn't allow you to control the MP3 player from the headunit. bluetooth works very well. I bought two 4gb memory cards for me and my wife and it works great. CD player and radio both good. I got a slightly older unit for £35 off Fleabay. Fitting was OK apart from getting the correct fascia adapter but the cabling was easy. Got cables with unit and fascia adapter off Fleabay as well.

Hi KenMavor - I was contemplating buying a new stereo headunit but if I do that I'd lose my satnav from the boot (even though I really should buy a new portable one ...) and probably loose steeringwheel controls too. And I haven't seen any fascia's that look like they fit the CDX 2001 avensis either. I think adding an aux to the stock stereo's CD player function is the best solution for now :/ Shame I can't get a nice new does-everything doubledin unit then!! :P

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I got it from here

and a week later it turned up. I went otuside and plugged it in - worked straight away. But sure enough the cd was also playing at the same time. So I went into the boot and unplugged the back of the cdplayer - simple! Now when I select CD it says 1 - 1, but it's playing directly from my aUX input MP3 player, and the satnav still works - woot! I ran the connector from the 12pin down through a gap by the !Removed! lighter socket so the actual 2connects box itself is sat in the little cubbyhole underneath it all where I had previously stored junk lol. Into that plugs the phono leads ending in the 3.5m jack into my mp3 player - score!

Here's a pic of the 2connects box connected into the 12pin socket with the stereo/satnav 12pin connected to the passthrough. In the end it was the simplest way to get line in ever, no holes made or changes made, 10 minutes fitting and everything reversable in 10 minutes again - score!

post-47516-1253393055_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hi all - my headunit is just a CD player - no satnav or CD changer. I have the 2002 Avensis SR, the console looks identical as in your pictures except CD instead of tape. Will all the wiring be the same in the back of mine? If so I could buy a connects 2 unit and plug the ipod in. Only problem might be the CD button - at present it works the main CD unit itself. Any ideas?

Dave

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links