Photo
- - - - -

Yaris Brakes Need Replacing After 23,000 Miles?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 PhillWalker

PhillWalker

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: 2009 Auris T-Spirit

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could pass opinion if this sounds right?

I have a 2006 new shape toyota yaris, and I took the car to toyota for a check over and they have stated that the brakes are 80% worn and need replacing. The car is coming up to 3 years old in September, and has done 22,700 miles. Surely this does not sound right? The car is driven conservativly at all times.

Unfortunatly ive had endless problems with it in the past including replacement central locking, head gasket, leaking washer unit, replacement pump, O2 sensors, split manifold sensor, and now a chirping from a belt which is why it went in today.

Any advice is welcome.

Phill

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 alfiejts

alfiejts

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • First Name:Graham
  • Toyota Model: Yaris 1.3 SR Nav (was 2000 1.0 CDX)
  • Year: 2008

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

Well brake pads do wear down and are a consumable item, so it could be right. Also brake disks have a minimum thickness and if they wear they will need replacing too.

That said, 22,000 miles does seem a bit low, but then, that depends upon how hard the brake pads are.

We had a (Jap) 2000 Yaris that was still on its original pads after 60000 miles, but they could have been a very different compound than that fitted to your French built car.

Different types of pads wear down at different rates, so all you can really do is see how other 2006 Yaris owners respond to your post....

It may be "normal wear" or it might be abnormal - but whichever it is, if they really have worn down, they will need to be replaced....

#3 sheldon b

sheldon b

• Registered Member
  • 14 posts
  • Toyota Model: yaris mark2 D4d T3

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

Hi there, I had over 50,000 miles on my yaris front pads, and it was also a 2006 model. I have had many problems with my car, all done under warranty, but suprising from a toyota! What model is yours?

#4 sheldon b

sheldon b

• Registered Member
  • 14 posts
  • Toyota Model: yaris mark2 D4d T3

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

Hi there, I had over 50,000 miles on my yaris front pads, and it was also a 2006 model. I have had many problems with my car, all done under warranty, but suprising from a toyota! What model is yours?

sorry phil, just saw your profile, 1.3 T3. I know that toyta have a new 1.3 stop start engine out now. I renewed the warranty on mine , I would do the same if was you, I have already had a new horn ( i don't use it much, by the way!) and a new Catalytic converter replaced since the original 60,000 mile warranty expired.

good luck,

sheldon

#5 PhillWalker

PhillWalker

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

sorry phil, just saw your profile, 1.3 T3. I know that toyta have a new 1.3 stop start engine out now. I renewed the warranty on mine , I would do the same if was you, I have already had a new horn ( i don't use it much, by the way!) and a new Catalytic converter replaced since the original 60,000 mile warranty expired.

good luck,

sheldon

Well when the head gasket went I wrote and complained and they gave me a 1 year extended warranty for free, though you still have to pay the diagnostics fee. I am quite suprised as to how many problems ive had.

I guess the brakes are just a softer compound as were my original tyres which lasted 9,000 miles because they were super soft the centre said. Im now on 30 each budgets 13,000 miles later and they look as new as the day I bought them!

#6 gar

gar

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Toyota Model: yaris 1.3 cdx

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:37 PM

the Yaris is famous for brakepad queries.... some wear out alarmingly fast, (under 10,000 miles) others last for 40,000-plus! Tyres too, can do this, on any vehicle. some last 30,000 -on, others wear in 5-6 thousand! can make a difference by driving careful, but soft tyres are NEVER gonna last till hell freezes over, nor will rubbish brake pads!
Would be worth a poll, though to see if the froggy pads wear out faster or if that is just us japaholics using the whip to beat the french, again! After all, it may be just as likely the jap ones wear fast too, sometimes!

#7 wots

wots

• Registered Member
  • 14 posts
  • First Name:Russ
  • Toyota Model: Auris TR
  • Year: 2011

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

Hi Folks,

Well Brake pads!

No its not correct!

Thing is I didn't notice whether you said both sides?

One side only you could suspect the caliper is sticking

Both then Brake drag brakes not set up correct (Mechanism) hard to explain try cornering in a car park gently see if you can here the brakes dragging?

However my first Yaris 2003 had scored discs at aroud 20K were skimmed by toyota free of charge then they thought they needed doing next service I sid they had already been skimmed. They replaced them on service under warranty.

I bought this car as an ex demonstrator so wasn't exactly brand new so don't be conned they did it free and on what gets often banded by garages as consumables, so why shouldn't you (Listers of Coventry - Hurrah for Listers!).

I think Pad differences or metal grades copuld be the difference but usually down to calipers dragging, hoses too short causong drag particularly on cornering etc.

I have bought two others from Listers since but Nuneaton nearer dealership nothing wrong just nearer easier to get to!

I did have a problem with my next a new shape 1.3 belt noise was down to misalign ment apprently inthe end wasn't easy to spot took them 3 attempts, <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>ing annoying!

#8 toyboata

toyboata

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Toyota Model: Aygo

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

I had a 56 reg yaris 1.3 T3 -- and also had far more problems than i expected from it...hence why i've got rid of it before the old warranty expired -- i did consider extending the warrenty - but wasnt worth the money IMO.

waiting for my new aygo now which i expect to be better than the yaris.

#9 PhillWalker

PhillWalker

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:49 PM

Toyota said it was both sides. I took the car in for a check on the belt as it was making a noise when cold, and they couldnt find a fault, just said i would have to bring it back for a cold start test in mid august, and whilst it was there I asked them to give the brakes a once over just because I thought it may have been pulling to the left under braking, and all they said was no fault found but they are 80% gone.

#10 alfiejts

alfiejts

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • First Name:Graham
  • Toyota Model: Yaris 1.3 SR Nav (was 2000 1.0 CDX)
  • Year: 2008

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:44 AM

I had a problem with my Yaris 2000 Yaris brakes pulling to the left under braking.

You couldn't notice it around town. Only if you tried to brake really strongly from 40mph plus.

Take it out on an empty stretch of dry road and try braking firmly from a speed over 45mph. Mine had a marked pul to the left. The garages and MOT tester couldn't find any fault.
It turned out to be the back brakes not the front brakes.

Normally, its the front brakes that cause pullling, so that's all the garages were checking.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users