Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best Polish For Black Rav?

Stupidmia

We all know that black is a bugger to keep clean etc....but it does look nice when clean :thumbsup:

Taking into account that I am a bit too lazy to spend the best part of a day polishing and waxing etc.....what would be the best stuuff to polish my black car (It looks shiny when clean...but you can see the swirl marks when looking from angles). I've read good things about AG SRP and also read about AG Deep Shine (although some reviews say it is crap for black cars)!

Is there one that is better at filling and masking swirls?

Also, why is Toyota paintwork so !Removed! scratcheable? My Roadster paintwork was easily chippable too!

If I am driving down a narrow lane and a stray bit of thorny type weed should brush along the car....it always leaves a mark :angry:

I'm hoping these marks will polish out however.

Cheers :thumbsup:

We all know that black is a bugger to keep clean etc....but it does look nice when clean :thumbsup:

Taking into account that I am a bit too lazy to spend the best part of a day polishing and waxing etc.....what would be the best stuuff to polish my black car (It looks shiny when clean...but you can see the swirl marks when looking from angles). I've read good things about AG SRP and also read about AG Deep Shine (although some reviews say it is crap for black cars)!

Also, why is Toyota paintwork so !Removed! scratcheable? My Roadster paintwork was easily chippable too!

If I am driving down a narrow lane and a stray bit of thorny type weed should brush along the car....it always leaves a mark :angry:

My RAV is dark blue metallic and I have been very happy with Autoglym carnauba wax. It is about £30 a pot but you use very little. It is very easy to apply with the supplied damp sponge pad and buff with the microfibre cloth but the car must be spotless before application. It leaves a really hard finish that beads so well when wet that, when you pull away after the car has stood in rain you get a waterfall down the back window.

I have used MER for many years on all coloured cars and caravans with good effect

Guy

Thanks for all the advice.

I have orderd the following stuff so far (all Meguiars)

Lambswool Mitt

Water magnet towel

Gold class shampoo/conditioner

Smooth clay kit

Still wondering if a polish or wax would follow?

I've actually got some Meguiars chamois leathers (bought a job lot years ago)...but the website I looked at suggested the towel was a better option.

All I need now is some dry days and time!

The car was apparently prepared when I bought it from Pentagon Toyota....it still beads in the wet...would it be best to leave it a while for fear of removing the existing polish and undoing work already done?

Hi ,

Ive also a dreaded black rav and have tried all different polishes and waxes . The best combination ive tried to date is to clay bar the bodywork then apply some Supagard 100+ paint protection , it costs around £5 off eBay and does the car twice . It doesnt last 3 years like the some of the adverts say but i think it stays looking good for a good few months .

It seams to hide the dreaded swirl marks better than others ive tried and is easy to apply and polish off too , it comes with its own sponge to apply it . Some car dealers apply it to cars the sell and charge over £200 for it .

Good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice.

I have orderd the following stuff so far (all Meguiars)

Lambswool Mitt

Water magnet towel

Gold class shampoo/conditioner

Smooth clay kit

Still wondering if a polish or wax would follow?

I've actually got some Meguiars chamois leathers (bought a job lot years ago)...but the website I looked at suggested the towel was a better option.

All I need now is some dry days and time!

The car was apparently prepared when I bought it from Pentagon Toyota....it still beads in the wet...would it be best to leave it a while for fear of removing the existing polish and undoing work already done?

I use megs tech wax - its a mild non abrasive polish and a wax in one.

The clay will need a lubricant.

Hi,

I have just used maguires clay bar on my silver Rav and it is very good. In my kit I got a lubricating/waxing spray to use with the bar. You rub it off whilst still wet then use the maguires polish (I got the gold stuff) I am vey pleased with the result but as it is silver no-one really notices although the wife Prius which is light blue metallic came up nice.

At the moment I keep brushing my fingers along the paintwork to see how smooth it is as it really does make a difference (the clay bar) and I have not used one before.

Regards

Hi,

I have just used maguires clay bar on my silver Rav and it is very good. In my kit I got a lubricating/waxing spray to use with the bar. You rub it off whilst still wet then use the maguires polish (I got the gold stuff) I am vey pleased with the result but as it is silver no-one really notices although the wife Prius which is light blue metallic came up nice.

At the moment I keep brushing my fingers along the paintwork to see how smooth it is as it really does make a difference (the clay bar) and I have not used one before.

Regards

They do make a great difference to the smoothness and make polishing and waxing a lot easier .

Its amazing how much tar and other dirt they take off the surface of the paint too .....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links