Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

In-depth Avensis D4d 04 Service

IFFY100

Hi guys, new here; please take it easy.

Right I own an Avensis d4d (04) with roughly 60k miles on the clock. Now perviously I was getting the car serviced at the dealership but now I would like to service the car myself. I'm handy with tools snd have a fair bit of indepth knowledge on servicing my BMW 325i (petrol). However despite the knowledge, I have never touched a diesel. So, I was wondering if the users of the forum can guide me on how to carry out the service of the vehicle to a high standard? So far, correct me if Im wrong, the following things should be done to ensure tip top running.

1. oil change
  2. oil filter
  3. air filter
  4. coolant change
  5. clean maf
  6. egr service
  7. oil breather
  8. brake fluid
  9. fuel filter
  10. gearbox oil
  11. steering fluid change

As I said, correct me if I'm wrong.

I would also highly appreciate it if owners can refer me to diy write ups for all this. Thank you.

Thanks for the schedule mate. Anyone able to contribute with a write-up? and what repairs manual is the favourite around here?

Thanks for the schedule mate. Anyone able to contribute with a write-up? and what repairs manual is the favourite around here?

.....Toyota Service&Warranty book says

1.Full Health and safety service every 18k miles or 2 years.......so looks like you need a full service.

2.D4D engines....timing belt every 63k miles......I had mine at 58k and 110k...better earlier than to be sorry.

3.Spark plugs....platinum or Iridium type....every 54k miles....you should check what type your car have.

4.Ancillary drive belts(alternator,A/C,PS)....6th year or 63k miles

I added few extra things to look at,for your service.Hope this helps.

Cheers for that buddy. So belts and timing belt need to be done. Since my car is a diesel, where do I stand with the glow plugs?

And I take it there is no write ups on how to the stuff required?

Cheers for that buddy. So belts and timing belt need to be done. Since my car is a diesel, where do I stand with the glow plugs?

And I take it there is no write ups on how to the stuff required?

Check this topic regarding the glow plugs.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80733

To IFFY100.

From other answers your pretty much covered service wise. Just one thing in regards to Glow-Plugs, if you find 1 or 2 at fault, change them all. Avoid Blue Point/Print? glow plugs like the plague. A friend fitted a set without comparing tip size & lenght of heated element & they wedged in the head due to him forcing them in. Upon trying to remove them all 4 tips remained in cyl/head.

You will never remove them in a month of Sundays, even cranking engine over with very high compression modern diesel engine would not budge them, it will be a head removal job. You will be very very handy with tools if you have to remove head.

Also when changing cambelt, make sure you check condition of water pump & certainly consider changing it along side belt. You would be amazed how quick a brand new taut cambelt can kill water pump bearings.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: Took one tip back to motor factors & cross referenced part number which was correct for year of car & all the glow-plugs we looked at had larger tip than original Denso g/plugs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links