Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cigarette Lighter Fuse

krip2454

As I've given up driving down back alleys following my inboard (and years out of date) sat nav, I decided to buy a TomTom with all the bells and whistles.

The sat nav is brilliant, only there is a small problem. My cigarette lighter does not work and I have to run the sat nav on Battery. :crybaby: .

Does anyone know which fuse I need to check?

Cheers in anticipation :thumbsup: .

As I've given up driving down back alleys following my inboard (and years out of date) sat nav, I decided to buy a TomTom with all the bells and whistles.

The sat nav is brilliant, only there is a small problem. My cigarette lighter does not work and I have to run the sat nav on battery. :crybaby: .

You neglect to say what year or model of Avensis. Have a shufty in the handbook is best I can offer.

The sat nav is brilliant, only there is a small problem. My cigarette lighter does not work and I have to run the sat nav on battery. :crybaby: .

2003 onwards the cig lighter fuse is number 40 in the fuse box near the glove box. 15 amp.

Fitter

are you sure its not just the lighter thats duff.

they are pretty well standerd, just try one from another car just to cnfirm.

ignore this post if youve already done this.

My kids blew the cig lighter fuse with a cheapo game charger so I had the same problem (2003 new shape Avensis.)

The fuse you need is in the fuse-box behind your glove box as stated by Fitter.

Do as suggested and try another car's socket first.

If you still need to access your fuse-box, start by removing the damper arm on the left of the open glove box (single screw).

Squeeze the glove box (yep!) inwards slightly with one hand at each side to ease it off its runner guides.

It should then pop out easily and you can access/ change the fuse quickly.

Whilst you're in there, slide out the pollen filter in the housing, which is quick and easy,

but will almost certainly be full of grit, bees and rubbish etc.

Replace in reverse order- Job done! :-)

Hi,

Ive had some cheap cigarette plugs fall apart in the past, leaving a bit of metal in the cigarette socket. This then shorts out the socket and blows a fuse, also its worth checking for coins as these can short out the socket too.

You can use a short length of hosepipe attached to a hoover to remove any debris that might of collected in the socket.

Hope this helps.

I had an earth fault in my cigarette lighter. Worked fine as long as the car headlights weren't on. When they were there wasn't enough power left to go around it seemed.

Found out when using a satnav with a worn out Battery one evening just as we were getting near our destination. Turned the headlights on as it was getting dark and a few mins later the satnav starts to complain it is on Battery and running out of power. Luckily it lasted to where we were going.

My kids blew the cig lighter fuse with a cheapo game charger so I had the same problem (2003 new shape Avensis.)

The fuse you need is in the fuse-box behind your glove box as stated by Fitter.

Do as suggested and try another car's socket first.

If you still need to access your fuse-box, start by removing the damper arm on the left of the open glove box (single screw).

Squeeze the glove box (yep!) inwards slightly with one hand at each side to ease it off its runner guides.

It should then pop out easily and you can access/ change the fuse quickly.

Whilst you're in there, slide out the pollen filter in the housing, which is quick and easy,

but will almost certainly be full of grit, bees and rubbish etc.

Replace in reverse order- Job done! :-)

Fuse is ok. I seem to have a dodgy connection at the rear of the cig. lighter. Can I get to it? Can I f..... :ffs:

I appear to have a loose connection at the rear of the cig. lighter. When I plug the satnav lead in, I can occasionally get the power light on. Cannot remove the lighter to access it :censor:

I appear to have a loose connection at the rear of the cig. lighter. When I plug the satnav lead in, I can occasionally get the power light on. Cannot remove the lighter to access it :censor:

inside the tube where the lighter fits there should be a clip that you need to press to release the lighter body

you will need a very small screwdriver or simular.BUT if the lighter is only live with icnition ON leave it OFF

but if live all the time remove its fuse.

hope this helps.

you dont want a short while poking about with anything metal.

• 1 month later...

2003 onwards the cig lighter fuse is number 40 in the fuse box near the glove box. 15 amp.

Fitter

hi ,i see your answer for cig lighter (15 amp fuse) ive changed the fuse in my 03 avensis but cig lighter still will not work,any ideas? many thanks ,jonno.

hi ,i see your answer for cig lighter (15 amp fuse) ive changed the fuse in my 03 avensis but cig lighter still will not work,any ideas? many thanks ,jonno.

Hi mate,

there is a relay in the circuit and that may be faulty, I have included a diagram of the power outlet for you.

Regards, Pete.

post-74463-128592301175_thumb.gif

• 4 years later...

Hello people ! Knew 2 the forum can any1 help a coin fused my lighter so I checked the fuse but it seems 2 be ok does any1 no wat my problem might be. Thanks for reading

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links