Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina 2 Cv Joints

GarryH

Hi there. I've got a 1992 1.6GL with 80000 on the clock. Just started getting a slight clicking noise when going round right hand corners. Noise seems to be coming from passenger side outer joint but when driving the car with the window up, it feels like the noise is more central and on the gearbox side. Is there anyway to check if it is the outer or inner joint without having to strip hub assembly etc. Would the noise indicate the joint needs replaced or simply regreasing.

I've got the Peter Russek manual as this seems to be all that is available and it says that you would need to replace the whole driveshaft if it is the outer joint that is worn, yet the local autoparts dealer can supply the joint on its own. I'm at a bit of a loss here as it's proven near impossible to get any really good information about the carina 2 which is a great car. If anyone knows of any other good service manuals or sites please let me know.

Thanks

GarryH

Hi Garry

Ud be as well to replace the whole shaft, one from the scrapyard will do well and will be cheaper than a new shaft. To the best of my knowledge you can replace the outer cv joint, ive never known the inner cv joint to fail on these models.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mate, I replaced the outer without replacing the shaft, there is a shallow slot cut around the shaft which has spring circlip in it which locates in a matching slot on the inside of the hole the shaft slides into.

You can't see it while the cv unit is on the shaft, but if you strike the rear of the cv unit with a soft hammer, nylon or hide, the unit slides off the shaft, you just have to use enough force to overcome and compress the spring clip.

• 1 month later...

I have just noticed when driving my 1999 Carina 11 that when turning hard to the right e.g. around a roundabout there is a persistant knock from the front but I cannot tell from which side? Your replies dont say from which side of the car the problem lies when you are turning to the right?

Is this a job that is urgent or not ? Are there many examples of this model in scrap yards up and down the country?

Any idea what Toyota would charge for repair as my car is due for service in April?

Yes, I agree, what a great car, I am amazed daily.

Sould read 1990 Carina 11

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links