Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hid Kit

Nadin

Hi does anyone know if there is a specific HID kit for a 57 plate avenisis if not can anyone make a suggestion of what kit to go for and how to go about fitting it?

Don't fit it.... if you do and then leave it on the car when it goes in for an MOT it will fail given that the testing rules are changing fairly soon :huh:

Save the effort and live with the standard headlights :thumbsup:

I had HID on my previous car. Everyday I see cars with HID which make me tempted....but rules are changing.

:censor:

Corporate bussiness....

just get upgrade bulbs -Philips & Osram seem decent.

However, my experience is that this will noticeably improve light within the beam pattern but didn't seem to increase range much (I suspect that this is a lens design issue).

Oh, & changing the bulbs is a pain unless you have small hands :censor:

As mentioned, HID kits are not totally legal and stand a chance of failing future MOT's as the rules are changing later this year, however if fitted correctly and aligned properly there is no reason why you should cause any problems to other road users.

The kit you need is a direct replacement for your cars headlights, so in my case i would need a HB3 for main beam, so find out what type of main beam bulb your car takes and order accordingly.

Then there is the Kelvin rating. The higher the number, the more coloured the light, and the more colour in the light, the less light on the road.

4000k is probably the whitest light you would get, but 6000k is a good compromise of light on the road, and a 'blue' tint to oncoming traffic, like a factory fit xenon kit.

But remember, they aren't fully legal, so be sure to get them aligned correctly after fitment to avoid getting pulled over, and be prepared to either remove them at MOT time, or simply take the risk and hope you don't fail.

:thumbsup:

didn't know they were changing the rules on that i think i might save the cash and get better bulbs like heidfirt suggests! is it easier to remove the whole headlight to swap the bulbs? i know it was in my old t-sport unless you had tiny double jointed hands the eye on the end of your fingers lol why do they make it such a pain to swap a service item!

So you pay them labour costs to do it for you :censor:

OR ....... Ask the wife very nicely and she may be able to do it. :hug:

The rules pertaining to HID headlights have been around since December 2006.

Now the MOT tests are going to enforce those rules. So in effect most after-market kits are illegal.

For further information - see the links below.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

http://wrecks2riches.co.uk/2010/10/2011-changes-to-mot/

I fitted some 5000k HID's to my Avensis on the weekend and they only took about half an hour or so to fit. I didn't have to remove the lamps or bumper etc.

The improvement over the crap standard lights is worth the risk of being pulled over. My MOT is due in a few weeks time, so I'll just stick the standard bulbs back in for it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links