Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Economy 1.33 Vvti

avensis57tr

I'm just looking to see what fuel economy other 1.33 owners are getting from their Yaris. Our 1.33 has about 1500 miles on the clock and is only managing about 38-40 mpg which isn't great. I know it may be that the engine needs a few more miles to give its best but would like to see if other owners are getting much better results? Its a bit disappointing looking at some of the 1.33 Auris owners who seem to be getting a similar figure if not more from a bigger car.

Many Thanks

Its a bit disappointing looking at some of the 1.33 Auris owners who seem to be getting a similar figure if not more from a bigger car.

I have an Oct 2009 Auris which is used mainly for short commuter journeys to and from work, and then for holidays. For the first 1800 miles where journeys were almost entirely commuter runs, the consumption was only slightly better than my previous Corolla 1.4. After our holiday on Skye in May, where I put another 1700 miles or so on the clock which also included 600 miles motorway driving, the consumption did improve a lot. On a run loaded with two people and a full load with rear seats folded, I get up to 48. Commuter runs average around 36-37. I am sure with a few more miles and some motorway driving to blow the cobwebs out, your consumption will improve. The Auris has just gone over 6000 miles (after 16 months ownership).

Going to Skye again in May (only for the 18th year running), and I fully expect the car to do as well if not better

Morning, i own a 2010 model 1.33 tr and commute 65 miles a day of which 80% is at 60 mph and the rest at stop start traffic.Over the last 9 month i have kept a record of the fuel economy and it has averaged 61.2 mpg so i am very happy with that.The car is currently at 10000 miles and going strong.

Regards Tweeky

Hey that's pretty good for a petrol Yaris. You're nearing diesel territory there! :lol:

Its good to hear that others are getting such good fuel economy :), hopefully ours will start to improve a bit more then as the miles pile up. If i get anywhere near 50mph I will be very happy but 61.2 is brilliant. Will keep this update on when it improves.

I used to get 50mpg from my old 1.3, which is supposed to be less economical than the 1.33 so I would assume you would get 50mpg+

Avensis57tr, it will be mainly to do with the car being new, as others suggest, though could also come down to driving style. Obviously with the car being new you don't want to go too gentle on it. Are you making full use of the stop/start system on that engine?

I have the 2008 1.3, I remember how tight that car felt when I first got it, and how it started to loosen off and bed in. Before it would feel real tight and economy was nothing special but you notice it feel nippy and responsive - at first you'd have to give it some shove to get going, then you're only willing it on - plus that fuel economy greatly improves. I was getting mid-40s (when Toyota claim mine will average 47.1 mpg) but once it settled in, I'm regularly getting low-to-mid-50s out of it, often averaging well over 60mpg on some journeys.

Hope you enjoy the car

I want a sub-99 CO2 1.6 D4D in the next Yaris!! If Audi and Ford can do it...! :D

Its my mum who uses the car mainly I'm making sure she is using the full rev range when warm don't see the point in not giving the engine work to do or it won't bed in properly. Have a feeling your right about it being a tight engine and hopefully it will loosen up nicely over the next 1000 or so miles. Anywhere near 50 mpg will be good and make it worth changing from the Avensis 2.0 diesel she had which used to manage around 45mpg plus the Yaris is a lot cheaper road tax and easier around town. Its a shame Toyota don't do a turbo or supercharged 1.0 3 cylinder with 100bhp I think that would be an ace little engine for the yaris especially if they made a DSG style auto.

I nearly never go over 3-4000rpm, don't see the point of revving the engine apart from overtaking or maybe emergency situations. On a straight level lane, no high revs. Saves fuel, engine and exhaust.

Yeah, I find if I keep my D4D below the turbo threshold (about 2000rpm) I get much better efficiency.

Yep understand keeping revs low is good for fuel economy just want to make sure the engine beds in well first.

I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with new engines; Some people say you should be gentle, while others say you should run it up and down the rev range to keep the wear even?!

The D4Ds take longer to wear in than the VVTi's tho'

I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with new engines; Some people say you should be gentle, while others say you should run it up and down the rev range to keep the wear even?!

The D4Ds take longer to wear in than the VVTi's tho'

The general ones seems to not let it labour at low revs high throttle openings. As it's not just the engine that needs to bed in, then using the gears etc would seem to need to be used too, which sitting at 69.99 mph on the motorway won't do, unless you go up and down the gearbox at that speed :eek:

The key is neither to labour the engine, nor trash the nuts off it. Keep the revs to no more than 70% maximum for the first 1000 miles and then gradually build from there.

Actually, yes, but try getting some numpties to understand this!

Now actually, I've read another school of thought that says you need to rev it so that the piston rings bed in properly and don't glaze over, because if they glaze over, they won't bed in and seal properly, you'll lose some compression and it could use oil in the future.

Also - if you drive it for too long before running it at max revs, then you get a ridge forming in the top of the cylinder bore which is fractionally below where it would be when the car runs at max revs, so that's not good either.

So although you're not meant to thrash it, even after a few hundred miles you should occasionally give it some good revs (without labouring it), just to seal in the piston rings and ensure the cylinder bores don't get a ridge formed on them in the wrong place...

Now actually, I've read another school of thought that says you need to rev it so that the piston rings bed in properly and don't glaze over, because if they glaze over, they won't bed in and seal properly, you'll lose some compression and it could use oil in the future.

Also - if you drive it for too long before running it at max revs, then you get a ridge forming in the top of the cylinder bore which is fractionally below where it would be when the car runs at max revs, so that's not good either.

So although you're not meant to thrash it, even after a few hundred miles you should occasionally give it some good revs (without labouring it), just to seal in the piston rings and ensure the cylinder bores don't get a ridge formed on them in the wrong place...

what?

So... drive it normally as if you were in some massively hilly place like Bath or most of Wales? :lol:

(I remember trying to take my old Fiesta up some of those hills; Had to goto 1st gear! :eek: I think my Yaris would just eat them up now tho':D)

If you have that much play between the pistons and the crankshaft then there might be slightly more worrying consequences :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I have a Yaris 1.33 SR vvti which is driven locally every day. It has done 8000 miles and I'm only getting approx. 26-28mpg which seems too low even though it's being driven locally. Before this car, I had a 1.0 vvti (51 plate) which would give me 32mpg local.

I've had the car serviced using genuine filters and Toyota engine oil (5w30) so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

I have a Yaris 1.33 SR vvti which is driven locally every day. It has done 8000 miles and I'm only getting approx. 26-28mpg which seems too low even though it's being driven locally. Before this car, I had a 1.0 vvti (51 plate) which would give me 32mpg local.

I've had the car serviced using genuine filters and Toyota engine oil (5w30) so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

When you say locally do you mean predominately 'short' journeys? I'm guessing so judging by the low mpg of your 1.0ltr 51 plate. If indeed you are jouneying the same route in the 1.33 ltr then based on your previous Yaris mpg it doesn't surprise me of the 26-28 mpg as the 6 speed box will not get much of a look in in the higher gears where after all much of the fuel economy lies.

I am assuming you keep an eye on tyre pressures etc to maximise effiecency.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links