Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aftermarket Air Filters

Druid Boy

So, I'm thinking about fitting a K&N air filter to my 06 Avensis 2.2 D4D, mostly to save a few pennies on servicing but also cos it may help it breath a little better. If I go for it I will fit one to my bike as well cos the bike seems to choke its filters really quickly. I have used K&Ns on bikes before but only as part of a air filter, carb jet, head skim & race exhaust modification. Does anyone have any experience of K&N filter on Toyotas or any words of wisdom? The savings are pretty small so I may just stick with OEM filters.

So, I'm thinking about fitting a K&N air filter to my 06 Avensis 2.2 D4D, mostly to save a few pennies on servicing but also cos it may help it breath a little better. If I go for it I will fit one to my bike as well cos the bike seems to choke its filters really quickly. I have used K&Ns on bikes before but only as part of a air filter, carb jet, head skim & race exhaust modification. Does anyone have any experience of K&N filter on Toyotas or any words of wisdom? The savings are pretty small so I may just stick with OEM filters.

I thought K&N filter was expensive that OEM filter.

it is but it's reusable so over several services will work out cheaper.

I've seen it said though that oiled filters like the KN aren't good for turbodiesels.

K&N is another one of those brands that everyone thinks is the best, but its not. Its just the best advertised.

The oil on K&N filters has been linked to MAF failures on many cars over the years, making it an EXPENSIVE modification when you factor in the cost of a new MAF.

Try looking at the dry foam filters (Pipercross) or sticking with the tried, tested and approved paper filters that do what they say on the tin.

As something to think about, if the car is breathing easier then thats because the filteration holes are larger. If the holes are larger, then more particles are getting through.

From personal experience of trying K&N/Pipercross/Green and a couple of others on previous cars, i can honestly say that the performance is no better, and the paper filters seem to do a better job.

Its your money, but if it was me i would buy my filter from Toyota (which is what i plan to do when i change mine).

I hadn't thought about the oil transferring to the MAF, yeah, that could prove expensive. Mind you people tend to over oil the filters thinking that it will provide better filtration, which of course it doesn't.

I've fitted a K&N air filter to my T-180 and it does make a difference to both the performance and fuel economy. A lot of Lexus 220d owners fit them to there cars that have the same engine.

There has and always will be talk about the oil that is used on the filter that it messes up the MAF. It really doesn't at all in my experiance. I have one on my VW Polo TDi and had not a problem in over 500000 miles of learner drivers using the car. :thumbsup:

I agree, i never had a MAF failure with any of the filters fitted, but i've always blotted alot of it off before fitting them. On the other hand, most VAG forums have lots of complaints about the MAF failing from the oil on these filters, so you have to take it on board and work out the risks.

I try to make a habbit of giving my paper filter a blow out or hoover every other month, and give the MAF a clean and reset the ECU all at the same time.

The car always produces better MPG on over the next tank, and it gradually tails off slightly as the miles clock up and the ECU settles into my driving style again.

Well, the air filter gets changed every 30k (or 40k if I check my receipts. Wierd) so there is virtually nothing to save. Original air filter it is then!

I've had a K&N panel filter fitted to my t180 for over 2 years now with no issues.

I think oil fouling the MAF is a load of old Boll**ks - even when first fitted, it wasnt exactly dripping with oil. If it had have been then it would have ruined the increased airflow capacity of the filter. I've used K&N Filters for years and they have a decent reputation.

• Like 1

I will still pop one in my bike, just for the price of a genuine one it hardly seems worth it on the car

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links