Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warning Lights/buzzer

jonjosar

Hi all, Just to explain the incident briefly,

Approx 3 months ago, the VSC and ABS warning lights came on the car which has now done 47k. I had a look on the forum which indicated cleaning the EGR valve might sort the problem. I had a look at it and tbh, it wasnt too bad( compared to some of the pics on the forum) but it was definitely blocked. Gave it a good clean with "wurth" carb cleaner and refitted. No more lights and i had a good increase in MPG indicated.

Then on Saturday past, whilst gently braking to a halt in a line of traffic, same warning lights again. The car has only covered approx 1500 miles since cleaning the valve.

I,ve been watching the oil consumption and it doesnt appear to be using any. Coolant level is normal and i,ve had a look for any leaks.

Another bit of info, (maybe unrelated) but since buying the car approx 12 months ago, on 1st startup from cold, there is a pronounced "top end" noise from the engine which starts around 1800rpm and then gets louder throught he rev range until approx 2300rpm. It eventually lessens as the car warms but is still audible when you put a load on the car at this rev range when accelerating. I,ve done approx 10k since last year and this noise has always been there.I would liken it to a heavy "diesel knock"

I,ve heard horror stoies about a build up of carbon at the top of the cylinders which eventually leads to engine failure.

I know its difficult to diagnose without hearing the noise but Does anyone have any ideas if this noise could be related to the warning lights coming on.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted. This is our 3rd RAV and ive never had any problems before with any of the cars.

Take it to a dealer and explain all the symptoms. They are currently in the process of reworking any engines that coke up by fitting revised pistons and rings etc. :thumbsup:

Labour the point that you always buy RAVs.

• Like 1

weeeellll, I've seen something similar with very gentle braking and when the fault codes were read out (can be displayed on the inst pack), it was complaining about decel from wheelspeed and yaw/accel sensor not matching and also the brake pedal switch, so it may not be engine related at all in this case. Just a thought. :thumbsup:

weeeellll, I've seen something similar with very gentle braking and when the fault codes were read out (can be displayed on the inst pack), it was complaining about decel from wheelspeed and yaw/accel sensor not matching and also the brake pedal switch, so it may not be engine related at all in this case. Just a thought. :thumbsup:

On yours?

On yours?

Hmmm,Then as you say it could be a sensor related issue. By any chance, did it indicate which sensor it was?

When the car is switched off and then restarted, the lights are cleared. I,ll definitely book it into my local Toyota dealer which is only a couple of miles away and see what they say. It was gentle braking as i was only travelling at around 10mph.

Anchorman, re empahsising that i always have a RAV isnt a problem as my wife wont drive anything else. She loves the car to bits, it was superb throughout the atrocious weather that we had in Northern Ireland at the end of last year so the car is staying. Thanks again.

On yours?

Yep, did it once on the first 4.3. I'm probably way off the mark, but if you don't get the full set of warnings, just ABS and VSC ones, then I'm inclined to think it is not engine related.

Pure speculation, but I just wonder whether with very gentle braking, there is very little output change from the accel sensor under the seat. So, the fact that the wheelspeed sensors will show decel and the yaw/accel isn't, it is getting upset.

Alternatively the pedal switch is dithering under very light pressure (although the s/w should cope and debounce/filter that) and it is getting upset. Or the switch is wearing prematurely (all that extra vibration from the pedal due to brake pad depositing :P :rolleyes:).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links