Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear Grinding & Transmission Oil

Naito Chan

Hello

I've recently bought a MR2 MK2 97 mod which had its engine, transmission and clutch overhauled. It runs great but there are something that doens't feel right.. I've never had MR2 before so it really helps with some tips from experienced owner ;) So here are some n00b Qs

First off whenever I upshifting or downshifting to the 2nd gear, it makes grinding noise.. The funny thing is that it ONLY HAPPENS when I'm fast shifting.. If I put it in neutral and wait 2-3 seconds before putting it into 2nd, it goes perfectly without any glitch.. (I do double clutching and toe heel shifting ;)) Anyone having clues about what the problem is? I've googled around and read a lot in different forums but doesn't fine anything that makes sense.. Could it be low transmission oil? Which I hope really is because it would suck to put expensive repair even after it just had overhauling.. (Btw the clutch pedal's all the way to the floor.. and it happens whether the engine's cold or hot.. again.. only in 2nd gear.. the rest works fine fast-shifting)

2. I'm wondering whether I should replace the spark plugs because the car sounds like having a bit hard time starting up. Also when I push the gas pedal to the floor with 5th gear and under 3k RPM, it doesn't produce any power.. but it works fine over 3k RPM.. Also in other gears.. I couldn't feel the acceleration power unless the car's reved above 3k RPM. So the engine's power range is within 4k-7k?

Right now since I'm having trouble shifting to 2nd gear.. I mostly jump shift from 1st to 3rd.. and of course the RPM would drop down to below 3k which's why I wonder about the power within the lower RPM range.

3. I wonder how people usually drive their MR2.. I mean.. I hardly use 5th gear unless I'm in a highway and running on 100km/h.. or else I can run on 3rd gear on 60km-80km/h with RPM near or below 3k. Is that normal? If I'm right it's the gear ratio thingy? Because my Del Sol wouldn't go like that :x (Oh I'm not trying to compare these 2 cars but just wonder coz I'm new to MR2. Would like to learn more about this car because it simply rocks :D)

Appreciate :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links