1000's Of Toyota Cars For Sale
    • Get Your Club Gear!
      Get Your Club Gear!
    • Review Your Toyota
      Review Your Toyota
    • Save Up To 15% Off For Members
      Save Up To 15% Off For Members

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dooley*

Reverse Gear Problem. Celica 140

1 post in this topic

Hi all, I have owned a 2002 Toyota Celica VVTi 140 for the past 5 years and noticed that the reverse gear is progressively more difficult to engage. When I first bought the car it was difficult to not pull off at lights in reverse as it was a little too easy to find. Now however, selection of reverse involves a bizzare wrist flicking manoeuvre to avoid crunching it in. The other gears are not a problem (although high speed downshifting has always been a bit hit and miss), there is plenty of brake fluid in the reservoir (I assume its shared with the clutch).

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I would be very appreciative of any advise anyone might have.

Regards Mark

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By avens
      Looking to retrofit cruise control for my Toyota Avensis T25 2,0 with engine code 1AZ-FSE.
      I've searched around the internet, and as far as i can see, i only need to install the CC switch/arm, but i must be missing something. Is it really this simple? I find it a bit unrealistic that the factory didn't include the switch if that is the only thing missing.
      Any answers would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    • By peterpiper
      Yaris 04, erratic idle / rough idle / variable idle / hunting.
      Also occasional sudden loss of power when driving, not sure if these are connected. 
      Idling issue usually happens from when car is first started. The inlet air (throttle?) valve actuator lever, from vacuum actuated diaphram, can be seen moving as revs change.
      If the vacuum pipe is either pinched shut or taken off, then the engine idles correctly. When vacuum reconnected, idle usually stays OK, but after revving the problem comes back. Shown here: VIDEO
      After power loss, no acceleration and only 5mph on the flat. So pull over, switch off and wait a minute, then restarts normally.
      I've found quite a few posts with bits of information, so have included links to them.

The power loss had been gradually getting more frequent, over last two or three years. Sometimes happening up to 3 or 4 times an hour, but usually no problem on short journeys. First thought it was a fuel supply issue, as new fuel filter would "fix" it for a while, but becomming more frequent 
      and since last change it only lasted 2 months.
      Then checked fuel pick up filter in tank. This coubik nylon 'teabag' filter was black, and when assembly was lifted out from top of tank, the residual fuel in pick up pipe only drained out slowly. See d4d cutting out
      Removed filter bag and cleaned out with powerwash then dried with compressed air. Now can see light through the filter. - No improvement. 
      Air getting into fuel line was suggested as possible cause, but in that case I would have expected restarting to take a while while any air was purged.
      Various forums suggested problems with carbon build up in EGR valve or the air intake (throttle?) valve, with the diaphram that operates either of these having an air leak, or with either of 
      the two VSVs (vacuum switching/solenoid  valve or vacuum control solenoid).
      Both diaphrams checked out OK. Diaphram test
      The VSVs both held vacuum, but passed it when 12V applied so looked OK (though not a conclusive test as in use, a variable voltage is used, not just on/off). VSV test
      EGR had fair carbon build up, but 80% still clear, and the valve could turn freely. Cleaned - no change. See: EGR Cleaning
      Made and fitted an EGR blanking plate Making a blanking plate (as suggested to another owner by a Toyata mechanic) - still no change. 
      Then checked the air intake valve assembly. Eratic Idle - Clean air valve  I found the smaller air channel was completely blocked. There are two airways from this casting into the engine, make sure both are clear. In my 
      case the main air channel (about 45mm diameter) had 5mm of carbon build up, only when scraping this out did the second chanel (about 12mm) become visible.
      Question: What's the second small air channel for? I guess the largeer channel is air to the cylinders.
      This must have helped?? - but still an erratic idle.

So then swapped over the two VSVs (as EGR blanking plate was still fitted, the EGR VSV isn't doing much).  
      Started up, but engine limiting at 3000rpm. Switched off, then wouldn't restart, wait a minute then restarts but revs still limited --much like the power loss problem??
      Reseated VSV connectors, and pushed vacuum pipes further on. Retry, now OK, full revs and NO erratic idle!
      Now managed a 100 mile round trip, 1hr20 each way with no problem.
      If problem stays gone I'll try to get a replacement VSV, Denso part no. 25819-33010, New is around £300, so will get used. Sometimes on eBay around £25-40, but nearby breakers will charge around £10+. Only downside is the age of the replacement.
      This post says 25819-33030 was successfully used instead. I think that was used on the later Yaris, so might be available newer.
      Having seen the amount of deposits built up, which will probably also be found around the turbo vanes, the occasional use of a fuel system cleaner seems like a good idea. Some claim to also clean post combustion chamber. Turbo Cleaners I'll maybe start using Archoil AR6400-D at every regular service, though the PDF suggest every 5,000 mile.
    • By SHSHAH21
      Hi I use to have a 2008 Aygo and now i have a 2016 Toyota Aygo 2016. In the 2008 Aygo i had front door pocket speakers and rear door pocket speakers and i though the balance was okay and sounded okay. In my 2016 Toyota Aygo i ended up with two speakers in the dash and two in the front door pocket.Nothing in the rear and the audio felt lacking. I've installed a custom set up using a JBL Gx-a602 amp and two 6x9 pioneer speakers in a custom parcel shelf in the boot. now the sound seems unbalanced like all the sound is coming from the back and the front 4 sounds like its producing nothing. would i be better off replacing all the front speakers and if so what size would fit in a 2016 Toyota Aygo dash and front door or would i be better off fiddling with the amp to try and balance the speakers out. the amp is placed where a spare wheel should be if anyone was wondering.

• By Alexandru Edward
      Hello everyone. First of all, sorry for my bad English, I'm from Romania. I have a problem with my Avensis III facelift from 2013. 
      A strange noise was coming from transmission belt area. I thought it may be only the belt, so i changed it. 
      The sound before I changed it: 
      The sound after change: 
      At the dealership, they told me that the belt was the problem and I need a new one. It seems like not the belt was the problem. Maybe it's the tensioner? the alternator pulley? I don't know.
      Now they think maybe and most likely, it's the tensioner or the alternator pulley. But I don't want to change them both and the sound may be still present.
      I watched all the pulleys with the engine running, they seems to run normal.
      The souns only appears when I'm in the 3rd or 4th gear and the rpm are pretty low, like 1200 or 1300 and I rev it hard.
      Thanks a lot !
    • By AndrejL
      Hi guys, 
      I am new to the forum so HI to everyone. I've found the forum to be a great source of information in the past and would like to find out if anyone can help with this issue.
      My Toyota Auris 2007 1.6L petrol, gave me an engine management light warning ('Check Engine' on the dash) while driving back home after a hot day on the beach. I didn't notice any issue with the engine apart from a little judder when the light came on. No leaks, smoke, noise or anything else. I completed my journey with no problems and was thinking what to do with the car. The light stayed on for about a week and then the fault disappeared. Before it went, I managed to check the fault code which gave me the following fault: P0335 - Crankshaft position sensor A circuit malfunction'. After about two weeks, while driving I felt a judder and the management light came on again. This time the judder is more noticeable. I took the car for a ride on the motorway 70mph/3-4 gear to burn it out as advised by a friend (in case it is one of the sensors in exhaust) but so far the light is still on. And the judder seems to be more noticeable when the engine gets warm. I am wondering whether anyone else had a similar experience and would be kind enough to share it with me. I am a bit reluctant to take the car to the garage as I was told this fault code could be caused by several issues. 
      I drove the car again today with no problem. If I am sensible the car runs fine. When the engine gets hot and I try to trash it a little bit the judder comes back. 
      I would be grateful for any advice. 
      Many thanks 
      Andrej