Toyota Owners Club - Toyota Forum Messages

Review Your Toyota

Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours, review your Toyota now

In Memory

Les "Giddlepin" Ackroyd - 1951 to 2016  - A well missed friend to everyone. 

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dooley*

Reverse Gear Problem. Celica 140

1 post in this topic

Hi all, I have owned a 2002 Toyota Celica VVTi 140 for the past 5 years and noticed that the reverse gear is progressively more difficult to engage. When I first bought the car it was difficult to not pull off at lights in reverse as it was a little too easy to find. Now however, selection of reverse involves a bizzare wrist flicking manoeuvre to avoid crunching it in. The other gears are not a problem (although high speed downshifting has always been a bit hit and miss), there is plenty of brake fluid in the reservoir (I assume its shared with the clutch).

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I would be very appreciative of any advise anyone might have.

Regards Mark

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By AndrejL
      Hi guys, 
      I am new to the forum so HI to everyone. I've found the forum to be a great source of information in the past and would like to find out if anyone can help with this issue.
      My Toyota Auris 2007 1.6L petrol, gave me an engine management light warning ('Check Engine' on the dash) while driving back home after a hot day on the beach. I didn't notice any issue with the engine apart from a little judder when the light came on. No leaks, smoke, noise or anything else. I completed my journey with no problems and was thinking what to do with the car. The light stayed on for about a week and then the fault disappeared. Before it went, I managed to check the fault code which gave me the following fault: P0335 - Crankshaft position sensor A circuit malfunction'. After about two weeks, while driving I felt a judder and the management light came on again. This time the judder is more noticeable. I took the car for a ride on the motorway 70mph/3-4 gear to burn it out as advised by a friend (in case it is one of the sensors in exhaust) but so far the light is still on. And the judder seems to be more noticeable when the engine gets warm. I am wondering whether anyone else had a similar experience and would be kind enough to share it with me. I am a bit reluctant to take the car to the garage as I was told this fault code could be caused by several issues. 
      I drove the car again today with no problem. If I am sensible the car runs fine. When the engine gets hot and I try to trash it a little bit the judder comes back. 
      I would be grateful for any advice. 
      Many thanks 
      Andrej 

• By RhodyM20
      Hello everyone,
      I am a new member from the US. Longtime classic BMW owner who has stumbled upon a 1981 Toyota Hiace in the USA. It was imported from Panama by a member of the military. I am considering buying it but have a concern: the seller claims the throttle is stuck open, and he does not know what causes it. He has not driven it since this condition developed.
      Due to the rural location of the seller, a pre-inspection is not possible (and he is located several states away from me). The Hiace has the 2.2L diesel "L" engine and I am trying to determine what my potential for any damage might be due to the stuck throttle issue. Even if the seller turned the van off right away, I'm concerned about the potential for internal engine issues.
      What do you think? Are there any major risks with this engine or is it fairly durable? Thanks for any advice.
      Cheers,
      Jeff
    • By ingm80
      well here goes. i have had my avensis t22 1.8 petrol for about a year and all i have done to it is basic servicing. i have done about 10,000 miles
      the car has been in Spain for years to rust free but in boiling sun all day
      recently it has become difficult to start, eventually it refused point blank to start, i assumed it was the starter but i wasnt convinced as there was no clik
      checked the starter motor and found plastic gears in the bottom were broken, bit where cogs run round it, so replaced.
      still woudn't start, (thought it was ignition switch) so i thought best to put the starter on a switch, so did that by taking the smaller wire from the starter (one that isnt bolted on) and ran it through a switch (with a fuse) to the battery and hey presto it works, great i thought an old car going to leave it like that. BUT when i went for a test drive the brake pedal feels strange as though there is no servo assist.  could i have blown a fuse on servo or maybe so ABS?
      Does anyone know where the fuse is for this? abs, servo?
      Right so this led me to think i am going to have to replace the ignition switch so i have bought part number 84450-02010 in the hope that the brakes will feel normal again
      Will all be well when i get this part?
      Also of course i had the battery un plugged and the air box un plugged (plugged the wire in on the back) and it is like the car is revving too high or maybe it is just me?
      Shame as the car has been super reliable

• By jamsterc
      Rare UK manual model with low mileage (123K) for its age (1996).
      Mechanically sound - a great and reliable runner, superb for eating up the miles on the motorways. Comes with 5 spoke alloys, power steering, electric windows and mirrors, CD player, ABS, front fog lamps, driver-adjustable headlamps and leather upholstery, which is showing signs of wear on the driver's side.
      Power hood is a little tatty but still goes up and down. Apart from that it's all in VGC.  Includes tonneau cover for hood when down.
      A beautiful classic convertible - get cruising this summer!
      £1500.
      Email me direct for more info on
      jamsterc@hotmail.com

• By candie69
      im having a problem with my iq2 . i got a button next to the gearbox that doesnt do anything , i believe its the traction control but unsure . when i turn on the ignition the traction light comes on and goes off but when i press the button nothing is happening atall . it does illuminiate when my headlights are on and thats about it . when i went to take out the switch to clean it i noticed a few other wires not connected to anything atall? i was wondering what these wires are for and how i go about fixing my traction control button or if i can test the wiring by using a wire to create a circiut to make sure the switch is faulty and then the light should come on , on the dash . 

please help me . pics are attached 
      thankyou