Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lsd

Chris Barnes

Right...help...i work at Toyota and i've explored every angle of this....does to 03 model up have LSD......i cant find it in the manuals i cant find evidence of it with the car on the ramp...help meeeeee

chris

easiest way to check is pour some water on the ground and see if both wheels start spinning when u burn out!! :lol: haha... :crybaby: i could only do one wheel burnouts.....

easiest way to check is pour some water on the ground and see if both wheels start spinning when u burn out!!  haha...  i could only do one wheel burnouts.....

I take it with LSD then both wheels should spin?

I have a UK mk2 rev5, the manual says that has LSD...

...but I did the test when I had the car jacked up of turning one rear wheel - and the other turned the opposite way. meaning that I don't have LSD (apparently both wheels should turn the same way if you have LSD) - thing is, I did this with the car in gear, as the LSD is in the gearbox I'd have assumed that the test must be done in gear... But I've asked around, and apparently the test should be done in neutral - I'm sure I tried this too though, and the other wheel didn't move at all.

So, does the UK mk2 rev5 have LSD?

and, what's the exact test you can do?

(I've also heard that the rev5 has an electronic LSD so can't be tested in this way)

Come on you clever people...:)

From the press pack...

HANDLING

VSC (Vehicle Stability Control), TRC (Traction Control) and BA (Brake Assist) are fitted as standard on the MR2 Roadster with SMT. These active safety systems provide a wider safety margin without diluting MR2 Roadster’s qualities as a great handling car.

The Torsen Limited-Slip Differential (LSD) is available as standard equipment on both versions. Although often unnoticed, the LSD is a valuable aid in extracting all the performance from the 1.8-litre VVT-i engine as it provides extra traction by continuously transferring torque to the wheel with more grip, without losing engine speed.

I did the test when I had the car jacked up of turning one rear wheel - and the other turned the opposite way. meaning that I don't have LSD (apparently both wheels should turn the same way if you have LSD)

I don't know why but the above test DOESN'T always work....you will have an lsd, video record yaself doing a burn out ;)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

From the press pack...

HANDLING

VSC (Vehicle Stability Control), TRC (Traction Control) and BA (Brake Assist) are fitted as standard on the MR2 Roadster

I'm sure all this lot were added to the facelifted (2002+ ?) mk3 MR2, and not the pre-facelift version (1999 - 2002?).

Thanks guys.....theydont have LSD...and they dont have VSC either....some non UK ones may.. Wish i had a MR2 anyway

Sorry, but they DO have a LSD - both manual and sequential tranmission. Only sequential has VSC.

Scott

Sorry, but they DO have a LSD - both manual and sequential tranmission. Only sequential has VSC.

Scott

any idea if the yaris t-sport has somat similar ive got a very sneaky feeling theres somat there as its far too easy to get both wheels to spin, on 17x205s, in the dry, on tarmac!

Naaa.. its different for FWD Rob...

Plus, a LSD really only has its effects on cornering, so if you have full lock, floor it and both front wheels spin equally, then it has a LSD, otherwise the 'inner' wheel would just pour off smoke..

yeah thats what i was thinking! i just does VERY well to break tracksion on two wheels! its unheard of on a FWD with so little power!

tis a beast unleashed!

Just to save on confusion here, this is the definitive answer:

All UK and European market mk3's have LSD, and have had as standard since launch. Toyota only started shouting about it with the recent launch of the facelifted version.

USA market cars have never had it, but it is now being offered as an option for the 2004 model year.

Japan market cars had it as an optional extra, except with the possibility of the higher spec cars, which may have had as standard, I'm not sure about that one...

Hope this helps...

I looked in all the Technical data manuals at work and they dont have LSD....the gear box has all the same numbers as the Celica box ableit slight differences for the linkage cables....we have absolutly no literature avilable to us, be it a Vehicle brochure or Toyota dealer internet.........this is bugging my now because so many people have told me they have LSD....

Thanks for helping guys

Take a look at the workshop manuals, which detail a complete strip down of the gearbox.

Also, my gearbox was recently changed under warranty, and the dealer phoned me up to ask if it had LSD or not, so I dont think its an uncommon misunderstanding...

Sorry Chris, don't mean to get OTT about this, but at what point don't you get it - MR2 has an LSD as standard. Our press material is triple checked. Now, that doesn't mean it is unarguable, but I have asked since you started this thread and been assured that yes, UK market MR2 has a LSD. I hope this reduces your bugging.

Scott

well he did just say that the tech material didnt say owt about the lsd...

but lets just take it for granted that the uk get's lsd...

now can we all be friends :group-cuddles:

-Z

Hey guys, just at work now....LSD is not fitted to the MR2 British version....thats what they told me, so dont shout at me please, i so bad wanted to be wrong so the prat with the MGF would be wrong too (i hate MGF's)

Sorry....really!!! :cacker:

Chris, don't know where you work or what they told you but they are wrong. I work for Toyota - the real Toyota - and have checked three times this week - UK spec MR2 has LSD as standard.

Check the product bulletin, not the technical manual (that will say optional since that is factory spec, but we have all UK orders built with LSD). It is not shown as an option to customers since you can't order one without. This is standard motor industry practice. For example, when I worked at BMW, RHD was technically an option, but no customer or dealer ever had to tick the box to get it.

I am only worried that this message will mislead others.

I suggest you PM or e-mail me.

Cheers,

Scott

I am only worried that this message will mislead others.

I suggest you PM or e-mail me.

looks like PR's are caring people do actually do some work :D, and not just a hot chick in a skirt... reminds me of 2day... damn i LOVE summer B)

-Z

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links