• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • First Name:Jon
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Rav4 2.2 D4-D
  • Year: 2007

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

Hi All,

I've been having a problem with my 2007 Rav4 2.2 D4-D (no dcat) for about 6 months now, where on long journeys I lose coolant.  I'll lose nothing on my day-to-day commute to work (10 miles, 30 minutes each way). However if I don't check it for a couple of weeks I'll find that I've lost a small amount.

On longer journeys I can lose a lot.  i.e. a 100 mile trip a couple of months ago I lost about half the tank each way, and over 440 miles this weekend I put almost 1.5 litres into the tank to keep it around where the word Full is. (I had stopped half way home and had to wait a little while for the engine to cool down a bit, the coolant was at about 1/2 way, topped it up, drove another 100 miles home and the next morning the coolant was below 'Low').

There doesn't appear to be any water in the oil / oil in the water, there's no smoke from my exhaust that I can see and not really any oil consumption that I can notice, so I don't think that it's due to the fault mentioned on the forum requiring a rebuild.

The car went for a Service with Toyota who told me that I was losing coolant from the water pump (I hadn't checked the levels before it went in).  I've had the water pump replaced by a local garage as I couldn't afford Toyota's engine out price for this.  I have also had the Thermostat and Radiator cap replaced, as the local garage found that excess pressure was building up in the header tank.

It does seem that the pressure is lower since the thermostat and cap have been replaced, however it does seem that coolant is blowing out of the header tank.

Sorry about the essay, but wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what else could be at fault?

Thanks,

Jon.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 blackcts

blackcts

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Toyota Model: E12 T-Sport 190

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

Hate to say it but the fact that coolant is blowing out of the header tank my money would be on the dreaded head gasket fault!

#3 Awebb180

Awebb180

Advanced Club Member

• TOC Supporter
  • 302 posts
  • Toyota Model: Auris sr180

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hate to say it but the fact that coolant is blowing out of the header tank my money would be on the dreaded head gasket fault!

take it into your local dealer and get them to do a pressure test on the engine 

Alex

#4 uniquestar

uniquestar

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thanks, I thought it might be, but had none of the other symptoms, such as oil consumption being a bit high (not losing any that I can see).  I don't mind if it's the same fault as covered under the warranty as I'll talk with my local Toyota Dealer to get it done under that.

Just after a bit of info from anyone as to if it could be covered even though I'm not eating oil

#5 Doosan

Doosan

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • First Name:Dave
  • Toyota Model: Rav 4 XT3 4D4 2.2Diesel ( New 3/4 Engine 2011) Pulling a Bailey S6 Champagne

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Hi Jon, I had the same problem 2 years ago. I found if I left the car over night and came out the next morning it still had pressure in the header tank that smelt of engine gases. The out come was a 3/4 replacement engine. Also I had the clutch replaced at the same time while the engine was out, and only cost me £350 for the clutch parts.

Good luck.

Dave

#6 uniquestar

uniquestar

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

Thanks Dave,

Just a quick question, did you see any oil loss / white smoke as mentioned in the main topic on this, or was your only symptom the coolant loss too?

#7 Doosan

Doosan

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Toyota Model: Rav 4 XT3 4D4 2.2Diesel ( New 3/4 Engine 2011) Pulling a Bailey S6 Champagne

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Thanks Dave,

Just a quick question, did you see any oil loss / white smoke as mentioned in the main topic on this, or was your only symptom the coolant loss too?

Jon, all I had was coolant blowing out of the over flow nozzle. No white smoke or oil loss. I must say my dealer done a head gasket replacement first, then 2 weeks later called my car back in to do the engine. I understand that they were told off for replacing the gasket and not doing the engine right away. Apparently they shouldn't do any repairs to the engine, just take it out and it goes back to Toyota whole.   

#8 uniquestar

uniquestar

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Dave,

I'll give them a call and get it booked in.  Is all you paid the £350 for the clutch assembly, everything else under the extended warranty?

#9 Doosan

Doosan

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Dave,

I'll give them a call and get it booked in.  Is all you paid the £350 for the clutch assembly, everything else under the extended warranty?

Yes, the clutch was fitted while the engine is out as they have to take it off anyway. If you don't do it, it will cost about £1,800.00 I think.

#10 mike xt-r

mike xt-r

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Toyota Model: Rav4 xt-r 2.2d

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hi, I've got the exact same problem with my Rav 07 36000miles ftsh. my worry is what are the dealers like with this, am I going to have to fight for a new engine or are they good at accepting that the engine is the cause? Thanks Mike.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coolant loss, header tank, coolant, gasket, water pump, thermostat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users