Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intelligent Park Assist

Shugster

Had my Auris 3 weeks now and finally plucked up courage to try this parking aid.

Nice quiet road, fairly comfortable space, lets give it a go.

Surprise, surprise it was a dawdle.

Instructions clear and concise and it controlled steering.

Result, parked perfectly.

Had my Auris 3 weeks now and finally plucked up courage to try this parking aid.

Nice quiet road, fairly comfortable space, lets give it a go.

Surprise, surprise it was a dawdle.

Instructions clear and concise and it controlled steering.

Result, parked perfectly.

Not surprised at all to hear it was a Dawdle :wheelchair: :P

Now a Doddle to use, that would be a nice surprise, I didn't think Toyota (or whoever they buy that technology from) could design an intuitive interface! :yes:

I still haven't plucked up the courage to try it on mine!

Tried it the other week on a very tight space. The car seemed sure it could get in, but I 'chickened out' as I was far from certain I could get out again.

I tried mine after not reading the instructions and nearly reversed into a garden wall

Is the new Auris version improved from earlier ones? The Gen3 Prius one is a nice novelty - I've had two perfect results - once reversing in and once parallel parking - but also several aborted efforts where I haven't managed to persuade it to go into the space I wanted. As is well-documented elsewhere, it can also take rather a lot of screen-prodding and wheel-whirling to get it started which means it's invariably quicker to do it yourself even if you then need a bit of back-and-forthing to get in.

As someone who squeezes an Auris and a Prius into a 1970s 'double' garage, I don't think I fancy its chances much for my daily 'precision parking' effort. I'll stick to using the mirrors, a couple of suspended dog-toys and a short prayer...

11-1.jpg

Wont do reverse parking (AFAIK?), but it sounds familiar to what you said "it can also take rather a lot of screen-prodding and wheel-whirling to get it started which means" ... which is why i have never used it (dont want to hold up the traffic behind me).

It will beep at you and then do a long beep when it wants you to alternate between reverse and forward (which is where i went wrong as i thought it might figure out where the curb was)

So my guess is its the exact same one as the Prius... in fact from what i seen so far it seems the Auris hybrid is just an Auris with prius parts.

I tend to use the reverse camera more than anything else these days.

P.S. Love the suspended dog toy

After two years of trying I did finally get the self parking to work recently when I had time to spare and no-one else was around. Every other time I tried it has failed for some reason. It even reckons that my garage is too narrow to get in - something I've been managing for five years now!

Tried the self park once and it was to time consuming. If you do not get it right you risk damage to your car or somone elses. I am afraid it is a "toy" I am not confident in using. You will not find many Toyota salesmen willing to demonstrate it!!

I agree with Dasbob, the new Auris is not recorded in the manual as doing automatic reverse parking and for the Excel, with camera and sensors, I don't think it is needed. For the first few times it does help if you have nobody champing at the bit to pass as this will invite problems. The biggest difficulty I had was letting the car get on with it, as any attempt to interfere by touching the steering wheel WILL abort the process.

I've never needed to touch the screen, just position parallel(using indicators if offside parking), press the button, and follow the instructions. If you are having problems, have you checked whether the 'recalibration' was set up correctly. You normally have to do this the first time you use the system, but it may have been set up by the garage.

Maybe the new Auris is a different system then, as the Prius has an on-screen button to switch between reverse parking and parallel parking which is referred to in the manual. Doesn't sound like it's improved any in its execution though!

Auris does not do reverse parking or have input on screen.

Checked manual again and no mention of this.

I was sure I read somewhere that it also helped you out of spaces but no mention of that either.

Still it was simple to use for parallel parking. Steering wheel turns much quicker than I could do manually.

Just checked and the auris is a "SIPA" Simple Intelligent Parking, it uses the "disp" only and not the touch and go display thing... as seen here

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links