Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1999 Freetronic Yaris - Hydraulic Clutch Pressure

plusmatt

Hi there, I was looking for some help with my Yaris.

I got the car for my 21st in April 2012 - It's my first car so it means a lot to me.

Since I had it, the car has had an issue with the clutch. If i sit at traffic lights for example in neutral, when it comes to go back into first to set off, the clutch will not budge out of neutral. After a bit of fiddling with it, it eventually decides to go into gear. I find that if it goes into any gear I can shift it into first.

Instead of having this hassle at all lights, I tend to sit in first gear with the weight of my foot on the gas just to keep it ticking over (and stop the beep).

I've done this since April 2012, but now that the Mrs has passed her test and shares the car with me she insisted I get it checked it. I was hoping it would be something and nothing.

I took it to my local mechanic and he's told me the hyrdraulics in the clutch are losing pressure, and it's becoming too low to change gear, which is why the problem is occuring. The problem now is, what can i do to fix it?

I appreciate you will want more information and i'll get some more for next time I post on here. Was just wondering if anyone else had this issue? It seems like it's going to be expensive to fix - but i'm willing to pay for it, up to the value of my car (around £400). The car is driveable so it's not an urgent matter, but it's only going to get worse if I don't fix it.

Futhermore, since I got the care i've noticed that the gears themselves are odd. I set off in 2nd gear almost always (bar a hill start), and can drive comfortably in 5th gear at 30mph... Is this normal?

Thanks for your time, I await your response and pray it's good news....

- Matt

(PS. Car is a 1 litre engine, done 130,000 (26,000 since I got it.)

I dont own an automatic and dont know about your problem.

I would like to comment on your last statement about being in 5th and doing 30mph.

I am a mpg freak, just love it when my computer tells me I am doing 60/70 + mpg. What I have found, is being in a higher gear then need be tends to use more fuel. I have a 6 speed manual and it is happy trundling along in towns at 30mph in 4th gear. However, when I go into 3rd gear, even thought he revs are slightly higher then 4th gear, the computer trip tells me I am doing more mpg. So I would be concerned doing 30mph in 5th gear, on the grounds of poor fuel consumption if nothing else. But then the gearing on a 5 speed auto may be different to my 6 speed manual.

Thanks for the welcome!

Catlover - I get the best MPG by driving in 5th at around 30mpg, did test it in 4th but 5th seems to give me a better mileage

Any reply on the first issue? Desperate to sort it.

I'm not sure there is much knowledge of the Freetronic gearbox on the forum now. The Freetronic was replaced by the Multi Mode Transmission in 2003. You could try using the search facility and searching for Freetronic, to see whether there are any similar problems highlighted in previous topics.

Did the mechanic say why the hydraulic pressure is low?

If it's anything like the manual, the clutch system draws its oil from the same reservoir as the brakes, so I'm wondering if there is a dodgy seal or the pump is just too old?

The problem is the Freetronic wasn't around for that long before it got replaced by the MMT (Which has loads of problems itself, but are mostly clutch or electronics related), so it's hard to know. I think you're the 3rd or 4th person I've seen here with a Freetronic box!

Actually, see if you can find out when the clutch was last changed; The MMT seems to becomes very hesitant when changing gears when the clutch starts to wear out and maybe the Freetronic is similar?

This probably isn't very useful advice, but personally I'd sell it and get a manual one...

"On Freetronic models, loss of automatic clutch system fluid via the accumulator seals can cause total loss of gear selection. Not monitored by warning light. New one costs £344 + fitting. Owners advised to check reservoir level regularly. People have been told the automatic actuator is faulty and it needs a new ECU costing £1,500."

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/yaris-1999/?section=good

So faulty seals seems a likelihood.. And a cheaper fix than above...

• Like 1

Aha! The all-knowing fishy does it again! :D

Didn't even think of checking HJ's... :unsure:

Aha! The all-knowing fishy does it again! :D

Didn't even think of checking HJ's... :unsure:

It's called old age:-)

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen - very informative!

I'm prepared to pay the £344+ fitting if needs be. The problem now is finding the part which is proving very elusive. If I do replace it, how many more miles do you think the car can manage before it goes again? I need another 20k for it to be worthwhile (its on 131,000 now)

Also, what is the part called, 'accumulator seals?' An eBay search finds 4 in total (none for the yaris obviously.)

Thanks again fellas.

You could try PM'ing PartsKing, he might be able to source some for you!

For Parts King, go to the Community page, scroll down to Sponsor's Corner and then Lindop Toyota.

Thanks for the help folks.

I'm still looking on eBay every day in the vain hope that there will be one knocking about. I reckon I can get till the end of my insurance (April) with it intact. It's just annoying at the moment, not a problem that seriously affects functionality.

I'll get in touch with parts king if i can, I read on another thread on here from years ago

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/127581-2004-yaris-10ltr-clutch-actuator-faulty/

that there may be a quick fix (spraying actuator arm with silicone spray) - though this particular issue is with a manual yaris.

The problem, we think, is that the seal on the actuator is knackered - meaning when the car is idle it loses pressure. Converting it to a manual gearbox is too costly, and it's super hard to find any spares or repairs freetronic yaris that has this part still in working order...

Gutted but i'll keep on looking. Thanks again for the guidance.

Well good luck mate; Let us know how you get on!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a Toyota Yaris with Freetronic. A company renovated the TFT (the pump does not stop). After installation, ECU contains error code (P1851/34 - Oil Pressure Switch Low Presure Malfunction (Open)), and we can't clear it. The company is said to have replaced 8353059015 (SWITCH ASSY, OIL PRESSURE(FOR CLUTCH ACTUATOR PUMP))... Every third case, however, only half release the clutch, pump started, after a few seconds, fully released. Probably then the gears are getting hard to change (especially take off from 3th). Perhaps the switch may be turned off at too low pressure?

Service manual at www.toyota-tech.eu contains only: "When the accumulator pressure desreases, the switch turns OFF, causing the TFT ECU to operate the pump motor. When the accumulator pressure exceeds a predetermined level, the switch turns ON, causing the pump motor to stop a few seconds later."

How much is the predetermined levels (min/max)?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links