Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg Reading On Auris 1.33

sule_95

I have a 09 Auris with 16k miles on the clock. It's the 1.33 petrol T2 version. The average MPG on it (from the reading on the display) is 27.7 MPG, which is pretty terrible for a 1.3l engine. It's not like I trash it about either, just normal everyday city driving. Any idea why it's so low?

Have you zeroed the average mpg when you filled up, or is it an average across a number of fill ups?

Filling up by less than 15 litres can give erroneous readings.

Are the tyre pressures too low?

Any of the wheels feel hot after a drive, which could indicate brake binding?

Before I retired, I used to get around 35mpg in Birmingham's heavy stop/start traffic - my home to work journey of 6.5 miles could take anything from 30 to 60 minutes.

Woah 16k miles on a 09, thats value!

I also have the 1.33 Auris and MPG can be increased, for example when my mum drives my car she gets 32.5 MPG in town stop start traffic in city and when I drive it gives me 49-54 MPG in stop start traffic. If you normally drive in gears 1,2,3 then expect 27 MPG or less. What I do is in gear 1 I drive to 10 MPH, change to second gear, change the second gear at 20 MPH and then shift straight to gear 4 until 40 MPH, at 40 MPH switch to gear 5. You will see such a change in MPG I tell you.

Also, try to have the vehicle serviced if it already has not within the last year. Change the air-filters (easy DIY job which takes literally 60 seconds) but should be done in the service. Also I found out that you should give the car a good blast some time on the motorway if you always drive in the city.

When I bought my 1.33 Auris pre reg there was only 100 miles on the clock. Average m.p.g. was 15. No doubt it had been moved from one place to another on the lot over the six months. Reset the counter and gave it a good blast and it showed mid to high 30s. In your case with that low mileage I bet it has been used for short trips to the shops etc and never been used on a long journey.

Thanks for the replys. The reason for the low mileage is that my grandad bought it a year old in '10 with 10k miles and rarely ever used it in his 4 years of ownership. Now.he's given it to me as he's not able.to drive anymore. I've just filled up to full and reset the reading

Hopefully you'll see that average MPG improve then over the next few weeks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links