Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carrying A Dog Or Dogs In An Iq

That should have been Carrying.

I have to admit I have not seen this subject on here. So, I wonder if anyone has, on a regular occasion, carried one or more dogs in their car, and did they require any 'restraining devices?' I know they should, but some dogs curl up in the foot-well and behave. We are hoping to keep our new dog used to car travel, as our older dog hates it. So, we're hoping the fact the pup will go in the car means that the older dog will feel left out and go in the car anyway.

We have been looking at those large rubber mats which are fine for the seats -with the back seats down, but not the sides, which, lets face it, will likely be scratched easily by two dogs. Appreciate any comments on this.

post-113536-0-15939800-1419282307_thumb.

post-113536-0-45325400-1419282492_thumb.

My daughter takes my chocolate lab in her IQ, he has a seat belt which slips over him and attaches to the cars seat belt so he's clipped in sitting on back seat. Safe for him and her, works well.

I only take my Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier on short rides to the park, and I know it's a definite 'No-No' but he just hops in the boot and takes cover till we arrive. I would also be interested if anyone uses a bespoke steel cage or harness which can be quickly installed.

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

Thanks for all three responses. Mike, That mat looks good, but shame they can't show one inside an iQ.

Grumpy, we've looked at the seat belt solution and think it is the way to go. Do you know if your daughters Lab can move around much on the seat when he is in the car? Although we have considered a cage, getting one that will fit -securely- into the iQ that is big enough for our English Springer Spaniel, and our mini-pooch, and can keep them separate too is another thing. One of my concerns with Murphy the Springer, is that he is very strong, and at 3+ stone, he is a clutz.

Whilst the seatbelt attached to a lead and a chest harness sounds good, I am a little worried about his claws scratching the hell out of everything, including us and the back of the seats. We all know how fragile the material is on the backs of the front seats.

So, Michael, the idea of having Murphy free in the car fills me with dread. Twice we took him to Barmouth beach (back then it was a 70+ mile one way trip) when it was the season where dogs are allowed on it. Each time he looked very worried and hardly settled. Once he was there however he absolutely loved it. He was loose in the back for his first trip, in our Mondeo, the second time we had a dog guard up. At least he would travel in the car then. Soon after finances got very short and we couldn't go out anywhere unless it was shopping, and I don't call that fun. So, he kind of got out of the habit of car travel.

I'm sure over the next few months something will work out and we can try and take the worst car travelling dog ever in the car.

I would say for safety (for both dog and people) the dog should be secured. If you hit something you don't want poor pooch flying over your head or between the front seat and going through the windscreen. I would suggest a cover like Frosty has said with the rear seats folded flat, add some custom poppers to secure the sides of it to where the rear shelf/cover would fasten. Also use a harness and the two securing rings/tie down anchors/child seat fixings in the back that hide under two removable covers and connect the harness with a short lead.

Harry the lab can stand up and lie down but is quite restricted whilst clipped to seat belt. She puts a heavy duty water proof cover over seats before he gets in which protects seats against his claws and water when he's been down beach.

I would say for safety (for both dog and people) the dog should be secured. If you hit something you don't want poor pooch flying over your head or between the front seat and going through the windscreen. I would suggest a cover like Frosty has said with the rear seats folded flat, add some custom poppers to secure the sides of it to where the rear shelf/cover would fasten. Also use a harness and the two securing rings/tie down anchors/child seat fixings in the back that hide under two removable covers and connect the harness with a short lead.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking Mark. When I thought about how I could stop claws scratching the rear inside plastic panels, it was the 'home-made' route I was going to take and get some poppers fitted to something sturdy, claw proof. My other concern was the gap between the front seats and how high up the rear 'deck' is in the iQ -when the seats are folded for space. I'm sure with the suggestions posted here, and maybe more to come, something will be 'just-the-job.' Cheers :pepsi:

Harry the lab can stand up and lie down but is quite restricted whilst clipped to seat belt. She puts a heavy duty water proof cover over seats before he gets in which protects seats against his claws and water when he's been down beach.

Thanks, I appreciate the information. That's what I was hoping, that he can sit and lie down without issue. I think the waterproof cover is an especially good idea, liquids would not go too well with the iQ's interior. Thanks for the help.

I have transported a massive greyhound in the back of my IQ quite happily. I fitted him with a chest harness (inexpensive on eBay) and tethered it to one of the child seat hooks by the back door. Sat him on a big quilt and all was fine. He mostly preferred to look over my shoulder whilst I was driving but would otherwise lie down and steam up the back window with dog breath. Oh yes, both rear seats were down - default condition in the IQ

I have transported a massive greyhound in the back of my IQ quite happily. I fitted him with a chest harness (inexpensive on eBay) and tethered it to one of the child seat hooks by the back door. Sat him on a big quilt and all was fine. He mostly preferred to look over my shoulder whilst I was driving but would otherwise lie down and steam up the back window with dog breath. Oh yes, both rear seats were down - default condition in the IQ

Thanks for that input Paul. I never expected someone to have carried such a big dog in an iQ, but nice to hear the dog was well behaved. Seats down in the back is our default setting too.

We -as in the Royal we, which usually means my wife- bought a small dog cage for transporting the pup around. We have already had her inside it and she was very good, not worried about it at all. Of course, the real test comes when we take her to the vets on Friday for her first Jab. She is fine being held, but we realise that is not really safe, and wanted to have her secure in the car. We can use the aforementioned seat hooks to restrain the cage from moving too much in the car. In early January we will also be taking her to puppy training classes, which is really about training us, not the pooch.

Our Springer has still to accept the pup, as he keeps growling and barking at her. Still, I'm not surprised as she seems to be suicidal by jumping up at his face trying to nip him. We're working on it and things are slowly getting better. Early days yet.

We have bought a 'Dog It Two Door Wire Home,' as in the example below. Ours is smaller to fit the pup, and it's black. It was made use of today when we took her for her first immunisation jab and a health check. She whined for about five miles then settled down. I think that is due to her being a little more used to the carrier than if we surprised her with it. She was very brave at the vets, when they stuck that needle in her she didn't yelp or react in a bad way. The bungee cords secured the carrier using the available 'hooking points.' It rattles a little bit, but I think placing it on a thick towel next time will reduce that somewhat.

This is only going to last until we have the car sorted to move her around with a seatbelt chest harness. She needs to grow some before that.

post-113536-0-84132100-1420230320_thumb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links