Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Passenger Seat Airbag Fault. Help?

Jason.Wilband

Help please!?

My car is a 2002 1.4 T3 corolla and has just failed the MOT!

The guys at my local toyota dealership said that i need a new passenger seat airbag as there is a fault lamp on the dash. They said i need to replace the seat because you cannot just replace the bag resulting in £1000+ bill!

My question is could i just got find a similar corolla at a breakers and buy a second hand passenger seat? Would it be a plug and play sort of job wiping the fault or is there more to it?

Any advise would be great!!!

Jason

Changing the seat will probably only need a fault code reset, assuming it's a like-for-like swap. You could probably swap the actual airbag inside the seat if, for example, you find a similar seat but with different fabric colour or something. Bear in mind the seatbelt warning sensor will probably be in the seat wiring too.

Ah didnt think about the seat belt. yeah planning on a like for like seat if i can find one......

like most people want to get it through the MOT cheap as possible and the only way i can think of doing this is buying a second hand chair. Dont want to spend time and money doing this and finding the warning light still on and having the scrap the car.

Thanks for the response

Sounds an expensive repair.

If changing the seat yourself, according to the book, you must first disconnect the negative of the Battery, wait 5 mins before disconnecting anything , otherwise you could set off the airbag or damage something.

Looking at a manual it does show the passengers seat Airbag Sensor Assembly Centre as a replaceable part.

Think I would be tempted to see if I could find a good auto electrican, its something they might be able to check out and /or replace a lot cheaper ? or possibly find its just a broken wire or connector.

Still, if you can pick up a good complete seat for a few pounds and it works ok... fingers crossed !

I don't know about the Corolla specifically, but a lot of cars can suffer airbag warning lights if the connection under the seat has been knocked. It's often just a case of remaking the connection. Actual failure of the airbag module itself is usually very rare.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links