Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking To Buy A Corolla E12/e120. Advice And Thoughts

k4b

Hello folks

I am a new member here, looking to sell my VW Golf MK5 and get a Toyota Corolla. I have had the Golf now for coming up to a year after wanting one for a while, and to be honest I am not too impressed with it from a reliability or a build quality perspective. After speaking to my mechanic and a few friends who know about cars, they suggested that a Corolla sounds like a good fit.

So I am looking at getting one of the late models (2005-2006) 5 door and research says that this is the e12/e120. My mileage is generally less than 10,000 so higher mileage is not too much of an issues. The questions I have are:

What are the differences between the E11/E110 and the E12/E120 UK spec?. I have tried to find a comprehensive list but with all the different country variants that pop up when searching google, it’s not easy to fin.

What are specific Corolla things to look out for to make sure it’s been looked after.

What are the order of models in terms of least to most specced? It looks like the T-Spirit is the best, but then not sure what comes next.

How have you found the reliability in general? I realise that it will likely be a 9-10 year old car, but as long as it’s better than the Golf, I’ll be happy.

Thanks for reading.

K4b

Have to laugh as I have been thinking of looking at a Golf in place of my corolla.

Mind thats more the later Mk6 or Mk7s, which are said to be a lot more of a comfortable ride.

As for the corrolla, 2005/6 or early 07 its the E12 post facelift model, usually avaiable as a 1.4 or 1.6 petrol and diesels in t2,t3, tspirit ,SR models plus a very popular 'colour collection' which was similar to the t3 spec but at a lower price.

Tsprits pricier and not as common, SR, flashier body kit but thats about all, expcept its more likey to have been 'boy racer'd'

Also a 1.8 Tsports version but you need deep pockets to keep that running

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/toyota/corolla/hatchback-2002/

My 1.6 CC has done 83k and apart from bog standard service items nothings gone wrong, though am looking at getting the clutch replaced as its just showing signs of slippage, but as you will see from my other recent post, thats only a £295 or under job.

So yes, reliablily is good, but parts from Toyota can be very expensive, but aftermaket places do have much better prices for the 'standard' service parts

Accoring to the magazines, the ride and comfort of the rolla is nothing as good as the golf so suggest you go for a good test drive first.

Have a look at Toyota dealer who might still have some old rollas, where you can do a good test drive, plus they used to give 12 months warranty, though not sure these days.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Oldcodger – that is a bit of a coincidence eh! Maybe I am unlucky but I have had two VW’s in the last 11 years (including this one) and have not been impressed with their reliability or “bulletproof". Admittedly I have not had them new and gone for cars around the 6-8 years old mark so that could have something to do with it.

So basically in terms of trim level it goes something like:

• SR
  • T-Spirit
  • Colour Collection
  • T3
  • T2

I’m not really into flashiness of the SR body kit to be honest, I’d rather something that is far more understated and draws less attention. I like the mod cons so T-Spirit & Colour Collection look like winners.

There are a couple of second hand dealers not too far so will deffo be doing a test drive. Not looking for something that swings around corners (like the old Peugeot 306, or the 1st generation Ford Focus, which we great at it) but something that is sure footed and comfortable. How do you find driving at motorway speeds as reading a few of the reviews of parkers have said that the low gearing makes it quite noisy?

Ha, Thought you were going to suggest we swap cars ! :laughing:

Did sit in a new Mk7 in the showroom the other week, nice, but it did not "Wow" me, in fact on the standard models the seats seem quiet ordinary and flat , only the top models seem to have any seat supprts.

Perhaps a test drive might change my mind ? though the reliabilty issue is an important factor for me.

Had two Toyotas over the last 15 years / 200k miles and never broken down.

Done all the servicing myself, easy enough if you are into doing that.

Think I would put them in this order of luxury, think the t2 does not have air con, the rest do

Tsprirt

t3

SR very similar to the CC kit but with the body style extras - engine the same

CC (nearly t3 spec)

t2

Not sure what engine you are looking at but the 1.6 petrol has a good bit of power, the 1.4 petrols I test drove, ok but no real ..oomph

Haha! Have to say the thought did cross my mind. If you said that you were in the market for a less than reliable MK5 Golf in a straight swap I would have been all over that request...

A test drive for the MK6/MK7 would make sense, and if you go for a car that's a few years old then I would hope reliability would be much better than what I have experienced. Perhaps buy one from the dealer you can get an extended warranty for? I really like the TSI engines from a performance point of view. Not that I am racer by any means, but having all that power underfoot when needed from a 1.4 engine is impressive.

Out of interest, why are you looking to move on from the Corolla?

Thanks for the trim break down. I'll be looking at a 1.6 T-Spirit and T3 in that case. I do motorway driving at least once a month so some 'oomph' is required.

And your experience of reliability with Toyota's is exactly what I am after. Quality engineering!

Out of interest, why are you looking to move on from the Corolla?

Just that mines is getting a bit old, folk keep telling me to get something newer! plus looking for something thats more comfortable given our bad roads; all the reviews say the Golf is the most comfortable in the class, with the Focus a close second.
Many reviews I have read say the rolla is on 3 out of 5 star for comfort and ride; but like anything you have to judge for yourself.
Might spend some time once the weathers better and track down all those little interior squeaks that make going over a bump worse than it actually is.

Mechanically no reason to want to sell it.

Thanks for the trim break down. I'll be looking at a 1.6 T-Spirit and T3 in that case. I do motorway driving at least once a month so some 'oomph' is required.
Don't rule out the Colour Collection ( aka special edition) , is basically the T2 with a factory built package of add ons making it almost T3 spec but still at T2 prices when it was sold; probably the most popular model so plenty around at decent prices though the 1.6 engine more sought after.
You may hear about engine oil burning problems but that was all pre 2005, not heard of anything on 2005-7 engines.
When you say the Golf mk v is unreliable, just generally or more specific eg electrics ?

Thanks oldcodger

When you say the Golf mk v is unreliable, just generally or more specific eg electrics ?
Well I have had the car for just under a year and in this time:
  • Broken electric window motor
  • Fuel leak
  • The radio that works when it wants to. CD player is fine though
  • Engine management light has come up on the dash complaining about emissions (new cat?). My garage has cleared this a couple of times, but has come back, usually after 2-3 months. Problem is this problem triggers other issues in the EMS so without taking it to the garage immediately, it’s hard to find out the exact cause.
  • Clutch biting point has rising quite quickly since I’ve owned it (new clutch?)
  • Unbalanced front tyre wear meaning new shocks and new front tyres
In addition to this there have been a few bits of interior trim that have fallen off, and a few rattles and squeaks. They are not a problem in isolation, but on top of everything else is not what I expected from a manufacturer with the reputation of VW.
It’s not fair to say that the car doesn’t have its positives (such as comfortable seats, willing engine, very spacious inside), I reckon that other people will have more luck than I have, especially if the car is newer model.

You don't say how old your Golf mk V is, seems it could be anywhere from 2004 -2009, guessing its around 2005/6 , if thats the year of Corolla you are also looking for.

Sounds like you have had a bit of bad luck on the list of faults in one year, but considering (assume) its 8 years old suppose its not that bad, again what mileage has it done ?

The high biting point on the clutch is a simlar problem on the toyotas I have owned but at under £300 to replace not that bad.

The EM light - replaced any lambda sensors ?

How much better a Corolla is going to be for you is difficult to say, after all you are talking about a car 8-9 years old, with a typical average miles of 90k+ and typically costing around £2000 on AutoTrader - to be fair you cannot expect 100% reliabilty given those facts.

Think you have to say, do you like the virtues of the Golf enough to get that one repaired properly or move to another totally different and unknown car ??

Noticed this Tsprit , sounds good, almost the same as mine but in blue and with the higher spec.

post-95973-0-29744200-1422877709_thumb.j

Hi just want to put in that I moved from a VW Golf MK 5 2004 to a Toyota and the jump is HUGE. I must admit (I had the top spec Golf) that VW are a 10/10 for comfort and toys. The car had everything, auto wiper sensors, day/light sensors, lots of cubbie holes, auto rear windscreen wipers. After 3.5 years of ownership I was yet still discovering new sensors on the car. All I had to do was push down the accelerator, everything else was practically done for me. However Toyota doesent really have much of that. I went from a 2004 Golf to a 2011 Auris. Only thing Auris has which is good is the USB and Aux. It doesent have a single sensor, steering wheel is as light as a feather and engine is lifeless. The build quality is also very bad and cheap. The only reason I chose Toyota was because of its reliability, its amazing whereas VW was terrible. I would definitely go back to a Golf but the reliability really does put me off. I hope this post doesent put you off but its the truth. Now people will say that there are different models with different specs but if you look at all of them, they are providing gadgets which were available on a 2004 model car on 2013 model cars. You will also feel the jump between VW and Toyota. Good luck

Also oldcodger, heres the stuff in 3 years of ownership in my VW Golf I had:

- New dashboard (under warranty)

- Cruise control faulty

- Window stuck open

- Fuel pump sensor

-Temperature sensor x2

- Brakes x2 (and no, I am not a heavy braker)

- 02 sensors x2

- new exhaust

- Bonnet latch broken

- Ignition coils x3

- Mirror controller circuit problem

- Gear box problems starting (80k miles)

- Battery

- Brake pipes corroded

- Throttle body

Diagnostics must of cost £500

Car had full VW service history, 80k mileage. I did just under 30k miles. Doesn't seem much but every 2 months there would be a new problem. Car was a hassle, constant worry it would break down. I brought 2 this year, both problematic, just gave up on VW's now.

Heres a picture of both of them. Also the MK4's are even worse, owned 2 of them this year too!!

post-142760-0-51425500-1422913976_thumb.

post-142760-0-04759100-1422914044_thumb.

Thanks for the reply guys

oldcodger - in answer to your questions

You don't say how old your Golf mk V is, seems it could be anywhere from 2004 -2009, guessing its around 2005/6 , if thats the year of Corolla you are also looking for.

Yep, bang on - 2006.

Sounds like you have had a bit of bad luck on the list of faults in one year, but considering (assume) its 8 years old suppose its not that bad, again what mileage has it done ?

Coming up to 100,000. My previous car (Ford Focus) got to this mileage with far less issues.

The EM light - replaced any lambda sensors ?

Haven't yet, but I'm sure it's coming

How much better a Corolla is going to be for you is difficult to say, after all you are talking about a car 8-9 years old, with a typical average miles of 90k+ and typically costing around £2000 on AutoTrader - to be fair you cannot expect 100% reliabilty given those facts.

I expect that a car this old will not have 100% reliability and to have to pay out here and there to get things repaired, but I have no faith that it will not continue to throw up problems like ToyotaAuris's hit list.

ToyotaAuris

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like we have had a similar experience and you've had a few Golfs to compare against! Impressive list of faults too....

I agree that if the car was reliable it would be a very decent car, but it's not, and at this point I'm happy to trade of the good things about the Golf for Toyota's reliability. Now I just need to find some time over the next couple of weekends to take a Corolla for a test drive and see how I get on with it. I did hear about the engine oil issues that oldcodger mentioned, but they don't seem to affect the late Corolla models.

Interesting comments from you both - thanks.

I kept last years AutoExpress Driver Power Survey and just looked up the Golfs figures - some surprising detail I had missed.

.......... total ranking reliabilty ranking out of 150 cars

Mk5 145 n/a

Mk6 89 136

Mk7 18 78

The Mk5 , seems to be really a true dog.

The Mk6 , rather frightening to be so low for a relatively young car.

The Mk7 , only 2 years old , yet half way down the reliabilty ratings.

As said my 2006 Rolla is 80k + and has only had / needed standard service items, oil, filters, plugs, brake pads and one set of discs.

So if the Golf , in any version, is out and the Auris is still poor, where do I go to next ......?

No problem oldcodger. I feel like I have just made your choice for a new car much harder, so sorry!

I also took a look at http://www.reliabilityindex.com/ top 100 cars to compare with your findings from AutoExpress Driver Power Survey and by comparison:

Toyota Corolla - 23rd

Toyota Auris - 42nd

VW Golf - not in the list

Interesting that the newer Auris has worse reliability than the Corolla.

My advice to look into if you're after a fairly newish car would be the Kia Ceed. I've been in a couple of newer model Kia's and have been impressed with the ride and build quality. Research prompts to decent price and good reliability. Unfortunately it's too new to be included in the reliability index, but maybe it will be in the AutoExpress one that you have

Whats your budget like? I could recommend you a few cars which I have had over the past 3 years (15 cars easy :P)

TA

Yikes,you change cars every couple on months !! - are you a trader ? all that paperwork must be a hassle.

Am just looking for something around the size of the rolla, but with the bones getting older, ride comfort is a keynote for me, but as said reliabilty is also very important.

Always had the motorway munchers, like Astra estates, Cavalier hatches, original Avensis , but for todays driving something a little smaller makes sense if I can keep the ride/comfort factor.

( still regret getting ride of the old mk1 Avensis, but it was very well worn at 10 years /160K miles, wondered about getting another and doing it up.. :D )

This rolla was 4 years old when I got it, but it was in such good condition and price I just had to have it.

Its just looking a bit worn these days, and folk keep telling me to get something newer, typically look for something around 1 to 3 years old so the price is decent.

With the golf being said to be the best ride in the class thought that was the way to go, but clearly the reliability seems a major issue if you don't get a good one.

K4b

Did test drive the Ceed when they were new, but its ride / suspension felt very odd to me, with the rear end almost bucking along.

Nah not a trader, I'm still in school and buy and sell cars on the side to make some extra cash :D. Personally I'd recomend you steer well away from a Golf because all are nightmares, just look up in google VW golf problems. I have no idea why they are so common, it makes them look as if they are really reliable. Stay with the !Removed!, these Germans are all over rated, Audi use same engine and exactly same parts as VW so stay away from them too. Nissans are not really that good either, (they use horrid French engines from Dacia, Peugeot, Reno. Only the Micra was what gave them a reliable reputation. Why not look at the CT200h? I don't know outside prices but from where I get cars, for 20k miles its about 10k, we're going to be purchasing one within the next month. Other than that I'd look at Ford Focus or the Hyundai i30. Hyundai are really good cars, we have one which we brought with 10k miles, drove to 100k miles without any servicing without any problems! In the 8 years of ownership we only changed light bulbs, not a single mechanical thing. Test drive the Hyundai, its amazing!!!

No relation to Arthur Dayley of Sheperds Bush by any chance ...? :laughing:

Sounds like you are part of a family business, if you can do the school work and make the money, then well done and good luck !

Will have to go for a drive in the Hyundai, have sat in a i30 and i20 but did not have time to road test.

Same with the Focus, will have to actually drive a more recent model.

Ironically the local ford dealer, parking is so bad, can seldom get in , so end up going to another miles away.

Never considered a Lexus, but seem the CT2000 is the entry model, though for £10k AutoTrader shows that as the bottom price for a 2011 model, assume your 10K will be a much newer one ?

The other factor with such a car is sevice and repair costs, have no idea but assume with all that onboard tech it will be very expensive ? Thought Toyota was dear so cannot imaging what their premium range would be ? !

Haha I get called Arthur Daley alot! No family business, just me. Needed a cheap car, dads mate showed us a place where cars going dirt cheap. Saw lots of dealers buying cars cheap prices and took the plunge too last year.

Back to topic, the CT200h uses the exact same engine as the Pruis, not a single part difference (part from body etc). Them engines go 200,000 miles, taxi fleets in our area use them alot. Its basically a Toyota in a tuxedo, reason why we are probably going to buy one. At 10k you can find 2012 and some 2013 models but Lexus you will get 2011. The service will kill you (seen £500 for major service at main dealer!!!) but from what I have read you service cars your self and shouldent be costly for you or you can use a local independent garage which will be considerably cheaper. Parts shouldent be problem because you can use Pruis parts and for reliability its number 4 in uk (auto express most reliable cars in UK) after the Pruis taking 2nd and 3rd position. Also it being Hybrid it apparently gives 69 MPG if pushed.

Also I think I forgot to thank you a couple of months ago for helping me with a Corolla 2.0 diesel I had (not sure if you remember but the car was standing still for very long time and it had battery/alternator problems, used to start clicking rapidly when trying to crank, you helped alot thanks :D)

Also why not look at the Auris? Great car 2011 model onwards, we have never had a problem with it regarding its reliability and also has warranty on most of them from 2011 onwards. They are cheap now, 5,5k you can get one with 40k miles on auto trader.

Had a closer look at the CT200h, schematics of the drive train look 10 times more complex that the space shuttle !

While I like to do most of my own servicing / repairs the thought of touching one of those, :dontgetit: think you would need a password just to open the bonnet !

Did look at the Auris when it first came out but really disliked the interior and that massive centre console.

It also got lots of poor comments by forum members who had owned /driven them.

Just looking at their web site seems the mk2 Auris has returned to a conventional interior with the centre console looking very similar to my old rollas !

Think the bottom line is I will have to go an have a good look and drive in the cars mentioned and also a good look around the Auris forum .

If you know of any similar buying places like you found, but up here in the north feel free to pm me ! ;)

(assuming its something other than the typical BCA type of site ?)

I'll PM you in a bit but I doubt you will get it low price since you need a dealer card.,

Hello folks
I am a new member here, looking to sell my VW Golf MK5 and get a Toyota Corolla. I have had the Golf now for coming up to a year after wanting one for a while, and to be honest I am not too impressed with it from a reliability or a build quality perspective. After speaking to my mechanic and a few friends who know about cars, they suggested that a Corolla sounds like a good fit.
So I am looking at getting one of the late models (2005-2006) 5 door and research says that this is the e12/e120. My mileage is generally less than 10,000 so higher mileage is not too much of an issues. The questions I have are:
What are the differences between the E11/E110 and the E12/E120 UK spec?. I have tried to find a comprehensive list but with all the different country variants that pop up when searching google, it’s not easy to fin.
What are specific Corolla things to look out for to make sure it’s been looked after.
What are the order of models in terms of least to most specced? It looks like the T-Spirit is the best, but then not sure what comes next.
How have you found the reliability in general? I realise that it will likely be a 9-10 year old car, but as long as it’s better than the Golf, I’ll be happy.
Thanks for reading.
K4b

Hey, I've actually driven both cars so allow me to add my 2cents if you will.

My brother owns a VW Golf 1.9TDi and it is great at driving around the city, it accelerates really well and its OK on the motorway.

I actually own a 2004 Corolla 2.0 D4D and it is OK with city driving, it has amazing torque but its A LOTTTTTT better than the Golf on the motorway. I have just done a 160mile trip like 30 minutes ago and its given me 60mpg (it said 62.5mpg on the screen). It will cruise forever at 70mph at around 2500rpm's. Effortless. A really good car for motorway driving.

I have had a few problems with my Corolla but even so, I would still recommend the Corolla over the Golf because it is built much more solid than the Golf, it feels alot sturdier and ofcourse it will last you donkey years.

As for the specs, I have the T-Spirit. The T-Spirit has button controls and the AC and a sunroof. It is really decent. The T3 instead has the manual controls, no AC or sunroof as far I know. I would personally go for a lower spec (even though I have a T-Spirit) as there is less to go wrong (if it goes wrong). All I care is about the engine and major components. I'm not fussed about AC or sunroof or any other extras. This is down to your own choice really.

What I will add though is, if you want the Toyota reliability then ensure you get your Toyota serviced regularly and it should last you for ages. Even though I've had a few issues with a leaking water pump and a dodgy bearing, my engine has been bulletproof (Praise the Lord, touch wood & all that...) I've never had an issue with the engine itself. It just keeps going. Hot, cold, snow, rain or shine the engine has never skipped a beat. This is probably down to the Toyota reputation of building reliable cars.

My brother in law has an Avensis 1.8vvti with 180k miles, uncle has one of them old 1999 Toyota sedan shapes, I dont even know what it is called but it has 300k miles on it, both my cousins have a Corolla with ~120k miles and all these cars are going strong. I was revving the Avensis the other day and honestly it did not even feel like an engine with 180k miles on it.

Anyway, cut this essay short.... Go for the Corolla, find one that has been taken care of and you wont regret it.

• Like 1

Hi TA,

Thanks for that info, will have to go and check out those places again, its some years since I was around them; sounds like they have changed a fair bit in respect of the newer cars.

Just re the Rolla for Kb4 as far as I know all models from 2004 onwards had a/c apart from the basic T2, even my CC has got it.

Again all a/c models from I think late 2005 or early 2006 had the silver panel for the digital a/c controls .

A feature I thought I wanted at the time, but in practice find they are distracting to use, much prefer the much more 'instant' rotary controls. - interesting that a lot of other makers still retain the rotary a/c / heating contols even in their top models.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links