Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo X-Play Starting Problem And Stalling/cutting Out

missjlt

I previously had an Aygo Go! from new and had no problems at all with it. After 3 years I was offered a good deal to trade it in for the new Agyo x-play. The x-play was delivered in November, after 2/2.5 weeks I started to experience problems with it. Driving to work one morning I went to pull away at a junction and the car stalled, it then wouldn't start again for around 30 seconds, turning the key all I got was a high pitched noise the engine itself didn't start at all. Ever since the car hasn't started properly, I get the same high pitched noise and then the engine will eventually start. When I took it back to the dealer they did some diagnostics tests but couldn't find anything wrong and as the fault is so intermittent they couldn't get it to replicate the fault.

After much complaining (my dad even had to call them and complain as they wouldn't listen to anything I said to them) they eventually took the spark plugs off and found they were black, the car was just 6 weeks old. They replaced the spark plugs but said I would have to drive the car and see if the fault repeats before they would know if it was dodgy spark plugs or an underlying fault. Needless to say the fault has recurred, they starting problem has gradually got worse and I nearly got hit at a junction last week when I went to pull away and the car nearly stalled, I managed to avoid stalling but nearly got hit by a car coming round the roundabout. I called the dealership again to book the car in and was made to feel like I was making a fuss over nothing and it was implied that the stalling problem was my driving and not the car. I am now recording the car every time I start it and already have 2 dodgy starts on video, I also called the complaints department at Toyota HQ who, unlike the dealership were very helpful.

Has anyone else experienced similar faults with the new Aygo?

Hello Joanne - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

I would find out the name of the dealer principal and write to them directly. Explain that you previously had an Aygo and you had no difficulty with that. Describe the problems you're having with the car and that you're losing confidence in both the car and the dealership's ability to find and rectify the fault. Ask whether, before you formally take action to reject the car, there is any further action the dealer principal can suggest to forestall rejection, rectify the fault, and restore your confidence in both the car and the dealership.

Ensure you keep a copy of the letter or e-mail you send.

Hi mate, sorry to hear about this. I have heard similar problem on Aygo 2014, cutting out engine while driving. The problem is normally the Battery terminals are not connected together properly. Check if they are loose and try to tighten them more, its likely to be this.

I too have just traded in my aygo go and got the x-pression. They loaned me a car of the same model while mine was being prepared (long story) and noticed it seemed to crank over longer than expected before starting. Now I am a vehicle technician myself so regarding your spark plugs being that badly fouled up suggests to me a possible engine management issue with fuel metering. Carbon on the plugs could be a rich mixture also this will reduce the life of the catalytic converter too!

I have just looked at my pre delivery service check sheet and checking Battery terminals for tightness has been checked. I intend to go round the car myself and do a like for like inspection and see I i find any thing wrong. I have noticed one thing so far when driving and that it the air con is not all that cold. When I turn it on I feel the temperature and then do the same with it off I can't tell much of a difference. I should know as I am also a qualified automotive air con service technician. I am in bed with a nasty virus at the moment so have not had chance to test it proper but will do.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links