Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Ts Icon+ Auto Folding Mirrors

mad_m4tty

Hi all,

Picked up my new Auris TS today, very happy with the car so far but one thing that I wanted to clarify was whether the mirrors can be programmed to auto fold when locking the car (currently have to press the button in). I did briefly attempt the 'fix' mentioned in another thread but no joy:

(http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/145406-auris-hybrid-bluetooth-folding-mirror-problems/?p=1261368)

I am not sure if the above fix was only for the Excel trim level however. Can anyone else confirm if this same fix has worked on the Icon+ Auris HSD?

Cheers

Matt

Mine auto-fold on Advance trim (middle spec. Spanish) - can be disabled/re-enabled by procedure noted on page 222 of manual

Mine auto-fold on Advance trim (middle spec. Spanish) - can be disabled/re-enabled by procedure noted on page 222 of manual

Does the fold button have 2 positions? I keep trying the procedure but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Bear in mind that Spanish models may have a different spec to UK models.

On my Prius the fold button has just 2 positions - in (folded) or out (unfolded).

It only works with the accessory or READY modes. So when I go to open a door, they're already folded in because I pressed the button before I switched the Hybrid system off. Just when I want to see if it's safe to open the door. Brilliant!

I'm so full of admiration for Toyota launching a Hybrid system 18 years ago that's still about the best around, and full of loathing for marketing or whoever makes the decision re UK equipment levels. Do they actually drive the cars themselves??? And have they driven any competitors' cars (later than a model T?!)

Before I retired a chap who worked for me and had a cheap and nasty Fiesta, from about 10 or 12 years ago - but it did have folding mirrors with a switch that said "open/auto/closed" - auto linked it to the door locks - until 2012, Prius mirrors were manually folded by hand!

On my Prius the fold button has just 2 positions - in (folded) or out (unfolded).

It only works with the accessory or READY modes. So when I go to open a door, they're already folded in because I pressed the button before I switched the Hybrid system off. Just when I want to see if it's safe to open the door. Brilliant!

I'm so full of admiration for Toyota launching a Hybrid system 18 years ago that's still about the best around, and full of loathing for marketing or whoever makes the decision re UK equipment levels. Do they actually drive the cars themselves??? And have they driven any competitors' cars (later than a model T?!)

Before I retired a chap who worked for me and had a cheap and nasty Fiesta, from about 10 or 12 years ago - but it did have folding mirrors with a switch that said "open/auto/closed" - auto linked it to the door locks - until 2012, Prius mirrors were manually folded by hand!

The two positions does sound similar to mine, I did actually find the instructions in the manual which confirm the fix I've seen on here and apparently you do need to do it when the car is 'off' but I have yet to get it working!

On the Kia I had previously, it did have the 3 position rocker switch which was very straightforward with auto mode folding the mirrors when locking, I can't quite fathom why the bods at Toyota have made it into some sort of convoluted procedure to get this same functionality??

Does the fold button have 2 positions? I keep trying the procedure but it doesn't seem to work for me.

No - procedure works exactly as described in the manual. Power off completely (driver's door closed) - push mirror fold switch and ^ arrow together for 2+ seconds

where is the ^ arrow and are the mirrors folded or unfolded when you press the fold switch ?

The Icon+ doesn't have the auto fold option as the car is missing the comfort module ECU, this comes with a pack as Standard fitted on Excel models and upwards ( continent has a higher trim level than our Excel available ) which also includes: Auto lights, Auto wiper, 4 x Auto windows, Keyless entry & Dual Zone climate.

The factory makes 3 basic spec vehicle in terms of trim:

D is entry Spec UK Active trim is based on this model

N is Mid spec and UK Icon, Sport & Icon + are based on this model

G is top Spec and UK Excel is based on this model

On top of the basic grades above there are 1000's of factory option packs which add spec as well as local market option packs formatted by individual markets to suit their needs.

In essence your Auris is a mid spec N grade car the same as an Icon but with factory options such as:

Sports seats heated with electric lumbar

Soft touch dash insert

Cruise control

Privacy rear glass

Electric fold mirrors

Plus local market option of:

Touch 2 nav

Icon + specific alloys

In the case of the auto fold mirrors they are not included in an option pack but are included as standard on G spec models ang above.

where is the ^ arrow and are the mirrors folded or unfolded when you press the fold switch ?

Well this is part of the problem, the manual doesn't mention which position the mirrors should be in before starting the procedure, See below image of the buttons.

rxHn6Wt.jpg

Currently when powering the car on, the mirrors simply return to either folded or unfolded depending on the switch position and nothing happens when I lock the car.

The Icon+ doesn't have the auto fold option as the car is missing the comfort module ECU, this comes with a pack as Standard fitted on Excel models and upwards ( continent has a higher trim level than our Excel available ) which also includes: Auto lights, Auto Wiper, 4 x Auto windows, Keyless entry & Dual Zone climate.

On top of the basic grades above there are 1000's of factory option packs which add spec as well as local market option packs formatted by individual markets to suit their needs.

In essence your Auris is a mid spec N grade car the same as an Icon but with factory options such as:

Soft touch dash insert

Cruise control

Privacy rear glass

Electric fold mirrors

Touch 2 nav

Icon + specific alloys

In the case of the auto fold mirrors they are not included in an option pack but are included as standard on G spec models ang above.

Ah I see, that makes sense!

Thanks for explaining, I only wish it could have been slightly clearer in the manual :rolleyes:

The Icon+ doesn't have the auto fold option as the car is missing the comfort module ECU, this comes with a pack as Standard fitted on Excel models and upwards ( continent has a higher trim level than our Excel available ) which also includes: Auto lights, Auto Wiper, 4 x Auto windows, Keyless entry & Dual Zone climate.

Soft touch dash insert

Cruise control

Privacy rear glass

Electric fold mirrors

Touch 2 nav

Icon + specific alloys

Ah I see, that makes sense!

Thanks for explaining, I only wish it could have been slightly clearer in the manual :rolleyes:

Therein the problem lies, if I had a pound for every time someone complained that the owners manual shows equipment they don't have I'd be a lot better off. My Excel has the same manual as yours, my mirror switch looks almost identical and using the guide in the manual I can turn the Auto fold on/off. The problem is 1 manual is written for all variants this alone has to be translated into 20+ languages if the book was also trim specific there would be hundreds if not thousand of manual types just for one car over its model life.

Strange, I was going to start a thread regarding the length of manuals. With modern electronic publishing/printing methods it should be possible to refine things to suit each variation of car. The current 788 pages could probably be reduced to under 200; with a corresponding reduction in paper usage and weight-saving. Plus they'd have some grateful customers.

• Like 1

Personally I don't see there is any issue with the manuals covering a variety of specs. We've had a variety of new cars from manufacturers such as Nissan, Mazda, Honda, Toyota and Hyundai, and the owners manuals similarly cover a variety of specs. At the end of the day, we've known what spec our cars have had when we've bought them, and know what features the cars have or don't have.

The question of saving on paper and print costs has been answered partly by manufacturers like Toyota starting to offer condensed manuals as standard issue, and partly by having electronic versions of the full owners manuals for owners to access if they wish.

I've been umming and ahhing about this kit, but am a tad off put at the price. I've tried a few best offers, but none have been accepted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-auto-folding-side-mirror-control-alphard-estima-corolla-prius-yaris-etc-/251492252201?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a8e1b3a29

I've been umming and ahhing about this kit, but am a tad off put at the price. I've tried a few best offers, but none have been accepted.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-auto-folding-side-mirror-control-alphard-estima-corolla-prius-yaris-etc-/251492252201?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a8e1b3a29

Hmm, according to their compatibility check "This item does not fit Toyota Auris Touring Sports 2015 ADE18_, ZWE18_, ZRE18_ [2013-2015] Estate 1.8 Hybrid."

I would be a bit wary of fitting these kits anyway, it might affect the warranty as I suspect there will be something in the terms relating to modifications.

I would be a bit wary of fitting these kits anyway, it might affect the warranty as I suspect there will be something in the terms relating to modifications.

From what I've seen its plug and play, not wire chopping, but if it doesn't fit the Auris then this isn't going to be much help :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links