Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Egr Valve Clean

Kallas

I just would like to share my success story with you. For the past 5 months my 2011 Verso 2.0 D4D diesel only managed an average of 38mpg for mixed motorway and urban driving. Frankly it was very disappointing. Even after being serviced no improvement was gained.

I suspected it might have been an EGR valve related issued and finally decided to find a guide on how to clean it.

It took me about 10mins to remove. Even though the car only done 36k miles, the inside of the valve was heavily caked with black carbon. I used a small stiff brush and cleaned the valve port area with carburettor cleaner. Refitted it. I did not need to replace any gaskets so in all it was a pretty easy job to do.

Since the clean I've done mostly motorway driving with the fuel consumption returning to "normal" 48mpg average. I might also try BG244 Fuel System Cleaner and see if it improves even further.

• Like 2

Thanks Jaco, that is very helpful. My verso is 2013 2.0 D4D and I always get 48-56 mpg since I bought it from new. I will keep an eye on these numbers and consider your method to improve the numbers. Is there any online video or manual that you found helpful to demonstrate the cleaning method? Best wishes,

Yas

• 1 month later...

Just done the EGR on my 2009 Verso TR

As a newbie to Toyota's the removal,cleaning and refit took me around one and a half hours. In fact I inadvertently disassembled and cleaned the electronic denso unit attached to the EGR block.

At 77k on the clock it was very clogged up; i took a lot of time to scrape and vacuum the soot from the ports in the engine block. I need to clean the Dyson before the other half see's it.

Restarting the engine threw up some warning lights(VSC,ABS), the trick here was to press the brake 8 times rapidly whilst the engine was off, which then cleared the lights on start up.

All this was to find why I cannot get more than 44 average MPG even on motorway journeys driving at no more than 70 MPH.

Changed the air filter as it was very dirty and the previous owner has no service history.

Probably do the other filters tomorrow as I work very slow without a Haynes manual nearby.

I'll give it a few days and motorway journeys to see if performance improves as my immediate conclusion was there's no change in MPG or the rather sluggish acceleration.

Little update,

Went from London to Brighton today and computer average fuel consumption was still 44 mpg dead after a 100+ mile journey. If anything it might drop to 39.5 MPG around town. I done my own calculation which still came out at 44MPG

Decided to reset the ECU by diconnecting the Battery terminals then pumping the brakes till firm. Left car 5 minutes then reconnected.

Wow !! The MPG shot up to 55-60 MPG on a 5 mile test run using sixth gear at 50MPH,. of course i'll have to do a real world calculation but things are looking promising.

Could be previous owners never sorted EGR problems and the ECU decided to compensate somehow! Maybe its nothing to do with sooty EGR but i'm feeling rather happy now!

Little side note- i used silicone electrical contact grease on most of the engine bay plugs as this was a mod from my Seatcupranet days.

• 1 month later...

I have to admit that my improved fuel consumption after using BG244 fuel system cleaner did not last. I'm back to 39mpg of 70% motorway and 30% slow traffic. I feel this is unacceptable as for two years I managed an average of 49mpg. The drop was not gradual. All was fine until after our return from a camping holiday in France. For the next couple of months I used the car to commute to my local train station, mostly sitting in traffic. The fuel economy dropped to 39mpg and never returned to high 40's even after mainly motorway driving. in The car is a 2011 model and still under warranty.

If my ERG valve is faulty, will it be covered by Toyota's warranty?

What i'm gathering from these Toyota's is that an ECU reset will not last once you stop doing motorway journeys. Because i do mostly town driving the average MPG gets down to 40MPG and even when I hit the motorway it struggles to get to 41MPG.

Yesterday I was motorway driving not seeing the expected 50+ MPG, so I stopped off at a service station and undid the Battery negative, pumped my break till firm reconnected and hit the road. Immediately the MPG went upto 50+. On my way back after a 4 hour stop I was still getting 50+MPG. I now expect this to drop to 40+ MPG now i'm driving about town again but the ECU's should not have to be reset to get better fuel consumption, so I think the Toyota ECU's are pants.

As your car under warranty it would be good to put these problems to Toyota and see what happens. Egr clean is an easy job really if this not covered under warranty.

What i'm gathering from these Toyota's is that an ECU reset will not last once you stop doing motorway journeys. Because i do mostly town driving the average MPG gets down to 40MPG and even when I hit the motorway it struggles to get to 41MPG.

Yesterday I was motorway driving not seeing the expected 50+ MPG, so I stopped off at a service station and undid the battery negative, pumped my break till firm reconnected and hit the road. Immediately the MPG went upto 50+. On my way back after a 4 hour stop I was still getting 50+MPG. I now expect this to drop to 40+ MPG now i'm driving about town again but the ECU's should not have to be reset to get better fuel consumption, so I think the Toyota ECU's are pants.

As your car under warranty it would be good to put these problems to Toyota and see what happens. Egr clean is an easy job really if this not covered under warranty.

The MPG average meter on your car shows an average MPG from the last time it was reset. If the car does mostly city driving you will need to do as much motorway driving if not a little more to pull the average back up. By resetting the Battery on a motorway trip you will raise the MPG displayed until the city driving pulls the average down again . There is no need to disconnect the ECU you can reset the meter by selecting the average MPG display then pressing and holding the selector button this will do same thing as you are by disconnecting the Battery.

Devon Aygo,

I'm talking about actual MPG not what the computer display. See attached fuely logs for the last few months. Notice the spike in mid august which relates directly AFTER the ERG valve was cleaned. The dip beforehand relates to me hammering the car down the motorway with BG244 already in the tank trying to clear all the soot. I'm back to 39mpg which I'm not happy with.

Now not sure if this is a ECU or ERG issue. I checked the for error codes by running an OBD reader and Torque on my phone and it came clear. The engine still feel strong and sounds fine. Just the fuel consumption is down almost 10mpg from a year ago

post-132770-0-49060500-1445285191_thumb.

post-132770-0-87136000-1445285191_thumb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links