Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sat Nav Stopped Working

mastereagle

hi there,

i have searched my issue in the forum but haven't found anything similar, so here it goes.

i was in europe driving back and using sat nav, all of a sudden it stops working and says that isnt unable to read dvd. so i stopped and took the dvd out to give it a clean because that could fix the issue, well when i get dvd out it nearly burned my hand, it was so hot. but i was only been using it for a bout 45 mins, dont know why it became so hot. so i gave it a rest to see if it could work later on. no joy. i then tried about 6-7 hrs later same thing happened.

so i was wondering if this has happened to any of you, and if its a goner, it worth fixing it?

really appreciate some feed back

many thanks

I posted another thread about discs, but the issue is principally similar to mine..

The DVD has scoring as if the laser reader, part of the bracket it sits on, has fouled the disc.

I guess if I polished it sufficiently it may improve, although it still works most of the time but just takes episodes of not able to read disc etc......

A new disc would be prohibitively expensive, but not prepared to go there if the drive is, what call in technical terms in IT.. gubbed.

I posted another thread about discs, but the issue is principally similar to mine..

The DVD has scoring as if the laser reader, part of the bracket it sits on, has fouled the disc.

I guess if I polished it sufficiently it may improve, although it still works most of the time but just takes episodes of not able to read disc etc......

A new disc would be prohibitively expensive, but not prepared to go there if the drive is, what call in technical terms in IT.. gubbed.

hi there

thanks for reply.

so you are saying that the unit is broken??? if so that would be costly to repair or replace!!???

Not saying the unit is broken necessarily, but with mine, the unit appears to have lightly scored the disc.....

Replacing the disc in mine might be sufficient, but there is clearly something not quite right with the system if it has done this to the disc... albeit over the space of nearly 8 years!

This happened to mine, only on the CD, It only happened the once, and with a brand new CD, oblitorating the track that it was on.

As it was frosty outside I put it down to condensation forming ice crystals on the lens assembly.

My 2007 d4d satnav has recently completely died, and it can't read the SatNav DVD anymore.

I bvelieve this issue is because the DVD drive has been running constantly for 8 years (usually these drives last about 3 years in PCs with intermittant use).

I think its a 41 ribbon cable DVD drive that is inside the player - I've taken the Head unit out and apart once (I have photos, but honestly I'm now completely confused as to whether we are allowed to link to external sites after being suspended for linking to my work I was giving away on a file download site).

I am still hopeful to find a DVD player to replace the one inside the head unit, but the bottom line is once the DVD player is completely gone, next time you connect the head unit the Operating system can't re-install as all the software is on the DVD so you will no longer have RADIO or CD playing cabapilities.

Sorry to bear the bad news.

....addendum - put a "blank" dvd into the drive see if its damaged by the system spinning it up. It'll come up "unable to read disc" - but that's to be expected.

A last ditch resort may be to try TOOTHPASTE on the disc - cleaning radially - it may clean the scratched bits.

This is last ditch.

I wouldn't try wax or wax based scratch removers.

• 1 month later...

Well having had the car in for the head gasket and having previously had problems with the DVD which had stopped working, partly my fault for getting a little bit if lens cleaning tissue stuck in there... don't ask....

The car came back with the radio out of action as they had disconnected the Battery to do the head work.....

So, it was time to strip the centre of the dash and take the unit out.

Out it came, not as hard as expected, and a strip down and removal of the DVD player to extract the paper sliver and clean the laser optics....

Having managed to rebuild it, twice, due to not quite seating one of the ribbon cables correctly the first time, the system now works better than it has since I got the car.

So much so I have sourced an OEM disc set for the car and when they are back in stock will be spending another £75 to get them.....

This is not a job for the faint hearted... I have some experience of stripping car dashboards out to fit systems in Police cars and am also a Toshiba laptop warranty repair tech and have plenty of experience with this sort of stuff.... so none of it has phased me at all, but could scare the pants off most folk...

It's just as well I like this car as I have spent a fortune on it.... but it is going well and hopefully will last another couple of years.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links