Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intermittent Electrical Starting Problem

fixitphil

Hello folks,

Long time no post, but have to share my puzzling journey.

When operating starter key, the starter tried to kick in then out. Operate key again, starter works. This problem became more regular. Us older folks would suspect Battery condition or connections. Checked all this and because my Toyota Battery was a few years old, changed it to a heavy duty Lion Battery (latest Calcium/Calcium) technology. The same starting fault occurred???. Intermittent. Took starter off car and with it safe in a vice stuck my old Toyota battery across it, bang bang bang, Many times, no fault. Refitted starter motor. Checked the starter relay that drives the starter solenoid, seemed OK, (it was). These cars for some reason DOG only knows, have done away with the manual button at the rear of the solenoid, So I fitted an old push to make circuit push-button (via a 40 amp fuse) between the battery live terminal and the solenoid input cable via an heavy duty insulation displacement connector (think they are called break out connectors). This enabled me to, with car out of gear, to start the engine (with ignition switch on only) from the engine compartment, bypassing the ignition switch and the slave relay wiring. Car starts fine. The first fault had been the ignition switch module, which I replaced. Car was OK for a time. Car developed starter problems again when battery(Lion unit) had been left for a few days without being run. Battery had no power. Charged it as car is in a garage, no problem. Car would start OK again, But if left for a few days without being run, battery would be gutless. Off load battery measured 12.6 volts. I have had this battery go down to 6volts.???? Yesterday I started car from engine bay and saw the voltage drop to 9 volts. I presume a mechanical fault in the battery manufacture process. I put my old Toyota battery back on and all is well.

Therefore first problem had been the starter switch module.

Second problem a faulty battery which I shall be returning to supplier as it had a 3years guarantee, and I have only had it 18 months on very light duty.

Tested the Lion battery by fully charging for 24 hours putting a light load of 3,25 amps ( a 4 ohm 200 watt resistor) and watched as within half a minute the battery voltage dropped from 12.6volts to 9.9volts.

Hope this will save some of you fixit guys all my hassle.

All the best

fixitphil

• Like 1

FixitPhil you really are.

It is nice to hear other experiences. You did it with minimum expense. I had my starter refurbished nearly 2 years ago, and it is much stronger than before. The starter switch which I changed a few back is still good, but I like the idea of a push button. It would save wear and tear on the switch. The Battery I changed a long time ago and it is fine.

Yes your Lion Battery must be faulty. The old Toyota Battery back on duty! That says a lot.

Konrad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links